• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Watch What Happens When a 76-Year-Old Man Is Confronted By Police for Not Displaying a Vehicle Inspection Sticker | Video | TheBlaze.com

76 Year old man is pulled over in Texas. Officer points out that he does not have a safety inspection sticker. Old man points to the brand new dealer plates on the car and that he is exempt until he gets plated.

Officer reaches for some paperwork in the man's hand. Old man apparently is resisting when he didn't let go of paperwork.

Poor guy got tased twice.

It is this sort of crap that makes other officers look bad. Young cop listening to rap on duty, watching too many COPS shows, and getting big and bad on the local citizenry. This guy should be fired and sent to jail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...for the music alone.

Holy crap, thank you.

Anyway,

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. From an officer's standpoint, someone who doesn't pull over and keeps going into a parking lot is a danger sign. I'd also like to know if the guy got out of his car on his own or was ordered out, because at 0:50 it seems like he's just walking off. That's another danger sign. Yes, hay will be made about the guy's age. Thomas Hardy was 61 when he shot and killed Ptl. Moore. Age alone is certainly no indicator someone isn't a threat. The officer may have screwed the pooch, the old fellow may have told him to pound sand and he wasn't going to give ID. I don't know poo about inspection stickers and if you can tell if a car needs one just from the plate or not, but that's going to matter quite a bit. An officer can be mistaken in fact, if reasonable, but cannot be mistaken in the law. (ie if I reasonably believe you just threw a cigarette out the window but in fact a very tiny comet flew by your car and I pull you over, that's ok. If I believe its against the law to drive with your foot hanging out the window and pull you over and no such law exists, that's not ok.)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What a jerk.

I am from Texas, There is a grace period on inspection that is as long as a paper plate is valid.

This gestapo heavy handed attitude against citizens while investigating minor infractions of motor vehicle codes is ridiculous. Not everyone on the street is a violent drug dealing gang member.

Most of my interactions have been pretty fair if not positive. A couple of times the patrolman had a real attitude and talked down to me like I was a criminal. I chalked it up to him having a bad day and being immature. The rap listening sociopath needs another career, like mopping the kitchen at a fast food joint.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ... It will be interesting to see how things shake out. From an officer's standpoint, someone who doesn't pull over and keeps going into a parking lot is a danger sign...

I find that interesting. I don't get pulled over often, but when I do, I ALWAYS try to pull off somewhere out of traffic for the officer's protection, as well as to keep from blocking traffic -- a side street, parking lot, etc. A deputy pulled me over one night on a relatively busy street, so I pulled onto the next side street and stopped. Turns out, he was just saying hi (he was a friend), but acted a bit churlish because I hadn't stopped IMMEDIATELY and blocked traffic. Perhaps I should stop and block traffic next time to avoid being tased! ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I find that interesting. I don't get pulled over often, but when I do, I ALWAYS try to pull off somewhere out of traffic for the officer's protection, as well as to keep from blocking traffic -- a side street, parking lot, etc. A deputy pulled me over one night on a relatively busy street, so I pulled onto the next side street and stopped. Turns out, he was just saying hi (he was a friend), but acted a bit churlish because I hadn't stopped IMMEDIATELY and blocked traffic. Perhaps I should stop and block traffic next time to avoid being tased! ;)

I'm with you on this. I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time but if there was a safe place CLOSE by that I could pull into to get out of traffic I would do so. My thinking that I am getting both of us out of harm's way apparently is not a good idea.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not to COMPLETELY derail the thread, but I'm on the same page as N8RV. I've heard for YEARS that LE recommends pulling over somewhere safe. Now, I hear that is a danger sign? Confused. :dunno:

My FIL is the same age as the gentleman in the video. I can totally imagine him going off on some "young punk" cop that pulled him over for "no good reason".

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Holy crap, thank you.

Anyway,

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. From an officer's standpoint, someone who doesn't pull over and keeps going into a parking lot is a danger sign. I'd also like to know if the guy got out of his car on his own or was ordered out, because at 0:50 it seems like he's just walking off. That's another danger sign. Yes, hay will be made about the guy's age. Thomas Hardy was 61 when he shot and killed Ptl. Moore. Age alone is certainly no indicator someone isn't a threat. The officer may have screwed the pooch, the old fellow may have told him to pound sand and he wasn't going to give ID. I don't know poo about inspection stickers and if you can tell if a car needs one just from the plate or not, but that's going to matter quite a bit. An officer can be mistaken in fact, if reasonable, but cannot be mistaken in the law. (ie if I reasonably believe you just threw a cigarette out the window but in fact a very tiny comet flew by your car and I pull you over, that's ok. If I believe its against the law to drive with your foot hanging out the window and pull you over and no such law exists, that's not ok.)

