• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The fact that revolver rounds use rimmed cartridges make the using of non rimmed rounds an after fact in the building of the gun.

Nice to have for the utility of it but should not be the primary means of deployment
    My 627s shoot a rimmed cartridge, but they still benefit from the addition to moon clips. Maybe not for everyone, but for match shooting that is a big plus.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’m a curmudgeonly old fart, so I don’t put much stock in the negative nellies or naysayers. I say if you find them interesting and think they may be fun, then get what you want and enjoy it. You only go around once. And it‘s a short go around. Have a good time while you can. And good luck to ya.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have the New Ruger Blackhawk with the .38/357 & 9mm cylinders. It is a nice single action revolver. I never shoot the 9mm cylinder but it is nice to have it if I ever wanted to.
    I have the same set up but needs to be mentioned that the 9mm cylinder does not require moon clips on my model!! that is the bonus of this set up, i actually shoot the 9mm on a rest and bust clay pigeons at 100 yards all day long!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mij

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My 627s shoot a rimmed cartridge, but they still benefit from the addition to moon clips. Maybe not for everyone, but for match shooting that is a big plus.
    Does it shoot the moon clipped rounds as well as the rimmed rounds?
    A farther jump to the forcing cone and then In to the rifling. If it shoots the moon clipped rounds as well as the longer rimmed rounds it would seem to defy all I was taught of accurate barrels. Then again I have seen very long jump to the lands and grooves In Rifles outshoot a match chamber with only a small jump to said above. Not always do things wok how we envision they shall.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I really can't see the appeal of a 9mm revolver. A .357 mag. revolver is much more versatile. Of course I reload for 9mm, .38 SPL and .357 mag. among others, so there is no big savings regarding ammo costs.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Does it shoot the moon clipped rounds as well as the rimmed rounds?
    A farther jump to the forcing cone and then In to the rifling. If it shoots the moon clipped rounds as well as the longer rimmed rounds it would seem to defy all I was taught of accurate barrels. Then again I have seen very long jump to the lands and grooves In Rifles outshoot a match chamber with only a small jump to said above. Not always do things wok how we envision they shall.
    For the 627 (38/.357 8-shot N-Frame) the rimmed cases (38& .357) are placed into the moon clips. They do not need to be, but the moon clipped rounds do not require a speed loader and they keep your brass together after you dump the brass from the cylinder.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I really can't see the appeal of a 9mm revolver. A .357 mag. revolver is much more versatile. Of course I reload for 9mm, .38 SPL and .357 mag. among others, so there is no big savings regarding ammo costs.
    The long cases of the 38 and .357 do not load really quickly into the cylinder. Shorter cases do. I can reload my S&W 625 (45ACP w/ moon clips) as fast as I can reload my 1911s in practice.

For competions, I can see a benifit reloading on the clock with the 9mm. It will load much quicker.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I am on the lookout for a quality 9mm revolver. I like revolvers but I am consolidating the calibers I use. I'm down to only 9mm for my centerfire handguns. With a 9mm revolver, I can have my revolver and still use the ammo I stock up on. It may not be the most tactical setup but I think it would be fun and a change from the plastic fantastics I have.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I am on the lookout for a quality 9mm revolver. I like revolvers but I am consolidating the calibers I use. I'm down to only 9mm for my centerfire handguns. With a 9mm revolver, I can have my revolver and still use the ammo I stock up on. It may not be the most tactical setup but I think it would be fun and a change from the plastic fantastics I have.
    It’s a great hobby. Enjoy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You may like the Ruger Super GP100 Competition in 9mm. It's not a carry gun, but for range and competition it should be great. It's an 8-shot revolver built on the Ruger Redhawk frame. When it came out I thought it might be cool to have, but I have three S&W 8-shot revolvers in 38/.357 so it would not mke sense for me. I shoot revolvers a lot. More than half my handguns are revolvers. I use my 8-shot revolvers for steel challenge, ICORE, and range fun.

I wonder if you could load that with 9mm major rds without harm.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I shot them an email to ask about that just now.
    If they say yes I'd be very tempted.
    Add it to my bucket list of firearms :)
    It’s a very strong gun, I own several. I know you’re not a boot, you of corse realize I’m only joking about dynamite of course. But there are those on this forum that may not get the purple in the post.
    ;)

So for those individuals, dynamite was a joke. Rugers are about the strongest pistols out there.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It’s a very strong gun, I own several. I know you’re not a boot, you of corse realize I’m only joking about dynamite of course. But there are those on this forum that may not get the purple in the post.
    ;)

So for those individuals, dynamite was a joke. Rugers are about the strongest pistols out there.
    I would think a revolver from ruger being a competition revolver should be able to handle 9mm major. I'll find out though.

• Love

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It is built on the Ruger Redhawk. That takes the hottest 44 mag loads. I would think 9mm major loads should be fine. Why would you do that, though?
    For the extra power and because it can.
    Just like the Ruger 45colt Super Blackhawk can handle loads far beyond normal 45colt pressure. People do it for the extra power.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me the revolver is king if you make your own ammo. Any SA will have a powder/bullet range that it likes to function in, but you can load any type of ammo, including shot loads, in a revolver without concern for function.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For me the revolver is king if you make your own ammo. Any SA will have a powder/bullet range that it likes to function in, but you can load any type of ammo, including shot loads, in a revolver without concern for function.
    That is the cool factor with revolvers.
    As you get older and maybe more recoil sensitive or possibly hand injuries, wrist injuries, or arthritis prevent you from using full power + loads you can load it down to what you can handle.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    S&W makes the 986 a 7 shot L frame in different barrel lengths and The 929 with a 6.5 barrel and the Ruger GP mentioned above.
    The 9mm guns require moon clip where the .357 version works with or without the moonclips(at least those that come from the factory cut for moonclips).
    I don't really get the distain for moonclips, as mentioned you get your brass back and can load them up at home and spend the time on the range shooting instead of loading magazines.
    I don't find them any more difficult to load than loading a magazine and their are tools to help with that just like their are for magazines.
    Based on my experience their is no way to shoot 9 Major in these revolvers. Not sure why someone would want/need to shoot major out of a 9mm revolver but their is NO competition that gives a advantage to shooting major in 7 or 8 shot guns against a revolver shooting minor.
    Their is a lot more to shooting Major than the strength of the gun. Extraction becomes sticky as the pressures go up and get to the point of hammers and squib rods tapping the cases out a little at a time with the cylinder open.
    In the competition world it is actually a bit of a challenge to get minor power factor(125 PF) without sticky extraction and most shooters going to 147 or 160 grain bullets and using certain powders to keep things in check.
    Most factory ammo and equivalent reloads should work fine but will almost never makes MINOR power factor out of the revolver.

Since only a couple of places sell 9 Major ammo and it is a small market but I'm sure if you get a response from Ruger it will be NO.
    I believe all the manufactures state no reloads in their guns let alone over pressure loads like 9 Major.:lmfao:

Top Bottom