• ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    not just for car insurance....

[video=youtube;A8A0EGnhvfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8A0EGnhvfI[/video]

Push it REAL GOOD.

-rvb

Great stuff!

btw, something OCD that I do...
    even though I bulk store all my ammo, I do put them in actual 100-cnt ammo boxes (the ones w/ little squares for each cartridge) temporarily so that I can inspect the primers. I take a flashlight and look down the row to make sure I can see that couple thousandths of seating depth. Any that are just flush or look suspect I pull and re-push to make sure they are fully seated. I'm probably hard on my press, but I crush those suckers. the only light strikes I've ever had was due to experimenting w/ the gun (eg spring weights and hammer/striker weights, etc). I'm also loading on a 550.

-rvb

I believe the issue I had was the Blue Wing Nut on the fail safe powder die that connects to the press was tightened too much. I loosened that a tad and I felt that the PUSH was much more significant. I shot a round last night to double check and I did not experience any misfires. As you mentioned, I need to beat the hell out of the press. Its a dillon! Gotta love that no BS warrantee.

Yes I have gotten in the habit of checking the primers more precisely. I hate waste.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Good catch. I like to set that wing nut so when I push fwd (with the primer punch in place) that spring is almost, but not quite, fully compressed. It needs to be adjusted when you change cartridges.

-rvb

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Thank you to everyone who replied...

It was indeed not seating the primer deep enough. I have yet to have another misfire since this write up. I adjusted the blue wingnut. Hopefully this helps someone else

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you to everyone who replied...

It was indeed not seating the primer deep enough. I have yet to have another misfire since this write up. I adjusted the blue wingnut. Hopefully this helps someone else

Happy to hear things worked out! And all information on here is helpful, thanks for posting the findings!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    As you adjust that wingnut you will see the platform rise or fall. I set mine so that when I index the shell plate, it just clears the primer in the primer cup.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    After reloading on my 550B, I always caliper every single completed round. The first step using the caliper is to try to rock the brass bass on one of the caliper tongs; it should not rock but be perfectly flat and stable. If it rocks, that means the primer is not fully seated. Cartridges that rock go into a ROCKS bin for re-seating the primer. After re-seating the primer, I again do the caliper test and if it fails the 2nd time I pull the bullet and discard the brass. Maybe the brass primer pocket had some obstruction (dirt, or maybe needed swaging). I don't decap live primers.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom