• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This was my first time loading 9mm, and I had major difficulty dispensing powder. When I first loaded .223 I recall being impressed by my bench mounted Lee powder measurer--the standard one that came with the press--and how every round weighed the same without ever needing to modify the volume settings.

Now true, we're dealing with much less powder here, so what seemed like a slight variance in .223 could appear more drastic in 9mm, but I had to refill each shell five times on average to get an accurate 4.2g load. It took two hours to load fifty rounds! This isn't acceptable. Either I'm being too exacting, I need a new measurer, or I need different powder. I think the latter, but some advice or a work-around would be much appreciated.

The only powder Andrew had for me at the time was IMR-700X. Since it is so flakey and inconsistent in flake size I anticipated problems. Any ideas how to make this work?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure about the Lee but I had the same issue with my RCBS. Then I discovered that the RCBS has both a large and small cylinder. Once I switched to the small cylinder I started throwing charges much more consistently.

My brother bought the Redding after years of using his RCBS because the rumor was that it threw more accurately but that was not his experience. He now says he should have saved his money.

And when you think about it, if you are looking for that perfect load, you will most likely weigh each charge.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    RCBS Uniflow for Single Stage..

I really like the RCBS powder throw we have 2. The Lee got retired when we got the first one.

Get the RCBS Uni-flow--You WILL like it..
    I also have two of them-One with the small drum+One with the large drum.

Not sure about the Lee but I had the same issue with my RCBS. Then I discovered that the RCBS has both a large and small cylinder. Once I switched to the small cylinder I started throwing charges much more consistently.

My brother bought the Redding after years of using his RCBS because the rumor was that it threw more accurately but that was not his experience. He now says he should have saved his money.

And when you think about it, if you are looking for that perfect load, you will most likely weigh each charge.

For ME, the RCBS does what is needed, at a better price then the Redding.

A PERFECT (0.0gr. consistency) is not needed on pistol loads..Bill.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    what kind of press are you using? are you talking about the "prefect" powder measure? i have a pro auto disk and it is very consistent.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

That's what I think to. I load light to middle of the road so if I'm loading 4.5 grains of say Titegroup and throw some at 4.4, I'm not worried.

I weight every 10th round and rarely do I see movement in the weight and when I do it's a tenth.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Flake powder that is so common for shotshells might be the correct burn rate for pistols, but like you have noted, it is hard to throw a consistant charge. Try Titegroup, ww231, or Universal clays, AA#5, or another ball powder.

The variance in powder charges is not as much of a problem when loading shotshells where the normal charge is 18-22 grains. .4 grains either way really does not matter for that application.

Greg is also right about the large cylinder drum for rifles and the small cylinder drum for pistols with the RCBS uniflow measure. It makes a big difference with pistol sized charges.

Keeping the hopper on the powder measure all the way full and tapping the mounting bracket with a piece of broom stick (nothing that can spark) a couple of times between each throw can help settle the flake powder, but even that much bother is not perfect.

It will be slow going untill you use it up. Be glad you didn't buy a keg.

Good luck.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I find that Power Pistol meters excellent through my Lee. You could try doing an extra short stroke of maybe 5% when the cylinder is at the fill position to settle the charge. When I was loading for my 22-250 that extra tap made a huge difference in consistency especially with the extruded powders.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    buy the pro disk and junk the one your using. I hate that thing, it will constantly give an inconsistent powder drop with pistol charges and is a real PITA to work with. I'm surprised it worked well with your 223. That would be the only reason to keep it.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

when I load my favorite .40 S&W I always have a perfect 0.0 consitentcy, of course I get really picky with my favorites.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use the Lee disk system and I find that if I tap the powder holder everytime, my charges are very consistent.

Grab a bullet, tap tap, set, pull. repeat.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    what kind of press are you using? are you talking about the "prefect" powder measure? i have a pro auto disk and it is very consistent.

Yea, I think it is the plain "perfect" measure, or whatever comes with the breech lock set. That Lee Pro Auto is affordable, but it says it is for the turret press. Does anyone know if a more robust measurer that is under $40 that includes a bench mount? I was planning on getting another measurer anyways, so I can keep one set for .223 and the other for 9mm. I am a beginner but I have a thousand primed brass ready to go for each, and plan on doing large quantities and avoiding factory ammo from now on. I have all the components, I just need to hammer out a system that is efficient before I do that many at once.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am having getting consistent powder throws with Power Pistol loading 9mm and using the Hornady powder measure on my Lock n Load reloader. I am loading 6.0 grains in my 9 mm cases. I've fouond the variations range from 5.6 to 6.4 when I started so I began weighing every shell. I have started weigh the powder on an electric scale that I just purchased. I haven't reweighed anything on my balance beam scale to confirm the powder charges. I do not have the small pistol cylinder in the measure - I think obtaining that may help with consistency. I was formerly loading 231 in .45 acp awith this powder measure nd didn't see any variations like I'm now seeing with Power Pistol. I may try to reload some 9mm with 231 and see if the charges are more consistent - but then won't know what to do with almost 4 pounds of Power Pistol !

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Amboy, the Hornady pistol metering assembly definately works better with pistol weights. The good part about the Hornady design is that you do not have to change out the whole drum, because each metering assembly installs in the same drum.

I went one step farther with my Hornady. I ordered and extra pistol sized metering assembly and milled off part of the piston so that it would throw 30 grains when it was at full capacity. This made 24 grains the middle of the adjustment, perfect for the little .223 REM round. This modified metering assembly threw almost perfect charges of Varget every time. After I made that piece, I quit individually weighing charges for my 200 and 300 yard ammo. I did weigh and trickle for my 600 yard ammo, but generally the powder chage did not need to be "touched up".

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    This was my first time loading 9mm, and I had major difficulty dispensing powder. When I first loaded .223 I recall being impressed by my bench mounted Lee powder measurer--the standard one that came with the press--and how every round weighed the same without ever needing to modify the volume settings.

Now true, we're dealing with much less powder here, so what seemed like a slight variance in .223 could appear more drastic in 9mm, but I had to refill each shell five times on average to get an accurate 4.2g load. It took two hours to load fifty rounds! This isn't acceptable. Either I'm being too exacting, I need a new measurer, or I need different powder. I think the latter, but some advice or a work-around would be much appreciated.

The only powder Andrew had for me at the time was IMR-700X. Since it is so flakey and inconsistent in flake size I anticipated problems. Any ideas how to make this work?

These are some of the issues that made me pull the trigger on buying my XL650 and switching to ball powder like Accurate Arms No. 5. Since. Then, I weigh about every 25 rounds and have never seen anything worse than +/- 0.1 grains

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Yea, I think it is the plain "perfect" measure, or whatever comes with the breech lock set. That Lee Pro Auto is affordable, but it says it is for the turret press. Does anyone know if a more robust measurer that is under $40 that includes a bench mount? I was planning on getting another measurer anyways, so I can keep one set for .223 and the other for 9mm. I am a beginner but I have a thousand primed brass ready to go for each, and plan on doing large quantities and avoiding factory ammo from now on. I have all the components, I just need to hammer out a system that is efficient before I do that many at once.
    the disk system also works for a single stage press as well, screw it into the charging die and start charging. The only thing that sucks is swapping disks and powder. This is the current set up I use until I can afford a more progressive style press. It works quite well.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Flaky powder can build up static, cant hurt to rub it down inside and out with a dryer sheet and see if it helps. (unique thru my lyman 55 needs downy'd occasionally)

Top Bottom