• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mooch1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    I am looking to purchase a xdm springfield 3.8 or 4.5 but am unsure of both what calibur to buy and barrel length. my main goal is for target shooting ana home defense. do plan on my wife shooting it with me. any suggestions?

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    The Springfield XD 40 subcompact (not XDm, mind you. The XDm Compacts are a different length of barrel at 3 vs 3.8) can hit water bottles in the hands of novice shooters at nearly 30 yards. You gain nothing by downgrading to 9mm in this weapon system, esp for home defense. Get the .40sw and load it with proper rounds (Speer Gold Dot or Hornady).

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Crispy is right...the debate will rage on for years and years and years...and most people will have a preference and tell you their preference is the RIGHT choice.

My thoughts? You should go shoot, if you can, the model you're looking at in both the 9mm and the 40 cal and see which one fits you and your wife better by shooting them.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Shoot them and buy the model you A:shoot the best with B:Is the most comfortable for you. Either caliber will protect you just fine.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    I would also go with the .40, but unless your going to be carrying I would go with the full size. It holds more rounds and it's a little heavier and might be a little less felt recoil for your wife if your shooting alot.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I have an XDM 3.8 9mm with the full size grip. For target practice I regret not getting the 4.5 barrel version. I can shoot all of my full size pistols better than the short barreled Springfield. That is not to say it is a poor shooter. It has NEVER had any type of malfunction and is way more accurate than I am. The longer sight radius on full size pistols makes them easier to shoot.

As far as 9 over 40? For me it came down to cost of ammo. Not a huge difference, but enough to influence my choice.

Excellent choice either way!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    9mm will be cheaper for your monthly (or more) trips to the range. A few bucks or so a month that is. It doesnt matter how big of round you use, if you cant hit your target (or b.g. in some situations)... caliber is useless.

Like mentioned, shoot both calibers if you can, and go with whats best for you and the Mrs.

-MColford

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    i would go with the 9 mm because cheaper ammo,less recoil ,and more shots per mag. i would pic the 4.5 because it is more acurate with a longer distance between sights.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Yesterday I got to shoot the XDm 40 cal for the first time and I really liked it. I certainly would not choose it for EDC, but for HD it would be a very nice choice. Ammo for the 9 would be a lot less expensive though.

I would suggest you consider the 9mm because of that. If you are concerned with what I call "the splat factor" for HD, the Hornady Critical Defense round should provide you with enough stopping power and a few more rounds in a SHTF situation. By using the 9mm when you do go to the range, it doesn't cost as much. :twocents:

My personal EDC is the XD9sc BTW. :yesway:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    tangerines and oranges imo friend about the same but .....
    the xdm has the backstrap adjustments
    hold/feel see where you/wife are with the comfort in hand
    9mm v. 40 cal. does not really matter...its what you two feel best wll work

just cannot go wrong with springfield xd/xdm series imho

mooch1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    thanks for all the input. im sure that personal prefrence is most of it. gonna take advice and go handle the guns.

Top Bottom