• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    We could argue the possibilities of different weapons and cartridges all day. With little training almost anyone could hit with a 338 Lapua and very few with a .308. An amateur shooter with a scoped hunting rifle doesn't have much of a chance of making that shot.

Heh I'm just trying to keep us out of the USSS radar.

Here's a pic from training back in July. I put little circles around the steel targets which where spread out to 800 yards. Trust me, it ain't as easy as some might believe. Add a little bit of wind to the equation and things get pretty difficult.

range422lc2.jpg

Please tell me your job requires that kind of training... hahaha

Yeah.. and there doesn't appear to be a reference to any article that I can find, either.
    Wasn't an article... was all over the news this morning. But here are some...

ABC News: Suspects Allegedly Plotted Obama Shooting
    Barack Obama 'ought to be shot' says racist plotter - Telegraph
    AFP: Police probe 'plot' to kill Obama
    FBI scrutinises gun threat - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times

Last edited by a moderator:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wish it was mine or even private property. That was taken on Camp Atterbury, range 42. Great spot for unknown distance and angle shooting.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    NO WAY IN HE** could they have done something like this.

Don't forget to factor in updrafts from shooting in an urban cliff enviroment. They can be pretty harsh.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Secret Service my man.. Secret Service.

What did you think SS meant? The Schutzstaffel of the Nazi party?
    I understand your PM now.

I took SS to mean Secret Service, but I read your post to mean that Obama would permanently have SS, as he would hopefully be President. That's why I said I hope it doesn;t mean what I think it means.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I took SS to mean Secret Service, but I read your post to mean that Obama would permanently have SS, as he would hopefully be President. That's why I said I hope it doesn;t mean what I think it means.

Thats what I was seeing as well...:n00b:

:)

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    With a 22-250 they didn't have a chance. If they would have actually attempted it, some innocent bystander would probably have been hit instead.

I am a better than average shot, I even spent some time in sniper school before Saddam decided he owned Kuwait and I got called beck to my unit. At 750 yards an off the rack hunting rifle just doesn't have the accuracy, especially if factory ammo is used.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Long shot example

Here's actual info on a long (but not 750 yards long) shot, at a much smaller target, with a relatively low power rifle. May 30, 2005. My wife and I are in South Dakota on our last day of a 3 day prairie dog shoot. We tell the guide our goal for the day is to get her into the Varmint Hunter's Assoc. 500 yard club. She's shooting a Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme chambered in .223 Rem. It's got a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24X40 scope and is zeroed at 200 yards. The ammo is Winchester White Box 45 gr HP. With the guide spotting, it took her 6 shots to walk a round out to a kill that lasered 532 yards. During that process, she cranked in about 3.5 feet of elevation at 100 yards. I don't have a ballistic program to determine how high above that prairie dog the rifle was actually aiming but I'd guess a good technical term would be way-the-hell-above-it! This may give you a half-way decent idea about how difficult longer shots may be.

Unless these boys were extremely accomplished long range shooters, their chances of a first shot hit would have been reduced to dumb luck! This ain't like shooting a deer at 80 yards, bubba! :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I say it depends on the caliber and gun as well as the shooter. .308 is considered pretty accurate, so is my swiss k31.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I say it depends on the caliber and gun as well as the shooter. .308 is considered pretty accurate, so is my swiss k31.

I agree. I just don't think some redneck with an off the shelf 22-250 and factory ammo could pull it off.

I am an above average shot, and a .308 in a match grade rifle under perfect conditions would still be difficult at 750 yds. That's why snipers are trained to get into a position between 300 and 400 yards from their intended target.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I agree. I just don't think some redneck with an off the shelf 22-250 and factory ammo could pull it off.

I am an above average shot, and a .308 in a match grade rifle under perfect conditions would still be difficult at 750 yds. That's why snipers are trained to get into a position between 300 and 400 yards from their intended target.

...or if all else fails, use a 50bmg.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not only could they not connect with a first shot, but I doubt they could connect with the following dozen. One would either need to be an experienced sniper or have an experienced spotter to call corrections.

ETA: There are some statistics on SnipersHide pertaining to military snipers. At 500yds, the success rate of a first shot starts to drop dramatically. And these are highly trained individuals who practice a lot.

Top Bottom