• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I'm looking to replace my current carry gun with a .40 compact single stack in the near future, and my budget is about $400.

The two guns I see that fit my specs and budget are the Taurus 740 'Slim' and the Kahr 'CW40'. YES, I have read up on both of these pistols, and I am aware of what problems have been reported with both...

Since these guns are so similar in specs and price, which one would you choose for yourself, and why?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have a Kahr CW40. Once broken in,(200 rds fired) and you learn how to reassemble the slide too frame, not a bad firearm. Buy an extra mag, and keep reading. Beware of the spring mounted on the frame around the slide return lever. They bend and if not in the correct position will make your Kahr into a single shooter. Mine is good to go know and it is a CCW, with a S&W 442 as a BUG. Great combo.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I've got a cw40 and it's had no problems. It is very tight out of the box but a after a few rounds it loosens up nicely. I have 250 rounds in mine with no malfunctions. The trigger in mine isn't heavy but long. It is also so very smooth.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Between those 2 I like the 740 slim. Nothing against Kahr, but I am not a big fan of their handguns other than their 9mm models. If it were between the 709 and cw9 I would say Kahr, but I was very impressed with the way the 740 shoots. Good luck with your decision.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Friend has a 709; a little picky on ammo, but otherwise fine. Neighbor has a CW9, no issues I have heard of so far. *shrug*

Handle both; take home the one that feels better to you. At this point, you've already got two that you like that are in your price range; just find which is more comfortable for you.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Both should be decent guns. I've owned the 9mm models of both. Both are single stack,etc. Outside of brand reputation, etc there are two main differences: Trigger and how the grip feels. Those are very "preference based". Find out what feels good in your hand. Then dry fire each and get a feel for the trigger. Then decide. And don't look back.

rough-n-tumble

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Albany
    I have the Kahr P40 and I'm pondering on selling it a moving over to the Taurus Slim. And this in no knock on the Kahr. The gun has shot great for me and while the recoil can be sharp it is managed.

If you've picked up the 740 I'd like to hear your thoughts on it help me set my decision.

thanks

Last edited:

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I don't own the 740 but I do own and shoot a CW 40 and it is a great carry gun. The recoil is snappy but is not hard to use, I have put maybe 500 rounds of all kinds of ammo through mine without a jam, fail to fire or any other problem.
    Bill...

Top Bottom