• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have been using Hornady Critical Defense for a long time. Recently I had an experience that led me to believe that particular 115 grain bullet had less than desirable penetration. I have considered 147 grain Gold Dot. But when I went to buy them, I did not see any. I did see Hornady Critical Duty which are a 135 grain +P round. I know that a friend uses them, so I thought I would give them a try. Finally took them out this afternoon. I told my wife to listen from the house to see if she could tell if they were louder. She said they were. :): I had read on a Kahr forum that +P rounds might be a handful out of my CM9. I noticed a slight difference, but not much. Accuracy was good and no trouble with feeding. What do others use, and how many rounds do you usually shoot out of your pistol before you are comfortable carrying that particular round. Self defense rounds are very expensive when you usually spend about $5 for 50 rounds reloading.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It's a handgun caliber. Pick one that feeds reliably in your gun. Then practice shot placement. I personally tend to gravitate towards heavy for caliber weights in standard pressure

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Federal HST 147gr. I put about 200 rounds of HST through my EDC gun before I started carrying it. I ran Speer Gold Dot 124gr for about 10 years before switching last year.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It's a handgun caliber. Pick one that feeds reliably in your gun. Then practice shot placement. I personally tend to gravitate towards heavy for caliber weights in standard pressure

+1.. Trauma surgeon named Sydney Vail said "handguns and stopping power should not be used in the same sentence. Handguns don't have stopping power".
    Bullet placement = stopping power. Where you hit is all important and what you hit it with much less important. I use 124Gr Federal HST.. I know people that have used this round and it performed as advertised.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've always used either the HST's from federal or the Winchester Ranger 9mm. Like mentioned before make sure whatever you get feeds reliably before making a it a daily carry option and practice with it...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Standard pressure 147 HST's. Gold Dots are good too as are the Winchester Ranger. In 9mm, heavy for caliber and bonded are probably the most important next to feeding reliably. BBI has mentioned that here a few times which he quotes DocGKR. Read here>>> https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?99-Self-Defense-and-Duty-Loads-ballistics-info-by-DocGKR

Quoted from the article.

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I pretty much have switched over to Xtreme Defender. I think that hollow points will eventually go the way of the Dodo.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've been moving over to the 147g HST for all of my 9mm carry guns. Bone Frog Gun Club sells them for $17.99 per box of 50. Makes it easy to vet a carry gun at that price.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/col...federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p9hst2

The first link "luckygunner" shows this round as having a median penetration of 15.2" and median bullet diameter after impact of .61" and at that price, I am definitely going to check them out. Most SD rounds cost more for 20 or 25 rounds than those cost for 50!

I just ordered 2 boxes. Thanks Tim!!

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Critical Duty vs. Critical Defense? Per Hornady, Critical Duty is intended for longer barrel "full size" handguns while Critical Defense is intended for smaller, shorter barreled guns.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The first link "luckygunner" shows this round as having a median penetration of 15.2" and median bullet diameter after impact of .61" and at that price, I am definitely going to check them out. Most SD rounds cost more for 20 or 25 rounds than those cost for 50!

I just ordered 2 boxes. Thanks Tim!!

I just put a mic on a fired 124gr HST standard pressure that I recovered from water. Granted that's not scientific but it mic'd .635". I ran that round for last 2-3yrs but now run the HST 147gr standard pressure since it's become more available and it runs just fine in my G19

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    +1.. Trauma surgeon named Sydney Vail said "handguns and stopping power should not be used in the same sentence. Handguns don't have stopping power".
    Bullet placement = stopping power. Where you hit is all important and what you hit it with much less important. I use 124Gr Federal HST.. I know people that have used this round and it performed as advertised.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

^^^THIS^^^

Pretty much all the modern 9mm ammo performs better than it did 3 decades ago but thats only part of it. Several rounds that didn't do as well in gel tests actually have decent street results in actual police shootings. Fed 9bp and Win Silvertip are just 2 examples. Silvertip gets a bad wrap because of the FBI Miami shooting but they forget to mention the agent lost his glasses during the fight (Murphy's law) so had he had another good hit different story.

1. What's available in your area consistently

2 Does it perform in your gun with good accuracy

No magic bullet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    ^^^THIS^^^

Pretty much all the modern 9mm ammo performs better than it did 3 decades ago but thats only part of it. Several rounds that didn't do as well in gel tests actually have decent street results in actual police shootings. Fed 9bp and Win Silvertip are just 2 examples. Silvertip gets a bad wrap because of the FBI Miami shooting but they forget to mention the agent lost his glasses during the fight (Murphy's law) so had he had another good hit different story.

1. What's available in your area consistently

2 Does it perform in your gun with good accuracy

No magic bullet

Actually even with Grogan loosing his glasses one of his 9mm rounds hit Matix, struck an artery and he continued to fight. With that said I'm an HST guy.

Top Bottom