• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I've been reloading since Moses was a little boy. But... I've just come across a new one. I had about 500 9mm brass that was so muddy that I wasn't going to put it in my tumbler so I washed it in hot soapy water then put it in the oven at 150 f for a spell to dry it before tumbling. not a big deal so far I've done this before. BUT>>> someone just had to have a pizza without removing the brass... So my brass just went thru a 400F trip in the oven for 35-40 minutes. when I got to them they were a goofie looking color but put them in the tumbler overnight and they look fine. But are they I really don't know. any help would be appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    According to this section: Optimal Case Temperatures for Successful Annealing from this link: The Art and Science of Annealing (just shy of halfway down)...

482 F is the magic number where cold-worked brass (and cartridge cases are) begins to get wonky.

So your brass should still be good. If those numbers in the link are correct.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Though the temp is set at 400, the inside temp of the over could vary greatly. i would just scrap them. 500 lost brass are cheaper than a new gun.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    Thanks for the link, Ill look into it and see just how much damage was done if any. who knows they might be the best Ive ever reloaded. Or they may case split and scar my barrel. come to think of it I have a POS 9mm to use as a ginnie pig. I don't get a day off in about a week. when I get a chance Ill see how well the barrel is supported and shoot a couple of single shots. Maybe. My stones arnt what they used to be.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    Not doing it !!!! I just came up from the bench, thought I'd run a few threw single stage and had 3 case splits out of 40-50 ? Scrapped them. I guess I am just wondering why? wouldn't annealing make them softer? As cute as the nurse's can be Im too old for stupid.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Throw them in a five gallon bucket. When it gets full, take it to the scrapyard and get $40 or so for it. I had been accumulating scrap brass, berdan primed fodder, stuff like that and finally took it in a few weeks ago. Beer money...

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    Thanks for the advise guys its great to have a resource of knowledge at my fingertips but I have chosen not to loose my fingertips. Not sure when old overcame stupid but its nice. Strange but nice.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When you anneal copper it is a heating followed buy a cold water quench, just the opposite of steel. If they cooled slowly, they did not soften, but may have gotten brittle. I agree that scrapping that questionable brass is a prudent move.

Was the Pizza tasty?

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Might I suggest that you smash the brass so that it doesn't end up in some unsuspecting soul's hands down the road as well? The reloaders of the world will thank you.

GarandTeed

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Top Bottom