• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I thought the coyote was a metaphor, which seems to imply they were illegal. Legal immigrants don't need coyotes.
    I thought of that. But I also thought there was no way a USian company would pay a couple million bucks to promote illegal immigration.

Despite assertions elsewhere, I guess marketing IS very different from lawyering. :D

ETA:
    Upon reconsideration, I do know of lawyers (criminal defense attorneys usually) who have to start their closing arguments to juries with, "My client is a complete idiot...."

So, maybe it isn't that different.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Did anyone here watch the rest of the 84 Lumber ad? I guess when I saw the commercial, I thought they were trying to make you think these were illegals, when in reality they were probably going to find the dad who went to the US for legal work. That was going to be the twist at the end. That they were doing all that walking to rejoin him (with the funds he was wiring back, probably).

But yeah, I haven't bothered to watch the rest of the video, either.

I have watched it.....trying to figure out how to bill that 5+ minutes. They make no bones about them trying to illegally enter the U.S. including meeting up with a coyote and being led up to a point then trudging through the dessert....and Dad? Funny. He makes no appearance in the ad.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw the ending on tv this afternoon. In its entire context, on second thought, maybe my original thoughts were wrong. Here, we have a couple folks attempting to better their lives. When they attempt to enter the US the traditional, illiegal route, they're blocked. So instead of giving up, they find the proverbial, "right" way to enter the country, through the designated process (or door). They wind up entering (what we assume) is the US the way we all (I think) agree the way we want them to. In that context, yes--anyone so determined to join us and do it the right way, welcome.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I saw the ending on tv this afternoon. In its entire context, on second thought, maybe my original thoughts were wrong. Here, we have a couple folks attempting to better their lives. When they attempt to enter the US the traditional, illiegal route, they're blocked. So instead of giving up, they find the proverbial, "right" way to enter the country, through the designated process (or door). They wind up entering (what we assume) is the US the way we all (I think) agree the way we want them to. In that context, yes--anyone so determined to join us and do it the right way, welcome.
    I think most people welcome proper legal immigration. Those with an agenda intentionally sully the argument by portraying anti illegal immigration as totally against all immigration.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think most people welcome proper legal immigration. Those with an agenda intentionally sully the argument by portraying anti illegal immigration as totally against all immigration.

Right. During the hype and run up to the Super Bowl, "our side" was led to believe (at least I was) the game was going to be wall-to-wall PC, SJW, anti-Trump, etc. messaging. Yeah, GaGa got what I assume was her pro-LGBT jab in there (I really couldn't understand the lyrics to her songs until we turned on the subtitles) and Audi stepped in it but I think this was an example of "our side" spinning and ginning up something that was really -- meh.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I read a WSJ article on the subject. Typically the types of commercials they did are flops. A company inserting itself in to a social issue I think they referenced. I read that over 50% of 84 Lumber's clientele are First Generation Immigrants(I didn't think of it as illegals...as of course, they didn't say 'illegal immigrants'). Regardless, it seems like they were playing to their customer base. Those of us that didn't know 84 Lumber still existed(there is one in Greenwood I think...so I knew they were still around) they don't care if they upset us. Like we're going to tell the roofers 'anywhere but 84 Lumber'.

They said that the NFL wouldn't let them show something they wanted in the ad. The full ad was 5 minutes I guess.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    The big issue is, leftists will run out and support these companies, the right just go about their normal lives. We don't get upset enough to hurt the bottom line of companies that offend us, nor do we support companies that stand for values, enough. I wish someone would start a websight or direct me to an existing sight that showed me where companies stand. It would make a difference in my spending, if I had a good idea who to support, and who to boycott.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The big issue is, leftists will run out and support these companies, the right just go about their normal lives. We don't get upset enough to hurt the bottom line of companies that offend us, nor do we support companies that stand for values, enough. I wish someone would start a websight or direct me to an existing sight that showed me where companies stand. It would make a difference in my spending, if I had a good idea who to support, and who to boycott.

That entertainers/company's insert themselves into politics is a problem.
    Sell me 2X4's when I need them.
    I will pay to watch your movie if I like it.

Beyond that STFU......Please.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The big issue is, leftists will run out and support these companies...

The leftist support the current owner Maggie, who got her position and company from daddy who founded the company. Aren't the leftists the ones that hate that kind of privilege and want to use the estate tax to break up these family dynasties?

Top Bottom