• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thinking of getting one hand gun suppressor besides the 22LR that I have (already have the 5.56 and 9mm for the rifles/sub-guns but they are little large for a handgun ;-). Any have any experience with shooting a subsonic 9mm hand gun with the 45 ACP suppressor (would be a M92 for the 9mm with an adapter or changeable threaded plate on the can).

Thanks

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The short answer is: you can do it, but it'll be less effective.

I'm not a suppressor expert though, so wait for input from someone who is.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have often thought of doing this, but I have never seen a .45 suppressor with 1/2x28 threads (most common 9mm thread pitch) nor have I seen any 9mm barrels threaded for .578x28 (most common .45 thread pitch)

I know that there are other thread pitches out there for both calibers (Thank you H&K for making things more difficult with your crazy metric patterns :xmad:) but those seem to be the most common thread pitches for each caliber.

Not saying that it can not be done, I am sure that it has been, just saying that it seemed difficult to find all of the right components in the right thread pitches to make it happen. :twocents:

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Thinking of getting one hand gun suppressor besides the 22LR that I have (already have the 5.56 and 9mm for the rifles/sub-guns but they are little large for a handgun ;-). Any have any experience with shooting a subsonic 9mm hand gun with the 45 ACP suppressor (would be a M92 for the 9mm with an adapter or changeable threaded plate on the can).

Thanks

I plan on doing this. I have a ti-rant 45 setting at the dealer with the 2 pistons I need to run on m 1911 and my sp2022. From all the research that I did the reduction for the 9mm is close enough to a 9mm can that it isn't worth spending another $1000. I also use a 7.62 can on 5.56 rifles. It is pretty common to use larger cans on smaller calibers to save time\ money.

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/showthread.php/718-AAC-Ti-Rant-45-SOUND-TESTED-on-45-40-9mm-22-hosts!!

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The issue is that the suppressor works by sealing with the bullet to keep the gasses in/baffling them. There will be a significant gap between a 9mm round and a .45 suppressor's baffle and, as such, it won't work nearly as well as it would with a .45.

I suggest doing some research.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've only got a .45 suppressor (a Coastal .45 with a MIMs mount) and I have to say it's pretty darn effective with 9mm 147gr (actually, I was shooting 145gr Silver Bear out of it).

Unsuppressed:
    http://youtu.be/YdiasYJWeGw

Suppressed:
    http://youtu.be/QR5wEtm2MD4

I know you were asking about a handgun, but none of my pistols cycle with that heavy clunky subgun can on it. It does work well with my Nagant revolver though (7.62x38R)

http://youtu.be/GBpAxSDr470

Given the prices for .45 pistol cans, I'd get one of the nicer ones, like the SilencerCo Osprey or the AAC TiRant and you should be good with .45 and 9mm. I just bought a Guardian 9mm (waiting on the Form 3) and I'm sure I'll love it on my Beretta 92 and my Glock 17, but now that I'm planning on getting a FNX 45 Tactical, I'm already starting to look at a .45 can. With a total price tag of $950 with stamp, I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered with the 9mm can at all (about $500 with stamp).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I went to NFA day this year specifically for this reason.

The short version is I was not happy with the suppression of a 9mm threw a 45 can. Like you I was thinking of getting a 45 suppressor so I could do it all. After the day I had made up my mind if I go threw with the project I would be buying a 9mm suppressor first, and If I felt the need I would grab a 45 suppressor later.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I went to NFA day this year specifically for this reason.

The short version is I was not happy with the suppression of a 9mm threw a 45 can. Like you I was thinking of getting a 45 suppressor so I could do it all. After the day I had made up my mind if I go threw with the project I would be buying a 9mm suppressor first, and If I felt the need I would grab a 45 suppressor later.

Thanks. What are/did you go with for a 9mm suppressor and host? As getting a threaded barrel for the M92 is another option (shoots great off a rest with 147gr reloads).

Was looking at various suppressors, in one of Tom Bowers which I can change to thread insert between the various sizes.

Started out with a USP Tactical, that a close friend borrowed to carry and ended trading for (five plus year trade including a couple HKs. 10K rounds ammo, Sako TRG-42, Nightforce scope, NFA Sten MkII and assorted shotguns, hanguns, FAL, M1A and would have to check the spread sheet for the rest ....), then go a HK Mark23 and either one was going with the KAC suppressor until ran across friends Ospery and looked at a Ti-Rant ... the Mark23 wandered off (shot great but not any too small and ended liking nicer 1911s for range use) .... thus after five plus years might actually keep the incoming FNX 45 for long enough to get the suppressor cleaned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks. What are/did you go with for a 9mm suppressor and host? As getting a threaded barrel for the M92 is another option (shoots great off a rest with 147gr reloads).

Was looking at various suppressors, in one of Tom Bowers which I can change to thread insert between the various sizes.

Started out with a USP Tactical, that a close friend borrowed to carry and ended trading for (five plus year trade including a couple HKs. 10K rounds ammo, Sako TRG-42, Nightforce scope, NFA Sten MkII and assorted shotguns, hanguns, FAL, M1A and would have to check the spread sheet for the rest ....), then go a HK Mark23 and either one was going with the KAC suppressor until ran across friends Ospery and looked at a Ti-Rant ... the Mark23 wandered off (shot great but not any too small and ended liking nicer 1911s for range use) .... thus after five plus years might actually keep the incoming FNX 45 for long enough to get the suppressor cleaned.

The host I used was a glock, I think it was a 17, but I would not swear to it. I did this at NFA day at LMW's place. The gun I was using was not mine

Top Bottom