• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I know that the stopping power is greater in the 45. But I was wondering how the 45 handles/perceived recoil compared to the 9mm. The 40 I've shot was a bit snappy for me even more so than a 4in 357 revolver.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Except in a really heavy gun where the difference is negligible, I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. That being said, worry about hitting your target since that is sort of the most important thing. Never mind if the bad guys are trying to take you and you have to (hopefully not) return fire....you. will. not. notice. the. recoil.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    .45ACP isn't unpleasant to shoot at all, even alloy pistols aren't bad (full sized). Noticeably more recoil than 9mm, but It's more of a push vs. the .40 S&W's snap.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Just a few items:
    1. There is no such thing as "stopping power" in handguns. It is a myth. Additionally, handguns are inherently poor manstoppers from a physiological perspective.
    2. Bullet terminal performance and shop placement are independent. Bullet performance is a technology issue; while shot placement is a training issue. Neither affects the other.
    3. When all things are considered--wound profiles, muzzle blast, recoil, follow-up shot speed, magazine capacity, ammunition cost--there isn't a hair's difference among the 9, .40, and .45, assuming top-performing ammunition meeting all FBI terminal ballistic protocols.
    Personal preference is a key factor.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Just a few items:
    1. There is no such thing as "stopping power" in handguns. It is a myth. Additionally, handguns are inherently poor manstoppers from a physiological perspective.
    2. Bullet terminal performance and shop placement are independent. Bullet performance is a technology issue; while shot placement is a training issue. Neither affects the other.
    3. When all things are considered--wound profiles, muzzle blast, recoil, follow-up shot speed, magazine capacity, ammunition cost--there isn't a hair's difference among the 9, .40, and .45, assuming top-performing ammunition meeting all FBI terminal ballistic protocols.

This covers it exactly. :yesway:

If I'm remebering correctly the only time the 9 falls back a little is with intermediate barriers - not something I'm too concerned about.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Just a few items:

ill third that

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    ill third that
    +1 here. Caryy the biggest you can handle well. But I believe a hit with a 9mm trumps a miss with soething else when your talking hand gun rounds. Use a hand gun to fight your way to a long gun. but if thats all you got at the time. Train hard and shoot well.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Just a few items:
    + 1 its to early and I looked at some of the posts wrong. Time for more coffe.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Like barrelmaker I prefer a 45 to the 40. Snappy is a good term for the 40 and I personally don't feel that "snappy" when shooting a 45.. Where Glocks are concerned I also prefer the 45 GAP.. 9MM size pistol and 45 ballistics, best of both worlds.
    Just my:twocents:
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    Just a few items:
    Agreed. It comes down to what you shoot best. Modern 9mm are very effective and the others slightly more so. I prefer either over the .40 which I tend to have issues with follow up shots.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    There is no such thing as "stopping power" in handguns. It is a myth.

This is not 100% true.....if it is a myth then people wouldnt fall dead when shot, or fall period.

The term "stopping power" is more politically correct then say.....Knockdown power.

I have read articles from formidable companies/agencies that use the term stopping power when describing the caliber of the HG and the round they used in it.

Just sayin......

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If it's stopping power I should carry, a 12 gauge would be preferable. Might cause some concern at Kroger. My G19 and 46 rounds (at lots of practice) says the BG that goes after me is going to be carrying plenty of extra weight by the time the police show up.
    I did carry a 40 for awhile, but as previously said, the follow up shot was iffy. Have never (gasp!) shot a 45 ACP. Recently acquired a Glock 10mm that I have been practicing with but not quite there yet.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I prefer the .45 (big surprise, right?) though I do on occasion carry my 9mm Hi-power without feeling under gunned. Even with only my BUGs (380 or 38spl) I dont worry so much about the ability of the round to blow base ball sized holes through a bag guy as I do my shot placement. I think shooting a BG in the eye with a bb gun would be more effective than a load of buckshot to the pinky.

shorty348

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    I agree with him as for performance its more of what you like than as people say knock down force. You can get 10 people together and you will get 10 answers. Go with you like out of the 3.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    45fan "I think shooting a BG in the eye with a bb gun would be more effective than a load of buckshot to the pinky."

lol...i like that, and am going to steal it

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    If it is stopping power you are looking for, might I suggest the M1 in 30-06?

It stops stuff!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My brother told me a story once of an encounter in a bar when a very big dude was going to hurt someone real bad and the defender shot him in the gut with a .22. The big guy grabbed his belly and fell to his knees. Definitely took the fight out of the dude. I wouldn't endorse or suggest this kind of tactic, but it does show the equalization effect a firearm can have.

Top Bottom