• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    My son is currently in the market for a handgun to be used for home defense. He is a big guy like myself so he could likely shoot about anything without having to worry about recoil.
    However his wife is petite and he wonders whether she would be able to comfortably shoot a .40 caliber ACP.
    The only person he currently knows who owns a handgun is me and mine are 9mm. I selected this cartridge size because I felt it was going to be something my wife could shoot and she loves it.

As I can't convince him that a 9mm Federal Premium 147gr Hydra Shock is a people stopper he wants the 40.

Is there objective data or a general rule of thumb about recoil differences of the two cartridge sizes in an ACP? If so I can take her to the range and let her shoot mine and my wife's 9's. Then she could judge whether she could handle the extra recoil.

By the way the handgun he is considering is the S&W Sigma 40ve.

Thoughts about convincing him that a 9mm can be effective?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Why not take him and his wife to a range and rent something in in 9mm and .40 to see what she can handle? .40 recoil is a bit snappy but not unmanageable, especially from a full size gun. I can't personally recommend anything smaller then .40.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    My son is currently in the market for a handgun to be used for home defense. He is a big guy like myself so he could likely shoot about anything without having to worry about recoil.
    However his wife is petite and he wonders whether she would be able to comfortably shoot a .40 caliber ACP.
    The only person he currently knows who owns a handgun is me and mine are 9mm. I selected this cartridge size because I felt it was going to be something my wife could shoot and she loves it.

As I can't convince him that a 9mm Federal Premium 147gr Hydra Shock is a people stopper he wants the 40.

Is there objective data or a general rule of thumb about recoil differences of the two cartridge sizes in an ACP? If so I can take her to the range and let her shoot mine and my wife's 9's. Then she could judge whether she could handle the extra recoil.

By the way the handgun he is considering is the S&W Sigma 40ve.

Thoughts about convincing him that a 9mm can be effective?

Can of worms opening....

I honestly don't think there would be a legitimate difference in stopping power between a 9mm Hydra Shock or .40 Hydra Shock. You either land a shot in the right place or you don't. For every test that shows massive stopping power of .40 vs. 9mm, there is a test that shows they have similar stopping power and shot placement is the key.

With that said, I think there is a noticeable difference in "muzzle flip" between 9 and .40. In fact I think .45s are easier to shoot than .40s. That's just my perception. I only own 9s and .45s (got rid of my .40s). I carry a .45 and keep one near the bed at night. However, I shoot a lot of 9mm at the range due to the low cost of ammo. I shoot a lot of .45 at the range too, but not as much.

Not trying to start any arguments. Just giving my opinion. I think I would tell him to choose something other than a Sigma in .40. Trigger is horrible and you can get a much better shooter even in that price range (for example a Bersa .40 or a Taurus maybe??). Or spend a bit more and there are a ton of better options (like the SW M&P40).

To answer your question though... I would urge him to go with a 9mm because it's arguably a good round, fun to shoot and ammo is relatively cheap.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would make sure the S&W Sigma fits her hand properly first. The grip is pretty large on that gun for a female and that would make the gun difficult to shoot as well. The .40 caliber will have more recoil than the 9mm but the extent will be determined by what gun you are shooting and ammo type.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    well, you could go outside, have him charge you, and shoot him w/ your 9. that would probably convince him.

I don't want to get shot with a .22lr either, that doesn't mean I'm going to carry it for a defensive round.

And to answer the OP, I don't really find the difference in recoil between the 9mm and a .40S&W to be all that significant. The 9mm is a lighter recoil, but it just wasn't significant enough that I would make a decision on which to carry because of it. All the research I've seen says that with modern ammunition the 9mm is going to be as effective as the .40 or .45 at stopping a person with proper shot placement. Maybe you could find some information online or in magazines to show him?

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Why not take him and his wife to a range and rent something in in 9mm and .40 to see what she can handle? .40 recoil is a bit snappy but not unmanageable, especially from a full size gun. I can't personally recommend anything smaller then .40.

I like the rent at the range idea, but we live in Ft Wayne, I am a new gun owner and have only been to the indoor range at H&H firearms. I asked them about renting something before my wife and I purchased our 9s and they said "no way".

