• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I recently acquired a Century "Frankenfal" made on a U.S. metric receiver with inch parts. It currently has the horribly ugly and uncomfortable thumb hole stock. Can i just replace the foregrip, pistol grip, butt stock and use a US made magazine? Also will I have to do anything special to the receiver to make the new US made stock work?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    922(r) is you cannot have more than 10 imported parts in any long gun. If Century built the rifle from parts, it should already be compliant. You might see if there are any US made furniture parts, but if not, the mag is three parts so a US mag would keep you safe.

I don't know how many countable parts are in a FAL, so it might pay to check around. You might not need as many parts as you think. I am pretty sure Century used their own trigger group parts, but can't verify without seeing yours. I believe the gas piston they used was US made as well.

Are the furniture parts US made or imported? Are they marked? You might not have to worry if you are replacing imported parts with imported parts.

Edited to add, just for my own benefit I must say that if you have never removed the butt stock from a FAL, there is a spring that is about 50 feet long stuffed into that stock. A special tool is required to reinstall it. It would be best to use the tool to remove the nut that holds the spring in, but if you don't, just file a flight plan with the FAA because that spring will really launch itself when the nut is removed. Use extreme caution.

If you already know this, at least I feel better warning you when not needed, than I would not warning you and hearing about a new orbiting spring. or worse.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I did not know this about the spring, thanks for the heads up. I think the fore grip is surplus but I think the thumbhole stock is US made. I have a couple all US made mags so I think it will be fine. I'm looking at ordering a stock set that includes pistol grip, stock and fore grip (all US made). But will the set work? I made sure it was for an inch reciever but I know on some of these thumb hole stock guns they made the reciever weird so it can only except the thumb hole stock. My SA93 had to have a price added for a normal stock (the pieces name is slipping my kind at the moment)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Interesting about the receiver specially made for the thumb hole stock. Would not surprise me. I have seen a few rifles that were modified so that you couldn't use a standard stock after taking off the ATF and George Bush the First approved thumb hole, or as I like to call them, Bush-hole stocks.

I don't know enough about the various stock sets on all the versions of the FAL/L1A1/R1A1/STG-58 et. al. but I think the only major difference is the inch versus metric pistol grip.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I really wouldn't worry about 922(r) on anything but a Russian gun.

I doubt anyone is going to know enough about this gun to care.

Technically the M1A now is an imported firearm as SAI has the receivers made in Canada, Most of them have scads of Korean or italian parts on them. What is the first thing a lot of people do? Put the bayonet lug flash hider on it... 922(r) violation. LOL. Never heard of anyone saying anything about that.

922(r) is pretty much unenforceable.. some of these parts are obscure origins. Wouldn't worry about it.

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    Pics would really help out here. If it is an "actual" Century build with a thumb hole stock then it would not have a U.S. made receiver. When Century built them in that configuration it was to make them into a "sporter" configuration so they did not have to use U.S. parts and would not be susceptible to 922(r) as made and at that time frame they used Argentine and Imbel imported receivers.

If it has a U.S. made Century receiver and a thumb hole stock then it is either not a Century build or it is a later Century build that someone has swapped out the furniture and/or lower on. Either way it might be Inch pattern or Metric pattern and that is where the pics will help. Depending on what thumb hole stock was used and which type of lower it might need the grip screw bushing replaced. If you are swapping out the furniture to replace the stock and there is no flash hider then you would need a total of 6 U.S. parts including magazine (7 if there is a flash hider installed) to keep from having more than 10 of the restricted foreign made parts for 922(r).

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I recently acquired a Century "Frankenfal" made on a U.S. metric receiver with inch parts. It currently has the horribly ugly and uncomfortable thumb hole stock. Can i just replace the foregrip, pistol grip, butt stock and use a US made magazine? Also will I have to do anything special to the receiver to make the new US made stock work?

If you want to keep your 922r you'll want US made parts, Penguin makes nice FAL furniture and the economy furniture is easy on the wallet and has been great on my frankenfal for the past 8 years.
    As for the receiver, I'm not sure what they did to the lug holding on the handle, but that would be the only difference.

Usually the number of required US parts is 7 for an FAL with all the original parts.
    Edit: beaten two posts above... good info.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Tula47 I have an FAL buttstock tool if you want to borrow it.
    I also have some Argie (metric) complete lowers including buttstocks if you want to test fit some parts.
    I'm no FAL expert, and I have't looked at the FAL 922r goat roping requirements in quite some time.
    There is/was an FAL 922r worksheet on the net.
    Search for "FAL 922r wiki" and you may find the worksheet.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have checked and checked but all I could find was parts list for 922 compliant parts and I can't tell which parts are US made and are foreign on my gun.

Top Bottom