• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Okay just got my first reloader and I am looking to start pressing 9mm rounds. What I am looking for is just cheap plinking rounds and maybe getting into USPSA production. This may have all been covered before in other threads but I couldn't find it. I am looking for a load combination that is cheap to shoot, clean, and reliable. I have heard a lot about loads, burn rates, velocities, and how "snappy" it feels. I will be using it primarily in an M&P Pro. 9mm with the 5" barrel if that helps.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Just remember, in a semi-auto, your "light" loads, must work the slide, for extraction, ejection,and cocking .....

I understand that, I currently have the standard recoil spring in so I am assuming that something close to production ammo is in the works but I didn't know if anyone did the math on the different powders, prices of the powders, required load, and cost per pop.

I think I am seeing Black Bullets International in my future as the round. Unless someone has a different though.

Also should I just run 115gr rounds? I currently have no plans to doing major power so what is to gain in upping the projectile weight?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I like the 124+125gr. Projectiles...

Most of my 9MM loads are in this grain weight. I like them @ 1025-1100fps. Good/accurate loads+will function all 9MM pistols fine.

FWIW, be sure to observe the overall length on all of your loads...The DEEPER that you seat the projectile, the HIGHER the pressure goes...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    " Also should I just run 115gr rounds? I currently have no plans to doing major power so what is to gain in upping the projectile weight"
    ^^^ With the 124-125gr. weights you will usually gain 'bearing surface", or contact with the barrel due to the longer projectile. This usually adds to accuracy, without adding much recoil..Bill.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    for USPSA production loads, go over to brianenos.com and there are pages and pages of load data.

I prefer 147s w/ a faster powder. w/ these types of loads you tend to get less front-sight lift. others don't like the way they 'feel' and prefer lighter bullets.
    Powders like Titegroup, N320 are popular for 147s.

Lots of good reasonable priced bullets out there. Zero, Montana Gold, SNS, BBI, berrys, etc....

You need to make 125 PF for USPSA legal loads. So eventually you'll need, or need access to a Chrono. Any load that makes PF will be stout enough to make the gun work, although many, incl myself, prefer lighter recoil springs anyway.... again that helps keep the FS tame.

-rvb

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I will have to check out that Enos website again. I am also looking at loading my first batch of nine soon for a G17.

I am assuming the heavier bullet weights act like they do in the .45acp? I know the 230's in 45 cycle slow and soft compared to lighter pills. The 200's I loaded in the 45 had more bark, more abrupt recoil and seemed to cycle faster. Both were very accurate so I guess I will go with whatever is on sale.

With the nine upping the weight should knock steel down more reliably. I notice the nine guys having to shoot multiple times in order to knock poppers down. The 45 knocks down with one hit. I am a 45 guy and am hoping to shoot more nine in order to save some money. See how it goes.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    for USPSA production loads, go over to brianenos.com and there are pages and pages of load data.

I prefer 147s w/ a faster powder. w/ these types of loads you tend to get less front-sight lift. others don't like the way they 'feel' and prefer lighter bullets.
    Powders like Titegroup, N320 are popular for 147s.

Lots of good reasonable priced bullets out there. Zero, Montana Gold, SNS, BBI, berrys, etc....

You need to make 125 PF for USPSA legal loads. So eventually you'll need, or need access to a Chrono. Any load that makes PF will be stout enough to make the gun work, although many, incl myself, prefer lighter recoil springs anyway.... again that helps keep the FS tame.

-rvb

Thanks for the help..I was assuming that more weight ment more lift and more recoil but never took seating depth into consideration.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I will have to check out that Enos website again. I am also looking at loading my first batch of nine soon for a G17.

I am assuming the heavier bullet weights act like they do in the .45acp? I know the 230's in 45 cycle slow and soft compared to lighter pills. The 200's I loaded in the 45 had more bark, more abrupt recoil and seemed to cycle faster. Both were very accurate so I guess I will go with whatever is on sale.

With the nine upping the weight should knock steel down more reliably. I notice the nine guys having to shoot multiple times in order to knock poppers down. The 45 knocks down with one hit. I am a 45 guy and am hoping to shoot more nine in order to save some money. See how it goes.

That is very true...the rounds I shot I had a couple where the 9 didn't knock it down and messed me up because I had to go back to the target after I had already moved on. So the heavier rounds make a lot of sence there. So what should I put behind the 147gr to get a good burn and my 125fp.....or should I be looking at more fp to help with the steel knockdown?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    That is very true...the rounds I shot I had a couple where the 9 didn't knock it down and messed me up because I had to go back to the target after I had already moved on. So the heavier rounds make a lot of sence there. So what should I put behind the 147gr to get a good burn and my 125fp.....or should I be looking at more fp to help with the steel knockdown?

