• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    My wife is looking for her first pistol, not for carry. She has shot a full size 1911 very well so the .45 doesn't bother her.
    Last night we looked at several pistols and the Kahr CM9 fit her hand like a glove (the selection was anemic). She is also interested in the Springfield XDS when we find one to let her see how it feels.
    I have the Springfield XDm 3.8" .45 compact for EDC and she shoots it well. I know the reliability of the Springfield. Can anyone here tell me about personal experience with the CM9, PM45 or XDS and their reliability/impressions from shooting them?
    Thanks in advance!
    INGO newbie :baby:

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    How difficult does she find retracting the slide to be? Mine can't pull back the slide on my Glock 19 without a struggle - are these others easier than a Glock?

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    My wife got a Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact in 9 mm and loves it.

She tried the PX4 and it was too thick. She needs a single stack. Did I mention she is tiny? ;)

Thank you for the input though, I am open to suggestions for her to try. I want her to enjoy her first gun.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i have small hands. I owned the XDs for awhile, I really liked it for carry, but I thought it was a bit hard on my hands. The backstrap left the web of my strong hand pretty sore. I'm partial to the 1911s in 45 ACP, but I normally carry a Sig P938, easier for EDC.

Edit: I changed the grips on my 1911 to thinner ones for my small hands. You can see them in my photo album.

Last edited:

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    How difficult does she find retracting the slide to be? Mine can't pull back the slide on my Glock 19 without a struggle - are these others easier than a Glock?

Good question.
    She has been able to manipulate then just fine. My XDM was so tight when I bought it I had to partial load the mags to be able to retract the slide, but a trip to the range loosened it up.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    There is still much to be said for an Officer's/Compact model 1911. If, as you said, she's comfortable with the Government Model, she may well like the Compact. JetGirl would be a good person to ask.

Dustzilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Indy
    She decided to go with the CM9. It fits her hand like a glove and she likes the trigger. She has already cleaned it and prepped it for her first trip to the range. Now if we could just find some ammo... :-)
    Thank you all for the good suggestions, she looked at most of what was suggested here when it was available. I'll report back after we get some meaningful range time in.

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My wife has shot the Beretta PXs, Smith M&Ps, and XDs. She liked and shot best with the XDs. Looking for one for her right now.

Top Bottom