• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooter-2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I want know about 800x powder? iwould like to know how 800x compares to unique, and w231. which one does it compare the closest to? is it a good all around powder like unique, and w231? I am just curious. I know where I can obtain some 800x. powder is the hardest to find of all reloading components. w231, and unique are not to be found. any information would be helpful. thanks, scooter-2 merry Christmas to all

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I want know about 800x powder? iwould like to know how 800x compares to unique, and w231. which one does it compare the closest to? is it a good all around powder like unique, and w231? I am just curious. I know where I can obtain some 800x. powder is the hardest to find of all reloading components. w231, and unique are not to be found. any information would be helpful. thanks, scooter-2 merry Christmas to all

Don't bother with the 800x, it meters like potato chips. I had an awful time with it about 20 years ago when I tried it in 45acp. It's a good way to create squib loads.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    If you are comparing burn rates Unique and 231 are close but the three side by side are apples to oranges. It kind of depends what caliber you are reloading. For example you might have data for 231 but not unique for 9mm. They burn close to the same but the case capacity changes because of the size of the flakes. Like pdg45 said 800x meters like potato chips but if its all you can find see if the published data supports your need. I would never stray from published data especially the stuff on the internet. I ALWAYS verify from reliable sources. I would never load anything based on the burn rate.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    800x is what underwood uses for their 10mm I know for sure but not sure of the other applications. I will be using 800x and longshot for my 10mm and see how they compare then try with 9 and 45.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My friend was asking 700x or maybe 800x for 40 cal. Any opinions? Have heard a few like 800x and Green Dot for 45acp but I have not tried either.

Unusual powders for 45acp, Unique is not too good, it works but it's not a target round.

I had trouble with Unique in the powder measure also, found that Lee powder measure does well and Hornady's Large insert does better.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently picked up a bottle of 800-x for 10mm but have not done anything with it yet. I tried to set the Dillon 550 up with it to see how it worked for .40 and ended up moving to a different powder. It would not meter consistently at all, so when I do the 10mm, it will be with hand weighed loads and not through a dispenser.

B-lou

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    800x works great in 12 gauge reloads but just does not work well in any of my pistol rounds, titegroup for those.....Brunos has unique in stock but are very proud of it...I always keep a small supply of hodgden universal around because it works in just about everything just might not be the best in anything.....B-lou

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    From what I've been reading Accurite No 5 is another one that is pretty universal but I've yet to try it.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    From what I've been reading Accurite No 5 is another one that is pretty universal but I've yet to try it.
    I like AA #5 and it is universal and scarce in my neck of the woods. The next chance I get I will buy an 8 pounder so it will last a little longer. I just loaded a hlf dozen .40 with unique since I have plenty of it, but have yet to test fire. Not expecting any spectacular results but if they go bang and hit some steel I can be happy with that for a while.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really like AA#5 but ran out earlier last fall. It worked pretty well in most anything and metered very consistently. I'll do the same and buy as much as I can afford to next time I see it.

Top Bottom