• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It kind of makes me giggle a little in some of the posts. It sounds like we are discussing ethical kill shots on coons?

I am sorry and you guys can say what you will but I shoot them with whatever is close at hand. Whether that be a 300 win mag. or a 22lr, hell I have shot them with 410 bird shot before. They don't fall out of the tree or fall over dead but I know they aren't going to be a problem in the future, just saying.

They rake havoc on our chickens, carry a hole host nasty bugs, can cost a ton of $ if your dog gets one cornered....got no place for them at our house.

Before we left Texas I got a critter getter, a very light weight flintlock with a fifty cal round tapered 32" long smooth bore barrel to use bird shot (think .410 equivalent) or patched round ball. That became the house gun. Needed one there because there were always something coming out of the woods. Now we just have varmints tumping over the flower pots and bambis trying to eat all the bushes, vines and fruit trees. May Bell (photo at left) is taking care of the neighbor dogs so far but she needs to not be quite so brazen.

PS,
    As you might imagine May Bell didn't cotton much to Snuffy... another reason the coon had to go way before growing up!

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    whatever you get, I would put a light and red dot on it. He's going to be shooting at night.

That is another reason I suggested the HiPoint. It has lots of rail space.

He uses a .22 mag lever action with a fixed 4x scope now. So holding his flashlight and trying to get the cross hairs on a critter that isn't sitting still is a challenge.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    That is another reason I suggested the HiPoint. It has lots of rail space.

He uses a .22 mag lever action with a fixed 4x scope now. So holding his flashlight and trying to get the cross hairs on a critter that isn't sitting still is a challenge.

This is what Carl uses to hunt varmints...

[video=youtube;kmHQO-Q_wrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmHQO-Q_wrU[/video]

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    For small little critters, grab some 90 to 100 grain .380 jhps (Montana Golds would be fine) and load them hot. It's hard to hurt one of those Hi Points and you sure don't need 12in of penetration.

Top Bottom