• ...and so much more!
  • Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Saw this on reddit on the Indianapolis page, anyone heard about this? They plan to have a range, store, restaurant, gym, VR area, Outdoor rec area (including Pickle ball), and event area. I can’t find any info of when this would maybe happen. Just looks like they announced several cities they plan to expand into. Could be years away.

Looks to me as if RangeUSA had a baby with Applebee's but LA Fitness was actually the dad. What do you guys think?

1666273298366.png

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I love the concept and hate the name

Yeah, the name is unfortunate, especially paired with that right-facing eagle.

This same group also faced some controversy for a map they had featured prominently in one of (maybe some of?) their locations. It was a topo map with elevations marked at several peaks. The highest peak in the center of the map was marked with elevation “1488”.

When called out about it, 88 tactical immediately removed the image and claimed it was not intentional, they had simply picked a popular topo map from shutterstock.

The image can, in fact, be found there:

Was it intentional? Are they trying to dog whistle to racists?

Idk, maybe. The way they responded to the 1488 controversy seems genuine enough, the explanation plausible enough…

…but, the eagle, 88, 1488, these are all well worn neo-nazi tropes, specifically chosen for their plausible deniability when confronted about their meanings.

Its sort of the “let’s go Brandon” or “Black Lives Matter” for racists.

My bet is it’s just meant to troll leftist fear-mongers and drum up publicity, which it seems to be doing pretty well.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Looks like something way too expensive for the Midwest. I never shoot indoors if I can avoid it.
    This is what I said. A gym membership is $25-$50/month. A range membership is maybe $50/mo. No idea where they are getting the $200/mo figure from.

I will say while I also only try to shoot outdoors, I know people who only exclusively shoot indoors since their only experience is with handguns.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is what I said. A gym membership is $25-$50/month. A range membership is maybe $50/mo. No idea where they are getting the $200/mo figure from.

I will say while I also only try to shoot outdoors, I know people who only exclusively shoot indoors since their only experience is with handguns.
    Gym plus unlimited lane time is $125/individual. I guess it would depend on how much you shoot and work out. Still pretty steep for me.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yeah, the name is unfortunate, especially paired with that right-facing eagle.

This same group also faced some controversy for a map they had featured prominently in one of (maybe some of?) their locations. It was a topo map with elevations marked at several peaks. The highest peak in the center of the map was marked with elevation “1488”.

When called out about it, 88 tactical immediately removed the image and claimed it was not intentional, they had simply picked a popular topo map from shutterstock.

The image can, in fact, be found there:

Was it intentional? Are they trying to dog whistle to racists?

Idk, maybe. The way they responded to the 1488 controversy seems genuine enough, the explanation plausible enough…

…but, the eagle, 88, 1488, these are all well worn neo-nazi tropes, specifically chosen for their plausible deniability when confronted about their meanings.

Its sort of the “let’s go Brandon” or “Black Lives Matter” for racists.

My bet is it’s just meant to troll leftist fear-mongers and drum up publicity, which it seems to be doing pretty well.
    Man, I'm out of the loop...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    88 is a reference common to neo nazis: the eighth letter of the alphabet is H. So imagine what HH stands for. You'll see that number tattooed on prison gang members, mostly.

The 14 before the 88? I don't know what AD stands for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    88 is a reference common to neo nazis: the eighth letter of the alphabet is H. So imagine what HH stands for. You'll see that number tattooed on prison gang members, mostly.

Huh. Learn something new every day. I guess I’m a nazi and didn’t know it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If this thing were next door to me, I don’t know if I could get $125 worth of use out of it in a month.
    If it was next door to me and I could buy 5 months for the winter when most of my daily exercise has to move indoors, maybe. And I didn't have to burn an hour of gas each way to go to an outdoor range.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

From the Anti-Defamation league website:

The number is frequently combined with another white supremacist numeric code, 14 (shorthand for the so-called "14 Words" slogan: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children") in the form of 1488, 14/88, 14-88, or 8814.

It should be noted that 88 can be found in non-extremist contexts. The number is used by ham radio operators to mean "hugs" or "hugs and kisses."

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    From the Anti-Defamation league website:

The number is frequently combined with another white supremacist numeric code, 14 (shorthand for the so-called "14 Words" slogan: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children") in the form of 1488, 14/88, 14-88, or 8814.

It should be noted that 88 can be found in non-extremist contexts. The number is used by ham radio operators to mean "hugs" or "hugs and kisses."
    Well I guess this confirms I’m not a white supremacist cause I’ve never heard of any of this crap!

Top Bottom