• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A long time ago a friend showed me the difference in clarity between expensive and less expensive optics using a ziess. I was really impressed but confined my purchase to binoculars as I don't do much long range hunting any more. I would imagine that the scopes are crystal clear with great resolution.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I trust that you read the specifics of the Zeiss 6.5-20x50.

It has 45 MOA of elevation with standard target knobs, and 30 MOA of elevation with the hunter knobs.

You'll find in the instructions included with it that they recommend a 20 MOA base for use with either variation.

Provided you're not shooting very far, or have any use for the elevation adjustment - it'll be a fine scope.

Otherwise, lots of them are returned for that very reason.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    So long as you are keeping your options open take a look at the IOR Valdada line of scopes.

The IOR scopes are built like a tank, unfortunately - even tanks break at times.

Val only services currently offered IOR models, everything else has to go back to Romania for service - for ANYTHING.

Floaters, broken reticles, broken knobs, etc. - if you want it fixed - it gets shipped to Romania on your dime, where IOR makes a decision on who is paying for it.

The older Nightforce models aren't much better - although they will give you an allowance towards a new scope on trade.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I trust that you read the specifics of the Zeiss 6.5-20x50.

It has 45 MOA of elevation with standard target knobs, and 30 MOA of elevation with the hunter knobs.

You'll find in the instructions included with it that they recommend a 20 MOA base for use with either variation.

Provided you're not shooting very far, or have any use for the elevation adjustment - it'll be a fine scope.

Otherwise, lots of them are returned for that very reason.

Thanks for the heads up! I have a 20 MOA base on the Savage now so that should help. Most of my shooting is <300 until I can get better. I just hope the rings I ordered will be the correct height. I got Burris XTR high rings.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Haha, I like the $150 scope suggestions after he gave an $800 budget. I'll throw Sightron into the mix. You can buy a top of the line Sightron for $800 and the quality really is superb. I have a smattering of Leupolds over the years and my SII Sightron surpasses all except the Mk4 series.

Nightforce, Sightron, IOR, Leupold (top end only), Zeiss, and the Bushnell 6500 series all make great sub $1k optics.

Top Bottom