Someone recommended we try 134 gr bullets using 3.5 gr. of Titegroup for a soft shooting low recoil minimum muzzle flip round. The recommendation was spot on and we are now using this load for USPSA and IDPA shoots in our Glock 34's. Prior to that I was shooting 115 gr bullets which were "snappier." Both rounds cycle in our guns without issue. I have not chronographed either load but might do so tomorrow during range time practice for Saturday's IDPA shoot at Atlanta. I will disclaim we both have a replacement spring in our guns.

If you'd like to shoot a few rounds of the 134's give me a p.m. and I'll be glad to furnish a few (subject to disclaimer they are my reloads and you are firing at your own risk). If that makes you nervous you can watch me reload them. Apparently I live around the corner from you. (Zionsville)

As always, please check your reloading manual(s) for load data and safety.

YMMV

BTW, just like in real life, proper shot placement is more important than calibre/velocity/f.p.s. regarding your concern about steel knock down power. Aim for the upper 20% of the target and you should have no issues.

Lastly, I have some 147 gr. bullets I'll give you if you want to load some up.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I gave you a couple of powders above. For uspsa/Idpa you should target a min of 130PF. I run 132-137 depending on the gun. While properly calibrated steel should fall with much less than 125 PF ammo, the added momentum is good for a little insurance against a heavy-set popper or a low hit.

-rvb

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    This must be covered in 10,000 previous posts and there should be some relevant sticky.
    The gun doesn't matter--the load data and such is the same.
    What do you WANT? If you want to plink, pick up any reloading manual, select a powder using both a 115gn and 124gn bullet (usually one about in the middle from the very fastest to the very slowest powders tested), buy bullets, and start with the starting load and work up. Great initial powder would be W231/HP38. Learn first before moving on.
    If you want to go action pistol, you will probably want to go ultimately to a 147gn bullet and a very fast powder, at the lowest charge weight that meets 127-130 PF. I prefer 124gn bullets for some snap, as it feels that it returns to battery and the target faster. Most prefer a "push" and they say the gun stays on target. You have find what works for you.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    noylj hit on what's to me important for COL: the bullets themselves. I've measured bullets from different vendors, and the cheaper ones often have more variance than the more expensive. Recommendation: take 20 bullets out of the box. Caliper the length from the tip to the base on each and record the results. You'll be amazed how much variance you get on cheap bullets; more expensive bullets have less variance. I don't have a way to measure the ogive consistency, but it strikes me that if the caliper length from tip to base varies, then so does the curve of the ogive. (The same holds true on weight. Take those 20 bullets and put each on the scale. Again, you'll see that a bullet that's supposed to weigh 24 grains most of the time has a variance of up to about 1.0 grains).
    When you measure cartridge OAL, you do that from the tip of the bullet to the base of the brass (make sure your primers don't protrude and become part of your OAL measurement).
    BUT: when you SEAT your bullets, the die does not press against the bullet tip; it presses around the ogive (lower down from the bullet tip). Thus the consistency of the ogive controls the accuracy of bullet seating depth; the COL is not measured from the die contact point of the ogive, it's measured from the tip of the bullet. Thus the bullet shape consistency (i.e., ogive shape consistency) is important to get COL measurement consistent.
    I like Berry's Bullets ... to me, they seem to be the most consistent for the price. Here is a sample I just did:

9mm Berry's 24 grain plated round nose

1 123.76 .5855 (bullet number, caliper length, weight)
    2 124.22 .5860
    3 124.02 .5865
    4 123.96 .5885
    5 124.42 .5900
    6 124.08 .5870
    7 124.02 .5865
    8 123.78 .5860
    9 123.80 .5870
    10 123.84 .5845

All diameters were exactly .3565 inches.

Other brands have not measured so accurately for me. Weights were measured on a UniqueTek highly accurate powder scale; lengths were on a digital caliper.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm a big fan of the SNS 147 gr coated FP. 3.1 gr Titegroup at 1.17 OAL will run fine in a Glock 34 (gen 3) with a stock recoil spring. As I just got myself a new G34 gen 4 I will need to test these rounds in it to ensure function. Power factor was just under 140 so I might be able to tone them down just a touch. This same round also functioned fine out of a G17 and G17L, both were Gen 3's. I cannot comment on the 135 gr loadings as I have not tried them but I am somewhat intrigued.

Also don't worry about major PF, you can only shoot minor in Production anyways. The only place you can shoot major in 9mm is Open.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I don't shoot competitive, I'm just a plinker. My 9 loads consist of 124 grain lrn, 3.3 grains of titegroup, with an oal of 1.16....for what its worth.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I bought some heavy plated bulltets from rmrbullets.com (1500 fps.or.less) and they hane match grade bulltets for 81.00 per 1000. I really like them you might work up a load that recoils well and wont break the bank. That 81.00 plus 3.00 is full shipping cost. 500 rds are 45.+3.00.

Love the bullets and they havw great others.

Top Bottom