Not true anymore, I just read that the supreme court validated a cocaine bust based on a traffic stop due to a failed third brake light. The state this occured in has no requirement for the 3rd brake light but the SC considedered it RAS when they found the coke. Don't know how this weighed into it but when asked by the officer for permission to search the vehicle the citizen complied.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I'm with you on this. I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time but if there was a safe place CLOSE by that I could pull into to get out of traffic I would do so. My thinking that I am getting both of us out of harm's way apparently is not a good idea.

That has always been my thinking as well. Should I just immediately pull over regardless of a safer spot for both of us just a few yards ahead?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Watch What Happens When a 76-Year-Old Man Is Confronted By Police for Not Displaying a Vehicle Inspection Sticker | Video | TheBlaze.com

76 Year old man is pulled over in Texas. Officer points out that he does not have a safety inspection sticker. Old man points to the brand new dealer plates on the car and that he is exempt until he gets plated.

Officer reaches for some paperwork in the man's hand. Old man apparently is resisting when he didn't let go of paperwork.

Poor guy got tased twice.

It is this sort of crap that makes other officers look bad. Young cop listening to rap on duty, watching too many COPS shows, and getting big and bad on the local citizenry. This guy should be fired and sent to jail.

Uhh... what's wrong with listening to rap on duty?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That has always been my thinking as well. Should I just immediately pull over regardless of a safer spot for both of us just a few yards ahead?

Depends. If the safer area is a few yards away, no problem. But if you go half a mile looking for a safe spot, that's going make the officer wonder what's going on. Pull over immediately, or be reasonable in how far you continue looking for a safe spot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Old guy apparently was hard of hearing. Officer being wrong or not, handle your issue after the stop.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Holy crap, thank you.

Anyway,

Driver was in the left turn lane, when the way was clear he completed his left turn and then pulled in a parking lot within yards of the left turn being completed. Where should he of pulled over at? Should he have block the entrance to the business's parking lot?

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Depends. If the safer area is a few yards away, no problem. But if you go half a mile looking for a safe spot, that's going make the officer wonder what's going on. Pull over immediately, or be reasonable in how far you continue looking for a safe spot.

Ok, thanks! Glad I'm not off-base with my line of thinking.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Indiana code says pull to the right and stop. It's really that simple. If I don't want you to stop there, I won't light you up there. If I light up and you just assume I'm after you and pull left to "help me out", and I'm trying to pass on the left, it increases the odds of a crash at worst and slows my response at the best.

See, YOU know you're trying to be safer. We know we've already picked the place for the stop. We also know that drivers who keep rolling slowly are more likely to be stuffing contraband, be preparing to fight or flee, etc. Just like you learn the body language of someone considering running on foot, you learn that certain signs in the way someone acts when you light them up increase the odds they aren't going to be compliant.

Driver was in the left turn lane, when the way was clear he completed his left turn and then pulled in a parking lot within yards of the left turn being completed. Where should he of pulled over at? Should he have block the entrance to the business's parking lot?

I don't know at what point the lights came on. I'm just telling in general what continuing to drive sets up in an officer's mind. If you sat down next to 10 people in red shirts and 6 of them slapped you, and when you sat down next to people in blue shirts or yellow shirts or purple shirts none of them did, would your mindset be the same the next time you encountered a seat next to someone in a red shirt as opposed to any other color? Right. You recognized the pattern. Cops do the same. Your heart rate would accelerate, you would be more vigilant, etc. etc. This isn't a choice you make, any more than you make a choice to have a slight revulsion reaction to reading something like "banana vomit" in print (see?) Its just the way your brain works.

The thing that bothers me most in the video is trying to snatch the papers out of the guys hand, which is what seems to really escalate the issue. I just can't think of a good reason for that, and it just doesn't feel right. Like I said, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the badge lost it's power once off duty, I don't think you'd see officers like this one acting the way they do.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Holy crap, thank you.

Anyway,

I like to drive with both feet hanging out the window.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    It has also been stated that if we as common people do not trust you are a cop we have the right to go signal out intentions and stop in a public place where there are witnesses to this type of action.

Top Bottom