• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Go .45 ! Think about it ,which would you pick if you HAD to , a brick throwed at you at 40mph or a bowling ball 25mph,both going to hurt but the bowling ball ,wow!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. The proper platform is important. What works for me does not work for my daughter or wife. I am a fare sized fellow so I can throw a 1911 around with ease. Some folks are not comfortable with the amount of recoil or weight of a .45
    My HK USP is lighter but still has a good bark to it. I sometimes carry a charter arms bull dog in .44 special. It has some recoil but with mag safe or glasers it hits very hard and is easily concealed.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I am assuming you are talking only autos since you didn't mention any revolver calibers.

You should go with what you can shoot well. There are pluses and minuses to each caliber. There is not perfect cartridge, otherwise everyone would be using it.

9mm is perfectly fine for home defense. With today's bullet technology it will stop just about anyone as long as you have good shot placement. Note that a one-shot-drop is unlikely in any caliber and your attacker can continue on for quite some time, so follow-up shots are important.

That being said, the .40 and .45 are terrific choices as well. Some things to consider:

Recoil:
    9mm is arguably the least felt recoil. The .40 is a lot "snappier" than the other two but has more velocity and range than the .45 and more mass than the 9mm. The .45 is probably the best man-stopper at short range but you are giving up size and capacity. Although even 7 rounds is more than your are likely to need. It has higher recoil than the 9mm.

Cost:
    Remember, no matter what round you choose you must practice, practice and then practice some more. So cost is definitely a factor to consider.

Availability:
    Availability of ammo should be considered. You can pretty much find .40 everywhere. 9mm is very plentiful as well. .45 can sometimes be a problem to find.

The gun:
    Whichever if the 3 you choose, make sure the platform is something you can shoot well. Ergonomics and "shootability" should be considered.

If possible, shoot all 3 calibers in as many platforms as you can either by renting them or asking a buddy or two to try them.

Good luck and good shooting.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Yes ,with most women Ive seen shoot the 45 it seems to be too much recoil and most are too much of a handful & recovery time is bad. the .40 ,better for them ,9mm with most just right and so much more managable,thus safer,enjoyable & more accurate shooting.

klfrank24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    As an officer I'd say .40. 45 is a little expensive and 9mm I've seen not make it through light glass (car). .40 is all around perfect!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Specifically for home defense...I would go with a .45acp! Up-close-n-personal...the .45acp is tough to beat! Sub-sonic, large caliber, good penetrator, excellent history as a 'man stopper', no one argues it's effectiveness, etc.

Of the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45acp...for home/personal defense, the .45acp is the best!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As an officer I'd say .40. 45 is a little expensive and 9mm I've seen not make it through light glass (car). .40 is all around perfect!

I once went shooting with a buddy who was K-9/SWAT with Plainfield PD. While shooting his department issued Sig Sauer 9mm...we observed several rounds 'glancing' off various vehicle's windshields while shooting in an auto junkyard...whereas my .357mag GP100 penetrated nearly everything around!

Shortly thereafter, his 'backup/off-duty' weapon became a Ruger Security-Six with a 2.75" barrel!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I once went shooting with a buddy who was K-9/SWAT with Plainfield PD. While shooting his department issued Sig Sauer 9mm...we observed several rounds 'glancing' off various vehicle's windshields while shooting in an auto junkyard...whereas my .357mag GP100 penetrated nearly everything around!

Shortly thereafter, his 'backup/off-duty' weapon became a Ruger Security-Six with a 2.75" barrel!

That's like comparing apples to oranges. One thing about glass. A lot of it depends on the angle the bullet strikes. One reason the Russians invented sloped armor. Plus, FMJ ammo typicaly will do a better job at penetrating glass, compared to JHP ammo. Where as JHP is better for soft tissue.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I forgot who said it, but for home defense, I would definitely grab my 12 ga first. If I can't get to that, the my .357 is second choice. However, I have 3 x 9mm's ready to go placed strategically throughout my house. Whatever I get to first, I know my shot placement will be there along with my follow up shots....

