9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Why do you need someone else's opinion to justify your choices? (Yes, those are opinions, not proof or fact in that article.) We do what we do because we want to. Searching for justification from some "opinions" will leave your argument lacking. Simply do what you prefer and damn what anyone else thinks! Cain slew Abel with a rock, what caliber was it? :stickpoke:

Puple indicates sarcasm... :stickpoke:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Where it becomes a problem in my mind is when you practice/train/compete with a full size semi-auto and then carry a j frame.

I remember reading years ago that most people like to talk about 45's, shoot 9mm's, and carry 38's. The same may be true today, if you replace the 38 with a 380.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If I suspected someone was breaking into my dwelling, and I had a .45 on the nightstand and a 9mm right next to it, I would grab the .45 everytime. My .45 is a beast though and holds 14+1, so the "larger capacity" doesn't affect my decision at all. Currently my .45 is my home defense weapon for this reason, always in reach, I shoot and practice well with it, and even if I run out of rounds, at a 40 oz unloaded, I can still knock the intruder out with it if need be :bash: :laugh:

I like 9mm too, and have carried a 9mm since I got my LTCH. 9mm isnt a bad self defense round, I just find the heft of the .45 round comforting.
    If I was thrown into combat, hell yeah I'd prefer a .45 over a 9mm. For 99% of people, 9mm will do what .45 will do (self defense), and vice versa.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I suspected someone was breaking into my dwelling, and I had a .45 on the nightstand and a 9mm right next to it, I would grab the .45 everytime. My .45 is a beast though and holds 14+1, so the "larger capacity" doesn't affect my decision at all. Currently my .45 is my home defense weapon for this reason, always in reach, I shoot and practice well with it, and even if I run out of rounds, at a 40 oz unloaded, I can still knock the intruder out with it if need be :bash: :laugh:

I like 9mm too, and have carried a 9mm since I got my LTCH. 9mm isnt a bad self defense round, I just find the heft of the .45 round comforting.
    If I was thrown into combat, hell yeah I'd prefer a .45 over a 9mm. For 99% of people, 9mm will do what .45 will do (self defense), and vice versa.

I usually carry .45 and we keep 9mm on the nightstand. Never occurred to me to do it the other way. :cool:

Edit: My wife found the receipt for the Glock 26 I bought today. Oops! But I never had any intent to carry it. :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well put, BBI.

14 "experts" huh? It wasn't unanimous, as the author tried to say on the last page... 3 said "both" for different situations/reasons. Of the creds I could find, only one "expert" has seen combat, and one other was an LEO. So, the rest are "experts" at punching paper.

4 said "cost of ammo" so those opinions are out for me. My life is worth more expensive ammo.

7 stated that bullet technology has improved the 9... well, that same advancement in science has improved the 45. (psssst... that means the nine didn't catch up!)

Back to the "combat" "operator" "Seals use this" crap... look SpecOps fan boys, yes nines are ISSUED AS SECONDARIES to some units. But a 9mm handgun is not the only thing they carry. Do I have to type that again? We aren't talking about going to battle are we? If we are, then my choice between the 45 and 9 is the 7.62.

BBI is right, carry what you want. Carry what you can handle. If you believe in what you use, that's half the battle. At one time, I EDC'd a 32 H R Magnum for years, and never felt out gunned.

Might check your count on the vets in that article. Half of those vets were special operations too. If you don't care, that's fine, just realize your statement about their service was inaccurate.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Like the hot rodder's say...there's no replacement for displacement.

When you step on the gas, if you haven't got the bore...well, you haven't.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Magazine capacity is a non-issue, as one EDC holds 15 rnds. of 9mm, a different one holds 15 rnds. of .45, so 'same same'.

Concealability has never really been an issue, and regardless of caliber, the smaller the handgun, the bigger the compromises (mag capacity, muzzle velocity, sight radius, and so forth).

I suppose there's some difference in controlability, but that appears to be more a factor of gun design, and the abilities of the shooter. Same thing with recoil management.

Perhaps it's more psychological? :dunno:

Ultimately, it comes down to what works best for the individual in question. Their capabilities, and let's face it, their personal opinion on the matter.

What I carry, and my abilities with it, has no real relevance in your life. Same is true with the 'experts'.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    “The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”
    -Clint Smith

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think we are all missing the bigger issue with this article...Yeager wasn't on the panel. I suspect that he will soon make a video about how upset he is that he was not contacted about this...:lmfao:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    “The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”
    -Clint Smith

Oh, so you carry your rifle to walmart?

I think we are all missing the bigger issue with this article...Yeager wasn't on the panel. I suspect that he will soon make a video about how upset he is that he was not contacted about this...:lmfao:

Lolz

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

James would just confuse the issue and tell us that .40S&W is where it is at........ OK maybe not. It is interesting how .40S&W has fallen out of favor so quickly. Give Yeager some credit, at least he bashed on 40 when 40'was still cool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    James would just confuse the issue and tell us that .40S&W is where it is at........ OK maybe not. It is interesting how .40S&W has fallen out of favor so quickly. Give Yeager some credit, at least he bashed on 40 when 40'was still cool.

And I just bought a CZ in 40.......:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it is interesting that everyone now gives the 9mm the official "nod" because of capacity, yet it seems like the majority of the the 9mm carriers (based upon comments on here and FB about Shields, G43, Sig 938) carry models with 6-7 round mags... I have the same number of rounds in my P220 compact.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it is interesting that everyone now gives the 9mm the official "nod" because of capacity, yet it seems like the majority of the the 9mm carriers (based upon comments on here and FB about Shields, G43, Sig 938) carry models with 6-7 round mags... I have the same number of rounds in my P220 compact.

:popcorn:

Top Bottom