• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    So, I am shopping for ammunition for my new SR9c which is primarily for home defense. Does it matter much what the grain is? 115, 124, 147?

It seems to me that for home defense I might want the heavier grain. I am thinking that the heavier, slower velocity might mean less wall penetration (i.e. better for the neighbors). Can any experts enlighten me?

Thanks.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What about frangible?

Poor choice. WAY too short on needed penetration.

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Source: Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute for Research, Stanford Medical Center, San Jose, CA.
    Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    NIFT summed it up perfectly. I would look towards a 124 gr +P bonded.

Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger

Just make sure to test the ammo you are going to rely on for reliability and accuracy.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Poor choice. WAY too short on needed penetration.

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Source: Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute for Research, Stanford Medical Center, San Jose, CA.
    Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

127gr +P+ is definitely the way to go on a 9mm if your handgun can handle it. I don't know about Ruger's but Glocks and M&Ps are good to go. The only one I've heard that can't shoot it is the Berettas

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For me if you shoot someone across your living room it doesn't matter what is the grain of the bullet or if it's standard pressure, +P or +P+.
    No matter what you use your target is going down if you do your job.
    As far as wall penetration it's the same thing.
    There is no magic round that will stop a BG and not over penetrate walls, it just doesn't exist.
    Even a .22LR bullet will go thru dry walls like nothing.
    Get a good hollow point bullet and make sure that you train enough to hit your target at various distances.
    The rest is just a detail, any 9mm load will be deadly at this distance if you shoot your target in the right (or wrong if you are the BG) place.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I use the Hornady 124gr that they sell at the local gun shop, but I intend to convert to 147gr at some point.

I agree that it isn't going to matter what weight or charge bullet you use if you must defend yourself, but the 147gr is the most powerful sub-sonic round in the 9mm. Since you aren't going to be wearing muffs when you shoot a BG, the lack of sonic boom is a good thing. I'd bet a less-hot 147gr would be quieter and have less flash, which are good things in the middle of the night in a dark hallway, etc.

From a physics standpoint, the 147gr will penetrate better due to increased inertia over the lesser weights, but it won't have quite as much energy. My only concern would be for expansion, but a well-designed bullet should expand reliably.

I'm probably going to get a box of 124gr and 147gr from the same maker and see how loud they are and which I shoot better. I may even try reloading some 147gr subsonic to try and get the lowest reliable powder charge that operates my pistol, just for fun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Our local PD has been issuing the 124 +P Gold dot HP for several years. Before that, the 147 SXT. Both rounds have been used in Police Action shootings. Both rounds stopped the threat and neither over penetrated.

But, there are no guarantees with bullet performance.

Never forget that the perp has made the decision for you that he/she needs to be stopped. You would not press the trigger unless you were forced to by the actions of the perp. If all you had available to stop the threat was a 50 BMG, you would use it....right?

The after action worries really need to be held back until you live to see the after action.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    127gr +P+ is definitely the way to go on a 9mm if your handgun can handle it. I don't know about Ruger's but Glocks and M&Ps are good to go.

Is this right? I just bought an M&P 9 and I thought the manual said +P+ was a no-go.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Is this right? I just bought an M&P 9 and I thought the manual said +P+ was a no-go.

You thought the manual said that because it did (does) basically, it will void the warranty. The reasoning was that +P+ rounds are loaded to specs greater than SAAMI recommendations. Nothing against the poster, but I'd go with the manual over somebody else's word any day.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Within the parameters of the question you asked....

124 grain for warmer weather, when someone invading your home is not likely to be wearing heavy clothing. 147 grain for winter, when they are likely to be covered with a lot of bulky wear. 147 grain is subsonic and will dig better through dense clothing material.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    IMHO, a bullet that is 100% reliable in your gun trumps bullet weight! I don't feel under gunned carrying the old Federal 115gr BP round because they are reliable in my gun and I can put them where they need to go. [Not to mention I've seen first hand what they do to human flesh.] Another "Oldie But Goodie" is the Federal 115gr +P+ BPLE, although it's somewhat stouter.

There's no doubt that LE/self-defense ammo has come a long way the last several years, but the manufacturers also have sales/marketing departments pushing the latest and greatest.

My 30 some years of experience with handguns opinion is to find what functions, you can shoot accurately, and can afford to shoot, regardless of bullet weight.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What Sharpetop says.

I bought 15-20 boxes of various ammunition for the PX4 and while I think all of them would hurt someone in the house enough to discourage them, I was putting Hornady Critical Defense rounds through the same holes at 25 yards. The others all would have hit a man at 25 yards, but the CD rounds went exactly where I wanted them to go without any compensation.

That's the round I load in my magazines

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do not remember where I read it, but I am sure it was a link from here, but it said never use 147 gr 9mm bullets, too slow ... but I won't argue that ... just mentioning it ... but I use 115 gr & 124/125 gr bullets, im my 9mm for home defense .... find out what shoots good in YOUR gun, and use that ... JMHO, :twocents:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have only used the Speer Gold Dot and Federals HST's, both in the 124gr weights. Actually, they are the only (2) I have tried and both functioned flawlessly and I was happy with the accuracy.

The reason these are the (2) I tried was because I had read good reports on both and also because both are offered in the LEO packaging in 50 round boxes for just a few bucks more a box the the typical 20 round boxes you see.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The reason these are the (2) I tried was because I had read good reports on both and also because both are offered in the LEO packaging in 50 round boxes for just a few bucks more a box the the typical 20 round boxes you see.

And this is about as good advice as a person can give. Figure out what is available locally and at a competitive price. Shoot enough ammo to test for reliability and accuracy. Now you have your carry ammo.

Top Bottom