• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If my memory serves correct, the 9x23 casings were double wall to handle the higher pressures.

Yes, the brass is tougher...but, shooting it in out-of-spec chambers (.38 Super)
    has led to cracked barrel hoods and a few sheared lugs- especially in older or "dubious" quality firearms. Some of the failures have been quite energetic to say the least.

Right caliber for the firearm is a basic safety policy.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If your interested in the 9x23 check out Dane Burns website he had worked with it a lot and built quite a few 1911s chambered for it. I used to shoot it and cut down .223 brass. While I can't give u the exact spec. the case walls are stout when compared to a 38 super. And that was Winchesters intention when they started production of the 9x23. High chamber pressure but with their brass chances are slim of your blowing a case head. I used to have a diagram of a 38 sniper and a 9x23 cut in half lenghthwise side by side. Its rifle brass. I'm still a fan of the 9x23. I don't like bottleneck pistol cartridges.

+1 for Dane. He has forgotten more about the 9x23 than I'll ever know.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It's thick web brass, for sure. The .38 Super barrel in this Witness will run 9x23 as is, but I'd get a new barrel with a purpose reamed chamber if I did this. Still trying to decide if it would be worth it. The brass isn't cheap, the gun is just about as big as my Government Model 1911s are (but wider), and I'd need a new set of dies. I did go back and look at some of the comparable cartridges though, and the ballistics are still pretty compelling. Exceeds 357SIG by a comfortable margin.

NHT3 is right though, I've also been hemming and hawing about the RIA .22TCM/9mm package, so perhaps I'm just itchin' for something different.

Don't write off the 357 Sig so quick! 125gr@ 1500fps out of a 4" barrel is right there with 9x23. Winchester's numbers are out of a 5"

http://youtu.be/ughIFOrIP_w?t=2m6s

ETA: According to ballistics by the inch - that ammo out of something the size of a 1911 Gov't would get you pretty darn close to 1600fps.

This guy was getting 1550 out of the 4.4" G31 barrel.
    Go to a G35 conversion (same size as 1911 5") 5.3" barrel, and badda bing.

http://youtu.be/w1VNXQKL1uw?t=1m16s

Last edited:
    Top Bottom