• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    i bought a Beretta Storm compact today, i am looking for some information on ammo for this gun.

I have had the best luck using the same weight bullets as my self defense rounds and would like to continue with that. I need to fire 1000+ rounds through this before i will carry it for personal protection. with my other calibers I have found that I prefer the heaviest bullets I can get.

with any gun the best ammo is what works best in the gun i understand that but with so many manufactures and options I am looking for a good starting place any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    winchester ranger 124gr +p's for defense with the winchester white box in the 124 grain flavor for the 1000 rounds.

or..

there are 147 gr options, but it is often said to go with a lower grain due to recoil / muzzle flip.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Any modern hp will be fine. I prefer hornady critical defense, federal HST, and speer gold dot in that order.

I dont like the 147g... suggest 124g.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Check the owners manual. Sorry that I sound stupid to say that, but Beretta usually lets you know what they prefer. I also believe that on their website they actually tell what ammo they use in the factory for test firing all their pistols prior to shipping.

I do know that on many of their pistols they recommend against using +P. Again you would be safer to check the manual.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    124 grain bullets would be my recommendation, too. Steve puts together 122 grain SWC's that run great through all the guns I have had in 9mm. I do like the way the Winchester NATO 124 grain factory rounds run as well.

Hornady Critical Defense 124 grain +p iis great defense ammo.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    124 grain bullets would be my recommendation, too. Steve puts together 122 grain SWC's that run great through all the guns I have had in 9mm. I do like the way the Winchester NATO 124 grain factory rounds run as well.

Hornady Critical Defense 124 grain +p iis great defense ammo.

I did not know they made Critical Defense in 124g +P. I've been carrying most of my smaller 9mms with the 115g standard pressure Critical Defense rounds and 124g Speer Gold Dots in the larger guns. I've been considering moving to the 135g Critical Duty on the full size 9mms.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If your Storm has a 3.5" or longer barrel (I guess that would only be the full-size), then pick something from this list and get an FMJ round of the same bullet weight for practice.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

If you've got the subcompact with the 3.0" barrel, I'd suggest testing carry ammunition candidates to verify their performance. The shorter a barrel is the less you can rely on published ammo tests. You may find your ammo of choice works fine out of a 3" tube, maybe not. Sometimes a short barrel limits your choices a bit.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I did not know they made Critical Defense in 124g +P. I've been carrying most of my smaller 9mms with the 115g standard pressure Critical Defense rounds and 124g Speer Gold Dots in the larger guns. I've been considering moving to the 135g Critical Duty on the full size 9mms.

You are right. Brain fart. 135g +P Critical Duty is correct. I was thinking of the Gold Dots.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Stick with the 124 gr offerings. They are plentiful and you will have several options for your practice ammo. If you reload or plan to in the future, there are several options lead, plated, or jacketed that you can load.

Top Bottom