• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I think I'm going to go with the 9 for now with just starting to do some competitive shooting I want cheep to practice plus down the road it gives me an excuse to get another gun. as far as HD like I said a hole is a hole and will slow them down.
    Thanks for all the info

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Explain why the Military is still using the 5.56 caliber as well as 9mm? Hell, since the .45 is a one shot man stopper, why do LEO departments not switch the the .45 caliber?
    The biggest reason law enforcement agencies don't use the .45 ACP is because officers unions demand high capacity pistols (read double-stack). Small-handed folks (read mostly women) cannot handle a large double-stack framed pistol comfortably in .45 ACP. So which calibers do the departments settle on? Why 9mm and .40 S&W, of course, with more opting for the better stopping capability of the .40 S&W. The reason the 5.56 round is still used by the military is logistics, not because it is more effective at long range or is better at shooting through a windshield and stopping a terrorist driving a car bomb then say a 7.62 NATO round. As has been stated, the NATO factor is a big reason now. With the type of ammo that the military is required to use, i.e. fmj or "ball" ammo, there is likely not a great difference in the stopping power of 9mm vs. .45 ACP, but in the law enforcement or civilian world, there are many high performing rounds out there now that widen the gap between 9mm and .45 ACP. The current premium defensive ammo available these days makes the 9mm a good choice for personal defense.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While the calibers are similier, IMO, the 40 Cal is the round that was not needed. Saying that, I will tell you, in case TSHTF any of the Military Calibers will be much easier to find than the "odd calibers" such as the the .40 or the 10mm.

Since the odds of TSHTF are lower than the odds of me winning the lottery this week, I'll tell you buy WTF you want. I'd love to have a .40 Cal and a 10mm, but it's your money not mine. You are the risk taker and not me, but I would buy a 9mm or a .45 Cal. over the "odd calibers".

Enough said,
    Vv

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While the calibers are similier, IMO, the 40 Cal is the round that was not needed. Saying that, I will tell you, in case TSHTF any of the Military Calibers will be much easier to find than the "odd calibers" such as the the .40 or the 10mm.

Since the odds of TSHTF are lower than the odds of me winning the lottery this week, I'll tell you buy WTF you want. I'd love to have a .40 Cal and a 10mm, but it's your money not mine. You are the risk taker and not me, but I would buy a 9mm or a .45 Cal. over the "odd calibers".

Enough said,
    Vv

Though I agree with your choices, I will have to disagree with the reasoning that you use to get there. The 9mm is pretty universally common, military and law enforcement both use the caliber widely. The argument for .45 over 40 S&W though is not entirely accurate. The 40 is much more common (at least in my neck of the woods) than the 45 acp in the law enforcement role. As far as the .45 acp in the military capacity, I would imagine it most likely found among top echelon operators, in such an instance I find it unlikely that the majority of us here would still be in position to worry about what calibers are easiest to forage.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I promise ANY bad guy that may EVER put me in a life or death situation involving me having to use my EDC 9mm M&P...

I assure you, you won't know the difference between a 147gr Hydra-shok JHP after it swells up in you... vs a .40 caliber round.

I'm not insulting anyone that swings off the jewels of .40 and .45 (I love my 1911's and my Glock 22 .40s&w).
    I'm just saying... a high performing personal defense 9mm round has more stopping power than some may think... Which is why I carry a 9mm almost every day with no remorse or regret.

I'll say it a million and one times..... Shot placement is key! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Both! Get the 40 and then buy a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm mags. Done! Yeah, you will spend about $160 extra, but it is worth it. I shoot 9mm for practice. I can also shoot 40 for practice too, but less often. The Storm Lake barrel will eat everything including Tula.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    9mm 147gr HST is an incredible round, as is the 147gr Range Talons. Either will about double in width upon impact, and can penetrate about 12" deep with ease. That's my favorite load, as both are only $26 per 50 box, if you find an online vendor who will allow you to buy the "LEO Only" ammo. I also use 124gr +P HST because some smaller pistols don't like the big 147gr bullet.

If I have to shoot someone they are going to die quickly, having a gaping half inch wide hole in their chest. I believe the extra penetration of the 147gr compensates for windows or walls that baddies might be behind well enough without any need for a larger caliber. If I were worried about bears though, I'd jump right to the 44 magnum.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana

Enough said,
    Vv
    why would you resurrect a thread that there have been 5 of since the last post before yours?
    11/26/2011 was the last post date.
    9 mm = winning.

Ghostdodger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    The .40 is a great compromise between the 9MM and the .45. The only problem with the .40 is if used in a Glock, the unsupported chamber causes the case to bulge near the web. If not removed, the reloaded case may not chamber properly. Redding makes a die to remove the bulge.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Both! Get the 40 and then buy a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm mags. Done! Yeah, you will spend about $160 extra, but it is worth it. I shoot 9mm for practice. I can also shoot 40 for practice too, but less often. The Storm Lake barrel will eat everything including Tula.

+1 I went this route and have not regretted it. I also prefer shooting the 40 S&W over the 9mm. The 9mm is primarily for shooting while shooting my SMG. It keeps me from having to sort brass for caliber.

Top Bottom