• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I second the KelTec Sub2000. I have one that fits nicely in a laptop bag and travels well with several big magazines and a Glock 17 on road trips. I have a HiPoint 995 that actually shoots better groups than the Sub2k but I hate the 10 round magazines.

I really don't want to put a Kel-Tec in that role. They offer lifetime warranties and their customer use them - frequently.

YMMV

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What does Bradis have, in stock today, that fits your criteria for a quality 9mm AR? Brand + model + price?

I've seen the JRC.....more research necessary.....looks cheap.

Someone mentioned the Ruger PCRs.........with larger mags could be a winner.

Trying to avoid the SBR route for defensive use - personal preference.

The $1000 AR 9mm may be alive and well, but I don't see that many more options that I'd stake my personal safety on.

I've owned a KelTec Sub 2000, thought it was more like shooting a stick.
    Also had the Hi-Point 995 and put it in an ATI stock, great carbine, but 10 round mags only.

That said, I ended up selling the HP995 and buying the Just Right Carbine, sweet as sugar. :D

Heck of a carbine, uses Glock mags that can be affordably bought and even the off brand 33 rounders work in it great.

Here's mine with a Magpul AFG2, NC-Star holo, and not in this pick, but sporting a Houge grip. I also have a Simmon's 3-9x30 scope on it that I plan on zeroing it in around the 100 yard range.

@ 20 yards and the holo, it shoots one ragged hole.:rockwoot:

2012-02-07_21-37-39_480.jpg

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not the OP, but having been inside a SUB2K and seen its Rube Goldberg-esque internals, you couldn't pay me to own one, much less bet my life on it for defensive use.

What is "Rube Goldberg-esque"? Just got done cleaning mine last night and the internals are pretty damn simple. The bolt and recoil spring slide out the rear and that's all she wrote. It has an internal hammer that is released and contacts the firing pin to fire a round. Seems rather simple to me and not over complicated.

Now, that being said. I like what I have heard about the Just Right and would love to get my hands on one. And on the defensive carbine point...I would trust the sub2k for some light work but I'd rather have something else for anything serious.

Last edited:

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I 2nd the 9mm AR platform (but then again for my use I'd choose a rifle cal) Anyhow I love my 9mm AR's. And mags are cheap, plus you can buy Uzi mags very very cheap and modify them easily for use

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've asked the same thing. There just isn't anything out there I want. The overall size of the AR prevents me fromowning one.

If they made a 9mm PS90 I'd be all over it.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    You got me there. But the only thing that is still left is the trigger assembly, no?

The fieldstrip is easy for sure. The trigger group is a little complicated. But the two shells of the grip and handguard I think make it hard to get back together. But that's just me looking at the diagram.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Why not the Beretta CX4 Storm? It's cheaper than the ARs being recommended. I have one and love it. It is light weight and reliable. You can attach accessory rails for lights, etc. Mine is at Gemtech right now getting threaded for a suppressor. I can't wait! :rockwoot:

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Honestly, I don't see why so many people hate the Hi-Point995. I've had the older one for years. Bought it after owning much more high end long-barrel platforms and I still enjoy taking it to the range. very accurate, no issues with internals and all-around great home defense carbine. Try it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Honestly, I don't see why so many people hate the Hi-Point995. I've had the older one for years. Bought it after owning much more high end long-barrel platforms and I still enjoy taking it to the range. very accurate, no issues with internals and all-around great home defense carbine. Try it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I like the 995 for a truck/camp gun or making holes in pop cans. I don't want want to rely on one after hearing a window smash at O-dark-30.

10 round mags....wonky design......just doesn't do it for me.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I have one of these in .40 with Glock mags. They make them in 9mm as well with different mags types including Glock. Kel-Tec Sub-2000
    b_aa57effeaea3c9bc000a8c7fd56b5dc5sub2000-right-diagonal_8202.jpg

There are several upgrades to this on the market to upgrade them from a $300 gun to fully tactical and folds to 16".

Top Bottom