• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Steel .38 spl. snubby. Carry weight not a concern,weight to lesson recoil is a factor, size is important that is will fit in her purse (pocket type holster)

Thanks everyone I am burning up the computer checking out your suggestions.

Anyone have any expirience with a Para 9mm LDA compact

looking at sp-101 3" .38 ?? anyone have expirence on sp 101 3" recoil vs snubbies??

Have a PO Carry 9 that I like. But I think a PO might be a bit large for purse carry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. This is an interesting one. I typically consider standard 38 spl loads and 9mm loads to be about equivalent in terms of recoil energy. The recoil impulse can feel different for at least a couple of reasons; revolvers sometimes have a higher bore axis, and the semi-autos may have a slower recoil velocity due to some of the energy being soaked up by the slide action. Felt recoil is a more subjective beast than the objective numbers might suggest.

Something in the neighborhood of 5-6" L x 4-5" H might be about what would work well in a purse. Much shorter and she might not be able to get all her fingers on the grip which would increase felt recoil.

Something like the Kahr K9 would make a dandy purse gun (although I don't recommend purse carry), and it hasn't been mentioned yet. It's 6" L x 4.5" H and comes in on the heavy side for a small-ish gun at 25 oz. The only thing that's a strike against it possibly, from a recoil perspective, is it's 0.90" width which means the recoil energy is concentrated on that .9" rather than something wider. Something like the small Bersa 9s would be wider and about as heavy.

Whatever you settle on, I'd encourage you to not just let it float around in there. For safety, reliability, and tactical reasons you'll want some kind of holster system in the purse.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Thanks Cosermann, the guns your mentioned seem to be close in size to my kimber ultra carry II, I will see how it fits, she has an actually holster purse that has a pocket type holster velcro-ed in it own compartment.

I really thank you all for your help and suggestions,the nearest gun shop for me is good hour away-now we have some idea as to what to look at when we make the trip.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have and carry the Para CARRY 9 LDA pistol, its one of several 1911 style carry guns I rotate, depending on my mood. Its a great carry gun. The trigger is fantastic, long but light and a nice smooth pull. I like the combination of the long pull AND the physical thumb safety. For a "purse" carry, you must be very careful with the types of trigger mechanisms you use. Glock and similar pistols are NOT recommended for any sort of non-secured carry such as being tucked in a purse or pocket (remember Plaxico Burris in the NY nightclub?) For "purse carry" where the trigger may be exposed, a gun with EITHER a physical safety, or a LONG DOUBLE ACTION TRIGGER is strongly encouraged. Obviously with a "holster purse" some of those concerns are eliminated.

The Para CARRY 9 offers a nice package of 1911 ergonomics, long double action pull and manual safety. Not too many other guns offer those features.

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    wife has a stoeger cougar, she really likes it. recoil isn't bad, but all I have to compare it with are 40s and 45s.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    looking at sp-101 3" .38 ?? anyone have expirence on sp 101 3" recoil vs snubbies??

I have a 2.25" SP101. Compared to a Model 36 Airweight...

In my hand the 125gr .357 Remington SJHP in the SP101 stings less than the Remington 158gr LSWCHP+P in the Airweight.

(PS I do not recommend shooting +P in the Model 36 for longevity reasons).

In regard to the Para... If you have the budget for it... what about the EMP?

Are you definitely looking for a 9mm?

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I concur that the XD9sc is a possibility for a woman or a Sig P220. The only concern is their level of comfort with a clip fed pistol. Can she rack it okay? If so it is a better gun than a wheel gun.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Look at something with a low bore axis like the S&W M&P9, Glock 17, 19, or even 26, or maybe even a 9mm 1911. All should be very soft shooters.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Bersa 9UC is worth considering. They are small enough to be carried in a purse (although, not a lightweight), have a DA/SA trigger that's actually pretty nice and they have a manual safety. I took my sister and niece to the range to let them try a bunch of pistols out and after shooting a PK380, P22, Bersa 380, Bersa 9UC and full size 1911, they both liked the Bersa 9UC the best.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    She currently carries a Taurus PT138, it suits her fine however I would rather her carry a 9mm. Maybe I'll let her try the Taurus PT111 since it is similar and see if she can endure the recoil for limited range time and carry using the .380 for longer practice sessions.

If you search the "Women and Firearms" threads, you will see a common theme:

It's HER gun, so it should be HER choice.

I am not trying to be harsh here, honestly, but after reading thread after thread on similar subjects, the one thing they all had in common was that the choice should be left up to the wife/gf. It's her carry gun, it's her life on the line if she has to use it, so it should be her choice as to what she carries...:twocents:

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I agree with something along the lines of the M&P9c. Granted the shorter bore axis will generally be harder to shoot. And the polymer frame compared to a metal frame will generally recoil more. But those are things you can get over. Otherwise a Springfield EMP or Colt commander 9mm would be great choices. Small, single stack, 1911 ergos.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    I agree to a point, as she is relying on me to help her make an informed decision on her choices. She does like her .380 but has no idea what other choices are out there with the exception of the .38 spl. and the Beretta 92 WHICH SHE LIKED PROMPTING MY POST. We do not have the luxury of going to a range with rental for her to try or we would. . My intent of this post was to get some ideas of some pistols that she may like and be able to shoot comfortably before driving and spending a whole day only to come home and find out a certain model pistol has more recoil than another model we did not know about.
    Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I agree wholehartedly with the "let her decide" philosophy. That being said, the wife uses a Taurus 24/7 pro CDS in 9mm. The safety system seems to me to be a good one for purse carry also. She likes the soft grip, and sends hundreds of practice rounds downrange when we get to go. She doesn't even think about the recoil on that thing!

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The S&W M&P series might be the ticket.Low bore axis. That means the centerline of the bore will be closer to her hand. This will transfer more recoil straight into her hand rather than wrenching the pistol upwards via muzzle rise. Interchangable backstraps will allow her to fit the gun to her hand, also.If you can get an Apex sear for it, the trigger pull will be better than stock quickly and cheaply as well.Good luck!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I agree to a point, as she is relying on me to help her make an informed decision on her choices. She does like her .380 but has no idea what other choices are out there with the exception of the .38 spl. and the Beretta 92 WHICH SHE LIKED PROMPTING MY POST. We do not have the luxury of going to a range with rental for her to try or we would. . My intent of this post was to get some ideas of some pistols that she may like and be able to shoot comfortably before driving and spending a whole day only to come home and find out a certain model pistol has more recoil than another model we did not know about.
    Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions

I wish I was closer to you, I would let her shoot my Bersa 9UC. To me the perceived recoil is even less than my Bersa 380, and my wife can rack the slide on it, when she couldnt on the 380.

If she can shoot the Beretta and likes it...too bad they dont make a compact model, eh?

Maybe you can find someone in your area with a Taurus 9 slim, or other taurus 9 that will meet you at a range? INGO members are pretty willing to help out in that area.

Good luck.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Steel .38 spl. snubby. Carry weight not a concern,weight to lesson recoil is a factor, size is important that is will fit in her purse (pocket type holster)

Thanks everyone I am burning up the computer checking out your suggestions.

A 3" SP101 is a total sweetheart with .38s, even +Ps, a real pleasure to shoot. HIGHLY recommended.

Top Bottom