Find a range that offers rentals in all those calibers and shoot all 3. Felt recoil depends a lot on size of the gun and length of the barrel. Also, someone else mentioned ergonomics....how the gun actually feels in your hand will make all the difference in the world. I bought my XDMc simply because it felt great in my hand dry firing it. I have become very proficient in use for self defense with it since, as well as my full size sig P226 and my compact KelTec P11.....

Anyone can become proficient in anything with enough time. Ultimately, a higher capacity shotgun is your best bet, though, for home defense (and can be cheaper than the handgun you are considering.....)

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd echo what a lot of people have said here and elsewhere - pick the platform and caliber you shoot the best. I don't find the recoil of 40 or 45 to be excessive, but I shoot a lot better with 9mm. That's mostly because I practice a lot with 9mm. Make sure you can afford to practice with whatever you choose.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    9mm is perfectly fine. If you look around several PD's are going to 9mm from 40. On the "mythical" effectiveness of the 45 over everything else somebody didn't tell this guy how deadly the 45 is! His leg didn't vaporize or did he get knock back 10-20-30 or however many feet the story goes.

http://youtu.be/p3kJ6SU3ycs

I LOVE when the guy says "I just SHOT myself":): It just makes me laugh.

I carry a J frame 38 most of the time. But if you walk into my bedroom unannounced you will be looking down the barrel of a .45 in about 1 second. If you enter my house and I have about 20 seconds then your facing an XD40 with a weapon light attached. If you bring buddies then I will slap a loaded mag in the AR.

Bottom line, get what you want and what your going to be able to financialy afford to shoot. 1 well placed 22 is going to do more than 8 misses with a .45.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For home defense, I would recommend the .45 ACP. Good man stopper, and the slowest bullet. Better transfer of energy to target and less threat of shooting thru walls etc.

45 will go through more than 10 layers of drywall......where as a 12 Gauge with 00 buckshot won't.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes ,with most women Ive seen shoot the 45 it seems to be too much recoil and most are too much of a handful & recovery time is bad. the .40 ,better for them ,9mm with most just right and so much more managable,thus safer,enjoyable & more accurate shooting.

40s&w, won't over penetrate and doesn't have the massive recoil of the .45. All around great round!

Two examples why it is important to try different platforms in various calibers and form your own opinion.

Myself, I find the recoil in .45 not as bad in a steel framed gun as compared to a smaller caliber in a lighter framed weapon. While I have only tried the .40 S&W in polymer framed gun, I did find it to be the snappiest of the (3) calibers mentioned. Even 9mm can be a little snappy in a small, polymer package.

Felt recoil depends a lot on size of the gun and length of the barrel. Also, someone else mentioned ergonomics....how the gun actually feels in your hand will make all the difference in the world.

+1 !!! Again, the OP needs to shoot some different platforms and form his own opinion on what works best for him and which will give him the most confidence. Any of the (3) would serve him well...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My 1911 is the handgun of choice for nightstand duty, though I wouldnt feel under-armed with a 9mm or a .40. I am not a big fan of the .40, mainly because of the higher pressures that it operates at, and the accompanying muzzle blast.

As a first choice in home defense though, I would look into a good 12 pump gun. They tend to be cheaper, throw enough lead to actually put someone down, and practice with bird shot is comparable to most handgun ammo. As effective man stopping goes, the shotgun has handguns beat from nearly every angle.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    lightweights

Two examples why it is important to try different platforms in various calibers and form your own opinion.

Myself, I find the recoil in .45 not as bad in a steel framed gun as compared to a smaller caliber in a lighter framed weapon. While I have only tried the .40 S&W in polymer framed gun, I did find it to be the snappiest of the (3) calibers mentioned. Even 9mm can be a little snappy in a small, polymer package.
    . ...Thats why I prefer a heavy steel pistol or rifle,I never understood the concept of 'light' in any weapon. bad recoil & cant shoot as well. I have a 'mountain 'rifle,its a joke ,too light to hold it still,Im going to get a heavy stock and add 2+ lbs.

Top Bottom