• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I have been loading rifle ammo for quite some time but have been trying to load pistol ammo for the first time. CAN someone help me with some tips to get the small bullets seated correctly without damaging the case and bullet 20140901_124224.jpg ? Here is a picture of the problems I am having.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Be sure that the cases are either lightly chamfered or flare the case mouth. If the case is properly expander and has enough case mouth flare, you can seat a bullet on the case, push down slightly, and have a bullet that will stay in the case even you turn the case upside down.
    The flare allows the bullet to be started in the case without the case mouth scrapping the bullet or the bullet smashing the case mouth. The expansion allows the bullet to be seated without being pushed off center. Most rifle bullets have enough bevel on the base that you don't ever flare the case mouth (unless loading cast bullets). Pistol bullets seldom have enough bevel.
    I am sorry for this, but all this is covered in every reloading manual I have ever owned.

thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I mistook the expander die for the crimp die in my 3 die set. After I expanded the cases all went just fine. Thanks again.

Top Bottom