• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stretch71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Chandler
    I would like to purchase a 9mm semi-auto.
    My goal is to get something that fits comfortably & then hopefully with practice be able to shoot it with some proficiency.

So far most 9mm weapons I have held at various shows & LGS all seem somewhat small. I have fairly large hands.

I had a PPQ in my hand last weekend & although it was going to be my first choice it too was somewhat short from the trigger guard to the bottom of the grip. I did not find a 9mm M&P to try at the show.

I may carry this weapon at times & my taste runs more toward a striker fired pistol.

Any suggestions ?

BTW
    My research has led me to a ranked list as follows.
    1. walther PPQ m1 (if I can find one)
    2 M&P
    3. FNS
    4. Glock 17
    5. sr9

Thanks for your input

KSW

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    CZ P-07 might work.

Its not striker fired, but the Beretta 92 is probably one of the largest 9mm offerings out there.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have large hands and share your concerns. Thickness of the grip is more important than length though. Most importantly, the trigger finger needs to rest on the trigger without poking too far through the trigger guard. It doesn't matter for accuracy whether your pinky fits on the grip or not, but you should be choking up as high as possible on the grip to gain firm control while firing.

Walther PPQ has adjustable backstraps (as does M&P), so you can probably make it thicker. Mine actually came with one extended magazine, which makes the grip longer, and while I don't care to use it, at least you know those are available if you truly desire a very long grip.

For a nice large grip, also check out Beretta 92fs and River P95, both of which I consider "full size". They aren't adjustable, but you can add something like a Hogue Universal Grip wrap to make the grip even larger (probably not necessary, but I like a chunky grip--it is more to grab on too).

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Look for a Ruger P89. Not the most accurate gun, not a range / target gun. Built like a tank, bulky and a good solid defensive handgun that can handle really hot loads.

stretch71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Chandler
    All good info.... The PPQ I handled had the medium backstrap on. It just felt odd that my little finger was pretty much not on the grip at all. I do know that there is a mag extension for the PPQ which might help. I will just have to see if any LGS gets one in.

The other suggestions are all good as well but I am really hoping to stick with poly frame & striker fired.

When I say large hands.... well perhaps I should add "freakishly"
    As in, I can snatch a regulation basketball out the air by palming it at the top of the bounce.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    All good info.... The PPQ I handled had the medium backstrap on. It just felt odd that my little finger was pretty much not on the grip at all. I do know that there is a mag extension for the PPQ which might help. I will just have to see if any LGS gets one in.

The other suggestions are all good as well but I am really hoping to stick with poly frame & striker fired.

When I say large hands.... well perhaps I should add "freakishly"
    As in, I can snatch a regulation basketball out the air by palming it at the top of the bounce.

If you can palm a basketball like that, may I suggest a deagle or some other hand cannon? Maybe a magnum BFR? Lol. Good luck. Let us know what you find. :)

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Beretta Px4 I believe is adjustable too.

Yes it is. It comes with 3 backstraps. The medium installed and the small and large in the case. It is wide as well. Many say too wide, especially for CC, though I can get away with it most of the time.

stretch, you should at least hold one. You never know, and it fits your criteria.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Yes it is. It comes with 3 backstraps. The medium installed and the small and large in the case. It is wide as well. Many say too wide, especially for CC, though I can get away with it most of the time.

stretch, you should at least hold one. You never know, and it fits your criteria.

Your handle suits you. Lol. My wifey has had her eye on them for a while, but needs to shoot one before she decides on it. It's also a bit big for us lil people to conceal it. We're both petite.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Your handle suits you. Lol. My wifey has had her eye on them for a while, but needs to shoot one before she decides on it. It's also a bit big for us lil people to conceal it. We're both petite.

There's always the compact or sub-compact. Chances are one of them will fit, just like mama, papa and baby bear. :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    On grip size alone:

Beretta 92 variant
    Ruger P89
    Sig P226

They're even bigger if you add a Hogue wraparound grip.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I have freakishly large hands as well. I too can palm a basketball off the dribble. I had a Gen 4 G17 and it fit my hands fine. I would also suggest looking at the HK USP. I have one in 45 and love it. The Sig P226 did not fit my hands as the sharp magazine plate cut into the palm of my hand. It might work if you get some mag/grip extenders, but it didn't fit well for me. A full-size 9mm 1911 also fits comfortably in my meathooks.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have large hands and share your concerns. Thickness of the grip is more important than length though. Most importantly, the trigger finger needs to rest on the trigger without poking too far through the trigger guard. It doesn't matter for accuracy whether your pinky fits on the grip or not, but you should be choking up as high as possible on the grip to gain firm control while firing.

Walther PPQ has adjustable backstraps (as does M&P), so you can probably make it thicker. Mine actually came with one extended magazine, which makes the grip longer, and while I don't care to use it, at least you know those are available if you truly desire a very long grip.

For a nice large grip, also check out Beretta 92fs and River P95, both of which I consider "full size". They aren't adjustable, but you can add something like a Hogue Universal Grip wrap to make the grip even larger (probably not necessary, but I like a chunky grip--it is more to grab on too).
    My little brother has the Taurus clone of the Beretta 92 and the really large grip is the one thing I don't like about it. His hands are smaller than mine and that might be why why he can't hit anything with it. I'm keeping it for him while he is driving. He said something about selling it.:dunno:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I know that the Walther PPQ and H&K P30 ship with different grip panels...usually small to medium are on them for display/handling purposes.

Some folks "complain" that SIG P226 models with standard grips are "too big." As someone with medium sized hands, I disagree. You may want to go fondle one though...

Good Luck!!!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Beretta 92 with Hogue finger groove grips gives a nice handfilling package.

The double stack Para has been made in 9mm a couple of times. That grip is a little bigger yet.

Top Bottom