• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am very interested in hearing your reasoning behind this.

You chopped the quote.

Avoid ultra light and all copper bullets.

I was typing on my phone, and in my brevity I gave the wrong impression. I see that you are reading it as 'avoid ultra light bullets' and 'avoid all copper bullets'. I should have worded it differently, "avoid all ultra light bullets that contain no lead" would probably have been a better way to say it. A caliber appropriate weight all copper bullet that's well designed, like Corbon DPX would probably work just fine, but I've yet to have one used in real life so I can't say for sure. Those aren't what I'm talking about, though. I mean the ultra-light ones that claim really high muzzle energy based on much faster FPS than standard for the caliber. They are usually about 50 grains for 9mm. It's a small sample size, but they haven't worked well when I've seen them used. The wound is messy but shallow, and if it hits bone it powders and fragments, failing to penetrate much beyond it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You chopped the quote.

I was typing on my phone, and in my brevity I gave the wrong impression. I see that you are reading it as 'avoid ultra light bullets' and 'avoid all copper bullets'. I should have worded it differently, "avoid all ultra light bullets that contain no lead" would probably have been a better way to say it. A caliber appropriate weight all copper bullet that's well designed, like Corbon DPX would probably work just fine, but I've yet to have one used in real life so I can't say for sure. Those aren't what I'm talking about, though. I mean the ultra-light ones that claim really high muzzle energy based on much faster FPS than standard for the caliber. They are usually about 50 grains for 9mm. It's a small sample size, but they haven't worked well when I've seen them used. The wound is messy but shallow, and if it hits bone it powders and fragments, failing to penetrate much beyond it.

Thanks, I can agree with that. The Barnes bullets seem to do very well and always make DocGKR's list of top rounds. I thought maybe you had a different take on that, that I was unaware of.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks, I can agree with that. The Barnes bullets seem to do very well and always make DocGKR's list of top rounds. I thought maybe you had a different take on that, that I was unaware of.

Yeah, all the testing makes it look like a good choice. I looked into the results of the 185gr .45 for a friend not too long ago and everything looked fine. I just can't offer an opinion beyond those tests as I've never seen a real world use yet. Criminals tend to use cheap ammo, and accidental shootings are my main source of data on quality HPs. Most of those are in the limbs, so its hard to get much of a sample set.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I've had good luck with corbon 125g +p for my 9mm. Also tried out hornadys offerings, which seemed to do well. Any quality brand should have a good self defense load by this point.

Top Bottom