• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yep. Revolvers normally rely on rims on the ammo to hold them in place. Without it, the round would just pass right through. It's so wierd, I was just looking up this very thing.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    Nope, I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 with a 9mm cylinder and it did not use moon clips.
    I would say why not but I might use the wrong terminology.:dunno:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ruger had the 9mm security Six and Speed Six and S&W had the 547 back in the early 1980's. If my memory is correct I believe it was the S&W 547 had something in the cylynder that moonclips were optional. Somekind of tiny arm in the clynder pushed against the casing pushung it out when the ejector rod was pushed.

I could be wrong maybe both had that system.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I hear recoil on a 9mm is nasty, any opinions?

Eh, opinions are subjective!

It'll all depend on the person holding the gun, the type of ammo, and the weight / ergonomics of the gun.

Speaking in general terms, shooting a standard pressure 9mm round out of a 15oz J-frame will probably feel more stout than a standard pressure .38 Special round out of a 15oz J-frame; provided both guns are wearing the same kind of grip.

-J-

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Not to be controversial, but apart from the advantage of interchangeable ammo between other 9mm guns and a revolver, why mess with a 9mm revolver? There are good 9mm pocket pistols, and there are outstanding full size and compact semi-auto pistols. Why does the world need a revolver in 9mm when there are already so many other semi-autos chambered for this round and that will fulfill almost all (if not all) roles demanded of a 9mm handgun?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not to be controversial, but apart from the advantage of interchangeable ammo between other 9mm guns and a revolver, why mess with a 9mm revolver? There are good 9mm pocket pistols, and there are outstanding full size and compact semi-auto pistols. Why does the world need a revolver in 9mm when there are already so many other semi-autos chambered for this round and that will fulfill almost all (if not all) roles demanded of a 9mm handgun?

Many times in the realm of firearms...the answer is "just because".

You can also get superior ballistics from the 9x19, even out of such a short barrel, than .38 Special loadings.

-J-

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co

Thats a fair question. Here are some of my thoughts: Revolvers require less maintenance than semi autos, so cleaning is way easier. Clearing a malfunction on a semi auto requires much more effort than a revolver; all you have to do is pull the trigger again for the revolver.

To go with the interchangeable ammo, if the wife/mother/or any one with weak/arthritic hands may not be able to rack a slide on a semi auto. So, same ammo as their family members EDC, and they will be able to fire it :dunno:

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The snubby 9mm just never really caught on. Some gun enthusiast thought it might be a solid back up gun for LE since most were going to 9mm semi auto's in the late 80's but it just didn't happen. Personally I think there might still be a place for the gun for someone not real familiar with guns. Put a Crimson Trace on a snubby 9mm, and pull the trigger ...... I'm just sayin'. 9mm ammo is not too expensive yet. I recently purchased a S&W 625 45 acp and it's a hand full.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Because you can't shoot semi autos in Revolver division of USPSA/IPSC or in ICORE! The main advantage in a 9mm revolver for me would be what I stated above but also 9mm is cheaper and you generally find more amounts and variety of it at most stores (if you don't find time to reload) It is also shorter than 38 Special so combined in moonclips can be reloaded FAST for competition.

S&W had a run of their 627's in 38 super that alot of folks ran 9mm through. Penical offers to chamber a 357 cylnder in 9X23 and you can run 9mm,38super or 9X23 in it so there is even more variety!

Top Bottom