• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Okay, so I'm not experienced with long guns. I want to stay in the $800 range. Should I go with a Mini-14 or AR-15 for that price? If your suggestion is the AR then what brand/features should I look for in that price? Or is there another platform I should look at? Educate me!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    CM and Sam suggested I build my first AR (I already knew I wanted an AR though) but then CM offered me a pretty good deal on a Wyndham Weaponry AR carbine so I just bought a complete rifle from him.

If you build your own there are many different options and everyone will have a different opinion, but piece it together a little at a time and you can come in under budget with $$$ left over for ammo :ar15:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I mostly want the rifle for range fun, but I'd also like something that would be a decent battle/defense rifle. I only have handguns at the moment. I do want it to be a semi-auto. Not too interested in building it, but I suppose I'm open to the idea.

Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    i think the best way to get that is to go stag. Stag has some nice baseline AR's for arount 850 at gander. Its a great gun for the money. it just comes no sights and cheap furnature.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You can get a PSA AR-15 for under $700 easily with all the desirable features that are absent on practically every other budget AR these days.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd go PSA, and save some money...They've got an AR kit right now for $499, then later get a blem lower for $49. Pay shipping and a $20 transfer fee, depending on where it goes. PSA also has a nice Freedom Rifle with a stainless steel barrel for just south of $600, when they run it on sale, which is every 2 to 3 weeks. The AR kit includes an M4 profile barrel with 4150 steel and chrome lining. I've got one, and it is an outstanding rifle for the money.

However, if you want something really good without having to assemble it, CDNN has the Colt 6920 with flip up rear sight for $900. They have a pencil barrel light carbine Colt for about $700. Both come with 4 mags and a case, too. The 6920 also comes with a Colt jacket.--A Carhartt Jacket, at that!

CDNN Sports Inc 2014-2 Catalog

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Build a lower, buy an upper and shoot the crap out of it. It will give you an idea of how the rifle works, will be cheaper than buying something complete and then will let you make an informed decision on your second one.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Since everyone else pretty well passed by the Mini-14 ignoring it as they headed to the AR, I want to jump back and pick up one important point. Although the Ruger is a neat little rifle and I don't have anything against it, you mentioned that you want a gun suitable for both range and personal protection/battle. That suggests that you will need several magazines. The Mini-14 uses a proprietary magazine which is a lot more expensive than the standard M16/AR15 magazine you can buy if you go with the AR.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would go AR for sure. In addition to the mags, there are tons of aftermarket stuff you can get if you decide to make some mods. If you have any repairs to do, parts are everywhere and it is easy to do. Price wise you couldn't pick a better time.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I vote AR. Since you're not sure what you want, I'd say go as inexpensive as you can (PSA is a good choice). When you want to make a change, it's easy to do with the AR platform. You'll eventually end up with two (or more) AR's anyway unless you know exactly what you want from the get go. Even then, it will take unusually strong willpower to resist building a second one. I don't have that... The one one the left has been replaced by another 14.5" AR, 2 AR pistols, and a .308 MaTen since I took the picture.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I recently bought a Mossberg MMR, which is their "new" AR. For $599, I got an AR with adjustable sights, a free float rail, and a dust cover (these are all things not found on the M&P15 Sport rifles that it seems to compete with). For a beginner's AR, I don't know if you could do much better. Buy an MMR for $600, add $20 transfer fee, 5 mags for $75, 300 rounds for $100, and a bottle of water and a snack for $5 and you're set for the range.

WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    I have recently bought a CORE 15. Got it for 600. Has been a great entry level AR for me so far. No problems. I read up on CORE before i purchased the rifle, and read nothing but good things about them. They only hire ex military.

Top Bottom