• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Well, after reading this thread again I am forced to admit that I have a 1911 in .22 Lr.
    I use it as a teaching tool when I take my sister/SIL/ MIL/and young folks to the range. GSG with threaded barrel and a Burris Fast fire on it. It is a great tool to orient newbies to a semi-auto platform and I enjoy it sometimes myself. Suppressed it is really kind of fun.
    JMB, I am sorry......well, just a little.
    I'd be #3 to admit that, let's start a club! Actually I think my brother has possession of it at the moment.

What I have, while not a exactly a 1911, is an FB Radom mod. 35. I have yet to shoot it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've toyed with the thought of picking up a 1911 in 9mm but always talk myself back out of it. I have no issues with non-.45 1911s with a Delta Elite being one of my favorite guns to shoot but to me, the epitome of 9mm pistols is the CZ. I probably will never buy a 9mm 1911 for the same reason that I will probably never buy a Glock in .45 ACP. Since I already have pistols in those calibers that I think are the best platform for that caliber, why buy what would be a lessor gun for me. Now, if I could find a 16+1 9mm 1911 that had the same grip size, I might reconsider that.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I've toyed with the thought of picking up a 1911 in 9mm but always talk myself back out of it. I have no issues with non-.45 1911s with a Delta Elite being one of my favorite guns to shoot but to me, the epitome of 9mm pistols is the CZ. I probably will never buy a 9mm 1911 for the same reason that I will probably never buy a Glock in .45 ACP. Since I already have pistols in those calibers that I think are the best platform for that caliber, why buy what would be a lessor gun for me. Now, if I could find a 16+1 9mm 1911 that had the same grip size, I might reconsider that.

In my search for a 9mm 1911, I found a Hi-Power. It called to me, and took me on a different path. To me, the Browning is the ideal 9mm handgun, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Right now, the only 9mm 1911 that I am interested in would be a 38 Super. Not for any reason other than I like the 1911 platform, I have dies to reload the 38 Super, but nothing as of yet to empty loaded ammunition.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The HiPower is one of the best pistols ever built. I have owned several over the years. All are gone now. I love those Brownings but I actually prefer the 1911. Better trigger and full length beaver tail that keeps the love bites at bay.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    If you are just looking to have a 1911 inspired 9mm it might be economical to buy a Star B model pistol. They are mostly chambered in 9mm (some are 9mm Largo) and back in the day you could buy a really nice one for around $300.00 C&R. I have had a few and liked them quite a bit. Many of the .45's you saw in the early war movies were in fact Star B 9mm's due to the fact that blank cartridges were not readily available in .45 but common in 9mm.

Here is a good example on Gunbroker, a little duracote and you are good to go!

Star B Super - 9mm : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Last edited:

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    I shot 1911s in 45 acp for years...then, bought my first 1911 in 9mm. Whoa!!! talk about a joy to shoot. I still have 45s but have purchased additional 9mms and must say that I shoot the 9s 3x more than the 45s. I've gone to several tactical schools...Gunsite, Front Sight, etc. I love the 9s when I'm shooting 300 rounds a day. Recoil, fatigue, cost...all much less with 9s. Can and do still carry 45 for personal defense periodically. Operation, safety, trigger...all the same for practice. I love'em.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Maybe I'm :horse:, but when someone says 1911 and 9mm, I think Hi-Power. And with that said, we can still say God bless JMB.
    1007132337_0001_zps5dae2a3e.jpg
    AMEN BROTHER TAKE US TO CHURCH! My name is trigger time and I'm a hi-power junkie. I last used a day ago :):
    even john browning said it was his greatest design.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Older thread, but I am starting to think I might want to reduce the number of calibers I have. I am a minimalist and I feel like I am getting too many variations. Are the RO's in 9mm out yet?

How long do you think it will be before I can find someone that wants to trade a 9mm RO for a .45 RO? lol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Might be a while for that trade. The ROs should be nice. I really like my Smith Pro Series 9mm. You might have an easier time finding one of those.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Older thread, but I am starting to think I might want to reduce the number of calibers I have. I am a minimalist and I feel like I am getting too many variations. Are the RO's in 9mm out yet?

How long do you think it will be before I can find someone that wants to trade a 9mm RO for a .45 RO? lol.

I seen a RO 9mm at BGF about two weeks ago.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will start looking for one this Spring. I would like to trade my .45 for one, but I can always sell it after I pick up the 9mm.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Today I just snagged a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. The only one they had so I had to jump on it. They only had it for 1 day and the salesman said someone almost took it home about a hour before I got there so it was my lucky day!

The 9mm Range Officer features an adjustable rear target sight, which rides atop a forged steel slide with a standard length guide rod and 5-inch match grade barrel. Its forged steel frame houses a 4.5- to 5-pound trigger, checkered mainspring housing and Cocobolo wood grips.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom