• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    One of the first handguns I purchased was a Taurus 917C. It never really turned into a gun I have enjoyed. I have maybe put 500 rounds through it. I am thinking of selling/trading it for a different 9mm. I plan on doing much more homework this time around. I am curious to hear others input.

My main use will be at the range, but it would be nice to have the flexibility to use as a carry gun if I would ever decide to.

I have been looking into the CZ 75 a little. I am sure there will be a lot of Glock suggestions, but I have never liked the way they have felt when I picked them up. What else am I missing as a good option?

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    M&P shield, xds, walther ppq..
    I had 2 glock and sold one to get an xds..had glock 19 sold it. I also carry glock26 gen4.. shoot nice but still kinda big for my small hands. But I held the m&p shield 9mm and xds 9mm. Both fit super nice on my hands.. both have great reviews.. neck to neck really.. went with xds because I like the grip safety..
    I would watch youtube for different guns, then go handle as many as you can. See what feel good.
    Glock is not for everyone just like xds or m&p. You just have to try it out for yourself to see what feel good in your hand, what you shoot best. Especially if you want to carry later on.
    Good luck, let the hunt begin.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    Geez, 9mm opinions ............. range and maybe carry, there's 100s to choose from new, used, a gen or 2 older, try to handle as many as possible , kinda like picking out shoes everyone has different like or need. I prefer hammer guns just love my FNX 9 and my 3rd gen smith 5906, my strikers are nice too m p full size and shield, cw9. Good luck!

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I just bought a Smith 5903 (3rd Gen) 9mm, pre- owned. Got a terrific deal at iammo.com. There are a few different ones to choose here including CZs, Sigs, and other Smiths. Mine was in excellent condition when it arrived, FYI.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As others have said, there are so many to choose from. I had a Ruger P89DC and it was a great gun but heavy. I now I have an EAA SAR B6. This is a clone of the CZ and now I can see why people praise the CZ. However, the B6 is very accurate and the grip feels great. The balance and acceptable little recoil made the gun fun to shoot and the price made it even sweeter to own. Unfortunately, it is a long gun and I have been thinking of getting a shoulder holster for it but I would like to have a smaller 9mm. After looking at so many, as price and reliability goes, I am leaning towards the new Taurus Millenium Pro G2. Similar to the B6, it feels great in the hand well as is the size and balance.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have a G19, G34 and an M&P VTAC, all 9mm. I picked up a Walther PPQ the other night from USDS and it has the best trigger I've ever felt on a stock gun. It's really nice and after shooting it and picking up one of my other guns, I'm always disappointed with their triggers. The ergos on the gun are great as well. The only downside is there aren't as many accessories for the Walthers as there are for Glocks and M&P's. As a range gun, the long slide PPQ I bought is amazing, comparable or even slightly better than the G34. The standard 4" version is comparable to size with the G19 and has the same great trigger and ergos as my 5" PPQ. I still like my Glocks, but I have to admit I like my Walther better.

This is all my opinion though, as others have mentioned, handle and try out all that you can to see what is right for you.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Polymer types I enjoy the M&P fullsize and the XDm Competition Target. For those who don't know the XDm Competition has tru-glow front sight, adjustable target rear sight, lightened slide cut out, interchangeable back straps and is unbelievably accurate.

If you prefer a more weighted gun with good ergonomics I vote for the Springfield Range Officer 9mm in the 1911 platform and of course the old stand by Sig P226.

With any of these you will be impressed, well I am at least and enjoy taking any of these to the range.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If you are really going to carry, a full-size may prove impractical: heavy and more difficult to conceal. If you're a larger person, the weight may not matter, and if you OC anyway, well then...

I like my M&P full-size, but don't really care for the Shield. I would look at a 1911, CZ P models, or the Sig. Might check out 9mms by Canik and Zastava.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you are really going to carry, a full-size may prove impractical: heavy and more difficult to conceal.

I like my M&P full-size, but don't really care for the Shield.

What don't you like about the Shield? I have a FS M&P and was thinking the Shield would be a good idea as a CC pistol. The familiarity thing and all that.

I do know I won't CC my FS. It is too large to effective hide on my body.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What don't you like about the Shield? I have a FS M&P and was thinking the Shield would be a good idea as a CC pistol. The familiarity thing and all that.

I do know I won't CC my FS. It is too large to effective hide on my body.

My Shield had a defective recoil spring/guide rod issue that took S&W over three months to address (mailed me a new spring/rod FINALLY).

I don't think it's as well-balanced as the FS, carrying or firing. Also I don't like that the backstrap is fixed (maybe I'm just saying that the FS is nice in this regard). For a really concealable 9mm, I have shot and prefer the Kahr Arms 9mm or the baby Glock. Haven't owned a Sig 938, but if it's like the P238, I'm sure it's a winner.

I just find the Shield not that much more concealable or lighter than the FS, such as would warrant all the hype.

That said, it's a nice gun. And there is a lot to be said for carrying guns with basically the same layout (my rationale for getting it).

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Top 3 would be Beretta 92, CZ75, Glock in that order for range use.
    For carry Glock

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    You should see if you can convince one of your fellow INGOr's to meet you at the range with one of their favorites. A friend of mine tried that with the Walther PPQ and ended up buying one a few days later. I haven't shot one yet but I can tell you from holding and dry firing that sucker is smooth. I have a Glock 19 and 26. They take a little time to get used to but well worth while. Get your hands on something and run a few rounds down range. Best way to tell if you like something.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I can only speak about what I have owned and/or shot but in a full size I absolutely love my CZ75B. I have never had a single issue in thousands of rounds and it is very accurate. I love the option of a safety or DA/SA and the fact that it carries 16+1.

Having said that, it is too big for my taste as an every day carry. I have tried a Ruger SR9C which is a nice gun, the M&P Shield, the LC9, but ultimately settled on the Kahr CM9 as my EDC. It is a fraction smaller than the Sheild which some think is too small. Your pinky will not be on this gun when firing but that has not been an issue for me. I love the DA only trigger. Very long but very smooth.

I also like the fact that there is no other safety. At first this made me question this gun, but after shooting it, there is no way you are going to accidentally fire this weapon IMO.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I've been experimenting with different guns myself for the last few months. Just picked up a S&W 469.
    I'm in FW, PM me if you want to try it.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If primarily a range gun, this would be my first choice in 9mm.

hkp30-left-full.jpg

Top Bottom