• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Why would you measure by circumference. That number should be irrelevant in this discussion.
    Surface area would be a little better indicator than circumference. It also depends on what round you're shooting and how much it expands versus the same round in a smaller/larger calibre.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Just buy all 3. =)

I love my .45, but I don't mind carrying any type of ammo. It's not like an assailant is going to go, "ha, you only shot me with a 9mm." He's going to go, "**** I got shot!" But say you get that Steyr I showed you. You could get three 15 round mags for it, one in the gun and two in mag holsters on your hip. That's 46 rounds you have on you if you carry 15 + 1 in the gun. To compare, if I carry 2 spare 8 round mags on me with my 7 +1 in the gun, I only have 24 rounds. So in all my ramblings we come down to this. Shoot all 3 types and buy whichever you like best. I like shooting .45 the most so that's what I bought.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Any and all.

Personally, I interchangeably carry a G23 or G19 because I can use the same holster for both.

As many people have mentioned, I tend to practice more with 9mm, but I'm going to start reloading soon so a .45 ACP will be in my future as well.

When I see people arguing about the differences between the calibers, I consider them amateur-ish, immature and narrow-minded.

Ammo has come a long ways in the last 20 years. If you shoot it well and it's comfortable for you, carry it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'll be using the .45 not because I think it's "better" than the others. But because I got such an amazing deal on the firearm and accessories that determined my caliber.

For Personal Defense, I still think a pistols primary role should be giving you time to acquire your shot gun. And as a backup while reloading the shotgun.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pick the pistol, regardless of caliber, that you shoot best.
    Not just the first shot but rapid follow-up shots.
    Practice, Practice, Practice.
    Use the largest magazines that you can get and still be manageable.
    Did I say to PRACTICE?
    Practice includes dry firing. It's CHEAP. Sight picture and trigger control work whether the gun is loaded or not.
    For your actual defensive ammo, use the best you can find.
    Practice with it.

Don

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I'll be using the .45 not because I think it's "better" than the others. But because I got such an amazing deal on the firearm and accessories that determined my caliber.

For Personal Defense, I still think a pistols primary role should be giving you time to acquire your shot gun. And as a backup while reloading the shotgun.

You and your GD shotgun. :lmfao:

Ultimately the answer you are going to get from everyone is pick whatever feels right to you. I would narrow it down to a style or brand of gun that fits your hand well, carries how you want it, fits your budget, and whatever other criteria you have. After that is decided shoot that model in all 3 sizes and select from there.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I chose 9mm because its cheaper to shoot which equals more shooting. So i will feel more comfortable with it. It is all about shot placement. Just shoot as many as possible till you find what you like better

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    You and your GD shotgun. :lmfao:

Ultimately the answer you are going to get from everyone is pick whatever feels right to you. I would narrow it down to a style or brand of gun that fits your hand well, carries how you want it, fits your budget, and whatever other criteria you have. After that is decided shoot that model in all 3 sizes and select from there.

I have come to that conclusion :) I'm going to try to get to the range today. :rockwoot:

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Even if the .45 JHP don't expand. Its still a .45 sized hole. Why would you want a nine silly meter anyways?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    9mm is a good round and is as small as I would go for self defence.
    .40 to expensive for me.
    .45 acp reliable, used by the US military for 80+ yrs.
    Plus I have a few toys that make the .45acp lots of fun.
    My Rock Island 1911 (no Pic)
    My Argentinian Ballister Molina
    BallesterMolina45-02.jpg

Taurus Tracker 455 Titanium
    455SH4.jpg

Taurus Tracker 455 Stainless
    455SS6.jpg

The 9mm may be lighter and you can carry more rounds.
    The .40 may have better ballistics.
    I still choose the .45 as my goto gun.
    Ask the guys in Iraq what they would rather have a 9mm or a .45.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Don't get me wrong! My post wasn't meant to be taken seriously!

If you guys want to start a 9mm vs .45 ACP vs .40 S&W vs 10mm vs .357 Magnum thread, I'm all in to throw down.

Truth of the matter is, you can find shortcomings with any caliber. I just can't stand it when people seriously make the statement that "a 9mm won't kill a bad guy" or ".45 moves too slow to be effective."

:bash:

I took Don's post in jest. ;)

Don may have said it cause he knew I would read it. I am a 9mm nut. I only own 1 .45. I trust the 9mm as much as the .45.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom