• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I really like my .40s. After the first one, 9mm completely left my lineup and .45 is about to go away too. IMO .40 is the best of both worlds, more power than .45 yet as compact as the 9mm. I hate these caliber comparison/preference threads but either way that's how I personally feel (I also don't like boneless ham, fish, or organized religion but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with any of them).

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At this point in time I think a 9mm is more in my price range. Sad but true. I don't think it will be a Glock as much as I want one againg. Just not in the funds at this point in time.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Considering the marginal to non-existent advantage the .40 has over the 9mm when it come to SD I would personally be happier with less expensive practice ammo and the additional magazine capacity of the 9mm.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I really like my .40s. After the first one, 9mm completely left my lineup and .45 is about to go away too. IMO .40 is the best of both worlds, more power than .45 yet as compact as the 9mm. I hate these caliber comparison/preference threads but either way that's how I personally feel (I also don't like boneless ham, fish, or organized religion but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with any of them).

I'm guessing you meant to say ". . .more power than the 9mm. . ." If not, you're the first person I've ever seen say the .40 has more power than the .45.

I've often heard it said the .40 is the best of both worlds. That may be true, or not, depending on how you look at it. Many say it has more power than the 9mm, and more capacity than the .45: best of both worlds.

I say it has less power than the .45 and less capacity than the 9mm: Worst of both worlds.

That said, I've owned .40s, and have no complaints about them at all. I just like my 9mm pistols better.

Either caliber will do the job.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm guessing you meant to say ". . .more power than the 9mm. . ." If not, you're the first person I've ever seen say the .40 has more power than the .45.

I've often heard it said the .40 is the best of both worlds. That may be true, or not, depending on how you look at it. Many say it has more power than the 9mm, and more capacity than the .45: best of both worlds.

I say it has less power than the .45 and less capacity than the 9mm: Worst of both worlds.

That said, I've owned .40s, and have no complaints about them at all. I just like my 9mm pistols better.

Either caliber will do the job.
    No, I meant what I typed. More muzzle energy AND more muzzle velocity. Yes it is a smaller load, but the projectile is smaller too. Here's a chart for you to examine.Handgun Ballistics Table

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own handguns chambered in both calibers. I prefer the 9mm for my carry gun though.

1. Higher capacity
    2. Lighter felt recoil
    3. Ammo is cheaper, which means more time behind the trigger.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    In most factory personal protection rounds the .40 is more powerful than the .45.

To the OP, I have a G27 that I carry but in the last several months I have been carrying a Beretta PX4 Storm SC in 9mm and like it a lot. I like the 13 +1 rnd capacity as well. As far as .40 or 9mm. they will both do the job and I think it's what ever you feel comfortable with, and shoot the best. Put the bullet in the right spot and they will all do the job. :)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have 2 G22's one for nightstand duty ( w/STL-900L light& laser) & one I CC ,I CC 1911 so the Glock actually is a bit lighter but lets me know where it is. I really like the 40 cal. but if you dont reload ,9mm target ammo is cheaper & there are great defense loads available for the 9 mm as well.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    As others have said, it's all about what you are comfortable with and can shoot well. Both rounds are great. I personally choose the 9 because I can it better and ammo is cheaper so I can afford to practice more.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, I meant what I typed. More muzzle energy AND more muzzle velocity. Yes it is a smaller load, but the projectile is smaller too. Here's a chart for you to examine.Handgun Ballistics Table

Most commonly used .45 ACP ammo has less muzzle energy than the most commonly used .40 loads, in the same barrel lengths.

In most factory personal protection rounds the .40 is more powerful than the .45.

As long as I've been around guns, I still learn something new every day.

thanks.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I see--it appears velocity and energy are being used as the parameters to determine "power."

Fastwally hasn't weighed in, yet, on the question, however.

Last edited:

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I see--it appears velocity and energy are being used as the parameters to determine "power."

Fastwally hasn't weighed in, yet, on the question, however.

What, you don't think I read the same charts? Take the 155gr .40 Speer Gold Dot against the 45's in this chart.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

Next your going to tell me at 7 yrds you would rather be hit with the .40 than the 45.

I don't want to turn this into a .40 vs 45 thread, I'm done.:twocents:

Last edited:

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    but if you STUDY terminal ballistics, the 45 has a HIGHER energy transfer rate, which is MUCH more important than muzzle velocity...don't jump on someone when they are correct bud....cheers

so if a 230g 45 is traveling @ 850fps vs a 165g 40 @ 990-1000, the 45 is going to deliver more felt impact and knockdown power than the 40...so yes, the 45 is a more powerful round...

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What, you don't think I read the same charts? Take the 155gr .40 Speer Gold Dot against the 45's in this chart.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

Next your going to tell me at 7 yrds you would rather be hit with the .40 than the 45.

I don't want to turn this into a .40 vs 45 thread, I'm done.:twocents:

Not at all. I was simply curious as to how you determined the .40 is more powerful than the .45

"Power" has different definitions, and even the concept of "power" varies substantially. For example, mechanical power has different definitions for both liner and rotational systems. Plus, fluid systems and electric definitions of power are different and different from both mechanical linear and rational systems.

The Speer tables you reference list velocity and energy (which is derived from velocity given a fixed mass); so, I conclude you define "power" in terms of velocity/energy.

Thanks! That is all I was asking. :)

Top Bottom