• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This discussion usually turns into arguments based on one fact or another...

the short answer is, If you can shoot a 9mm into a 2.5" group at 25 yards, and a .45acp into a 5" group at 25 yards, you should likely carry the 9mm

all three will do the job. not one of them comes close to a rifle or shotgun when people start talking about "Stopping power" My friend Jon, who spent 8 years in the Army, another 6 in the guard, and is the son of an Army Ranger would tell you. A Pistol is only useful for fighting your way to a rifle.

That said, Shot placement trumps caliber every day of every week.

+1
    Couldn't have said it better

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Some additional thoughts:
    1) 45 ACP is best for low cost lead bullets (see 3. below) and easiest to handload.
    2) I like milsurp ammo, and 9x19 is most plentiful, followed by 45ACP. No milsurp 40S&W (although Wolf makes some low cost ammo).
    3) Both 9mm and 40 are high pressure (34k psi max) rounds, 45 is low pressure (20k psi max). Resulting velocities and recoil impulses for typical bullet weights are:
    9mm => 115 gr => 1100 fps => 0.65 lb-sec recoil impulse, 15 fps recoil velocity, 5 ft-lbs recoil energy

40S&W=> 165 gr => 1000 fps => 0.82 lb-sec recoil impulse, 19 fps recoil velocity, 8 ft-lbs recoil energy

45ACP => 200 gr => 850 fps => 0.84 lb-sec recoil impulse, 19 fps recoil velocity, 8 ft-lbs recoil energy

So of the three, the recoil of typical 40s and 45s are similar, the 9mm is lowest.

I like 'em all, but my go-to is a Glock 19 (in 9x19 of course).

References:
    Recoil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Recoil Calculator

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glad I asked this, I didn't know how adamant gun folks were about their round size choice :)

As I have said many times, thanks and there is a lot of good info. I finally got time to read through the post on AR15 about the different size rounds and even manufactures and it was very helpful as well. So now I'll take all this knowledge to the range once I pick out the gun I want to carry (and man I have a large list hahaha) and see what caliber I'm most accurate with while shooting.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I love 9mm! I used to carry and shoot it all the time until I could get into a big-boy round like the .45, but it still has it's place! Like the Europeans use em I think! :D

Disclaimer: I'm JOKING people! 9mm is a fine round..... for me to POOP on! :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love 9mm! I used to carry and shoot it all the time until I could get into a big-boy round like the .45, but it still has it's place! Like the Europeans use em I think! :D

Disclaimer: I'm JOKING people! 9mm is a fine round..... for me to POOP on! :D

!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like 9mm and .45. Why? I shoot them well. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with .40 for some reason and .357sig is too expensive to shoot (I had a P226 with both .357 and .40 barrels, so I have been down that road).

For revolvers, I am a big .38/.357 fan. .44 is fun and great for hunting, but IMO is a bit much for self defense and too expensive to plink with very often.

Oh, I also forgot .22lr. I LOVE .22lr. Great fun and you can learn a thing or two about shooting with it.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Even if the .45 JHP don't expand. Its still a .45 sized hole. Why would you want a nine silly meter anyways?

9mm= 45acp set on "stun"

Well then my .22 short lying at home must be the same as a nerf gun... Hey Don and BW wanna come over for a "nerf" war later? I've got some guns lying around and a fairway as a back yard :do2:.... thought so.:runaway: I understand some calibers are going to do more damage than others, but my view is this. Getting shot hurts.

:soapbox:I don't want to be shot with a pellet gun much less a .45 or .22 or whatever and some lazy ass POS BG doesn't want to get shot either because he has watched tv and he knows bullets make you bleed. I know people on drugs and whatnot don't feel pain and can continue to fight and so can others not under the influence, however a 9 to the head will stop someone better than a .45 to the arm.

Just my .02

Throw some wood on the fire its gonna be a long night of arguing over this one... I'll bring the coffee. :popcorn2:

-K

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well then my .22 short lying at home must be the same as a nerf gun... Hey Don and BW wanna come over for a "nerf" war later? I've got some guns lying around and a fairway as a back yard :do2:.... thought so.:runaway: I understand some calibers are going to do more damage than others, but my view is this. Getting shot hurts.

:soapbox:I don't want to be shot with a pellet gun much less a .45 or .22 or whatever and some lazy ass POS BG doesn't want to get shot either because he has watched tv and he knows bullets make you bleed. I know people on drugs and whatnot don't feel pain and can continue to fight and so can others not under the influence, however a 9 to the head will stop someone better than a .45 to the arm.

Just my .02

Throw some wood on the fire its gonna be a long night of arguing over this one... I'll bring the coffee. :popcorn2:

-K

Son, are you drunk or stoned or what?
    One way or another, those were comments made in jest.
    Make no mistake we are your friends, not your enemy.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I visited a couple of places today to look at handguns and one of the guys asked a question that I haven't given any thought over b/c, to be honest, this is all new to me. He asked what I wanted to shoot as far as ammo size.

So I pose this question: What size to you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input,
    n00b

If this is really new to you I would suggest "whatever you are comfortable with". You mention 9, 40 & 45 but maybe a .22 is where you want to start. Something not imtimidating, low recoil and teachs you the basics. Not to mention low cost ammo.
    Once you go to the range a bit and talk to others and maybe get a chance to shoot some other guns you can decide what you want in a Handgun. I know PopGuns rents guns so you can try out many different ones before you decide.
    Personally I carry an XD45C. Its what I feel comfortable with and yes I do own a .22 I have a nice Walther P22.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Son, are you drunk or stoned or what?
    One way or another, those were comments made in jest.
    Make no mistake we are your friends, not your enemy.

I know I'm among friends!!!

I wasn't angry just "jesting" like you... 48 hours and no sleep kind of make me a little nutty so I apologize if you find my post offense, just me taking a break from Business Law HW at 3 in the morning. Promise none of this ....:alcoholic:
    ... feel like this... :bash:

-K

Top Bottom