• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    There's another post in this forum about 9mm Federal HST being available at Ammo-to-Go. They've got both 124 gr and 147 gr rounds up on the site - both standard loading.

I've got some 124 gr +P HST that I bought a while ago, and was thinking about picking up some of the 147 gr for comparison. I went to the Federal LE site and compared the ballistics on the two. The +P 124 gr round has a big advantage in velocity and energy over the 147 gr out to at least 50 yards.

My question is, why would you consider using the 147 gr round instead of the 124 gr +P for home defense situations? I would think that the higher energy and velocity of the +P would trump the heavier bullet. Am I missing something?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes you are going to have a higher velocity, with a lighter round. However I prefer mass over speed. Yes a hollow point is less likey to over penetrate. Though with higher velocity rounds you take that chance. I agree shot placement is key no matter what round you fire. All my loads are 147 grain, except one box that's 124 grain because that's all they had. Now I do reccomend a faster round if you carry a sub compact. Seeing as you have a shorter barrel then a full sized pistol, my :twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Either will work, but I follow U.S Patriot's comment to a T: Shorter barrel? Faster, lighter. Longer barrel? Heavier.

I did have a box of the 147gr HST (their +P stuff!!! :D ). I say had in that the stuff was so darn fun to shoot (hot, accurate, and VERY fast for 147gr) I stupidly shot it all. Plus side is that I know it will feed in my guns though! :D

Top Bottom