So would we need to drive to Indy?

Where specifically?

By the way, I just handled the Sigma at Gander Mountain. It felt sweet!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I like the rent at the range idea, but we live in Ft Wayne, I am a new gun owner and have only been to the indoor range at H&H firearms. I asked them about renting something before my wife and I purchased our 9s and they said "no way".

Where specifically?

OMG run from Gander.

21st Century in Bluffton has the Sigmas in 9mm and .40 for $349 bfore the rebate ($50 or 2 free mags). They are a site supporter as well and have great service.

They also have a Bersa .40 as well. not sure on the price.

To your original qutsion most .40's would have more of a recoil from my experience. I own only 9mm and .380 but have shot several .40's.

Last edited:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy

Where specifically?

Have him go to 21st Century in Bluffton. Should be a quick drive from Fort Wayne. Check out the Bersas. The Sigmas do feel good in hand, but I'm telling you their triggers are horrendous (long and heavy).

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I live in fort wayne & If you want to arrange a meet sometime & you supply ammo & range fee(h&h range) ,Ill let you try em both out(a sig 226 9mm & a sig 229 in 40 cal also have a ruger p 94 in 40 cal ) Just puttin it out there ,kinda busy this week but let me know

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    Warning I am going to put that dreaded "G" word out there.

I was a "Glock" 40 guy. When I first took my wife out she had never shot a gun of any kind so I stared her off with my 10/22, she liked it and had fun so we move to had guns. At the time I have 2 glock 22's, a 23 and a 27 and a few revolvers. She did not like any of them. So I got lot of my friends together and she like my buddy's Full size Smith 5943. So since I have moved all my guns to 9's. I don't want a gun in the house for defense that my wife is not 100% on.

Good luck!!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Sounds like we need to have another "Let me try your .40 GTG at Roush Lake for gmviso!

I still haven't decided on one myself. Mostly due to $$$$

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I live in fort wayne & If you want to arrange a meet sometime & you supply ammo & range fee(h&h range) ,Ill let you try em both out(a sig 226 9mm & a sig 229 in 40 cal also have a ruger p 94 in 40 cal ) Just puttin it out there ,kinda busy this week but let me know

+1 Now that's a quality post and a great benefit from this forum

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I've got to put my 2 cents on this, when I was younger, I weight 210 ibs and always carried a 45 acp, I've been trained since my youth by my father, then the military and a retired FBI man in memphis, then finally IPSC. unlike a lot of people I lost weight as I got older I can't quite concel a 45 like I could before so I switched to a 40 S&W, I've always been taught that a 9mm kill shot is more luck in a panic shooting than anything else, the recoil is not that much different with a 40 vs 45 depending on ammo, but that can be from using 1911 fomat and now xd's, the recoil could be different with barrel leight, if you are talking about home protection there is nothing like a rem 870 18.5 barrel with magazine ext. and pistol grip, hold from front with heat shield, you have to remember I'm kinda old style I don't believe in lights on firearms either, I shout who are you, I've you don't answer back or start unloading it would'nt matter who you were

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    shoot a .40 caliber ACP.

all the advice above me is sound, so i wont restate the already good advice..

however i would like to clarify that its .40 SMITH AND WESSON not acp. acp stands for automatic colt pistol and is the 2 number designation typically seen after the numerics of .45... as in 45 acp.... there is no such round as a 40 acp.... not trying to knock you, just clarifying so you know. sorry if i offended you.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana

Wow! That is quite hospitable of you. I will tell my daughter-in-law and son of your offer. :patriot:

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    all the advice above me is sound, so i wont restate the already good advice..

however i would like to clarify that its .40 SMITH AND WESSON not acp. acp stands for automatic colt pistol and is the 2 number designation typically seen after the numerics of .45... as in 45 acp.... there is no such round as a 40 acp.... not trying to knock you, just clarifying so you know. sorry if i offended you.

No offense taken! I am still learning and I should have know better than to throw out an acronymn I was not certain I know. I know now.

Thank you! :patriot:

Top Bottom