A 22 type gun for my daughter to learn on.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    My 12 year old daughter had recently told me she wanted to go shooting with me. Last weekend I was at my inlaws house in Ohio and I supervised my daughter while she shot my XDm9 for the first time. She loved the experience, but she wasn't comfortable with the recoil.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of 22 rifle (or something low recoil) I should get for my daughter to use. She's shot pellet rifles before, but she wants to try something a little bigger.

She is also a little bit of a perfectionist. She's roughly 5 feet tall, and about 80 lbs.

So the top qualities I'm looking for in this rifle would be:

#1 Low recoil
    #2 Accuracy

I'm not really concerned about the cost. The time spent with her would be priceless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    how about a 10/22?

They are pretty versatile, customizable and just a blast to shoot!
    Parts will always be available and you could build her a nice rifle that she can grow up! Plus its a 10/22, it will last :D

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I would have to say a 10/22 for an autoloader. Are you going to scope it? If not you may want to check into the Tech-Sights. The stock sights on a 10/22 are pretty small.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Gander Mtn. has the Cricketts on sale for 99.99 this week. Even the pink ones. For my daughters, I bought each a Rossi combo, 22 and 410. Remove bolt from forearm and switch barrels and is a single shot. That to me helps improve accuracy as they can't just throw rounds down range and for me with a beginner, once it goes boom and they hit the bullseye and go wild and have a moment of forgetting the rules, I am still safe. I always took my Ruger and S&W semi auto handguns with us as well as a Henry lever or Rossi pump or 10/22 so they could sling some lead. Get one that fits her which means she gets to go along and see all the cool guns as well as experience the purchase. Good shooting bench then a bunch of some type of reactive targets. Man you are in for the most fun in your shooting life!!!! Congrats!!!!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    +1 on the 10/22, it can grow with her. She's 12 and would probably quickly out grow anything made for a youth. Put an adjustable stock on it, like a tapco and you can shoot it also. Like was said before, a ruger 10/22 will last forever, so she can pass it on to her kids along with the stories of shooting with you.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm a fan of bolt action or lever action for the first rifle. I think it is good early on to reinforce hitting the target and going slower. While the 10/22 is fun, it is easy to just spray and pray, without learning to hit targets. Maybe I'm just showing bias from my first bolt action .22 that I always tried to shoot good enough with it to get squirrels. The 5 round mag seemed plenty.

Then when that was stolen, I didn't feel bad using my Youth Achiever Anschutz that replaced it, even if it was a single shot rifle.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CZ 452 Scout.

cz_452_scout.jpg

CZ-USA -> CZ 452 Scout

I have purchased these for all my nephews, liked them so well that I purchased one for Uncle Kirk.:cool:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    Im going with the majority 10/22 its a gon you can customize to fit her fir years to come and if you want to go bigger a stevens savage in .223 low recoil inexpencive and you can ghoot ground hogs on up to coyotes ,even take her prairie dog hunting

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My 11 year old daughter uses a Marlin 795SS semi-auto. It is a carbine and a little shorter for the butt stock so it fits her arms better. tack driver to boot

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I would say to pick the type of action you want and go from there-i started my daughter and grandkids on single shot bolt actions to get used to the safety factor and as they got profecient with it and ready to upgrade,i let them make the decisiion on type of action and gun they wanted.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Browning Mini Bolt, Savage Cub, or if you can find one an Ithaca 49.

Last edited:

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will make sure to post some pics when we go out for the first shoot with the new gun.

Probably this weekend or next we're going to go and let her put her hands on some and see how they feel to her, then we'll make our decision from there.

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    My 12 year old daughter learned to shoot with a Marlin .22 LR, fit was good for her. Now that she is pushing 15 it may be time to step her up to a little more.

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Affordable, Accurate Plinker

It would be hard to beat a Savage Mark II in .22 LR with an Accu-Trigger for value, safety, accuracy and fun for a new shooter. I like the BTV but that is not for everyone.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    start um young

cricket or chipmonk they even come in pink, bought my oldest son one when he was 8 all 3 kids have now used the gun .I put a scope on it later and some times I even hunt tree rats with it(blk not pnk)
    My 12 year old daughter had recently told me she wanted to go shooting with me. Last weekend I was at my inlaws house in Ohio and I supervised my daughter while she shot my XDm9 for the first time. She loved the experience, but she wasn't comfortable with the recoil.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of 22 rifle (or something low recoil) I should get for my daughter to use. She's shot pellet rifles before, but she wants to try something a little bigger.

She is also a little bit of a perfectionist. She's roughly 5 feet tall, and about 80 lbs.

So the top qualities I'm looking for in this rifle would be:

#1 Low recoil
    #2 Accuracy

I'm not really concerned about the cost. The time spent with her would be priceless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    There is a lot to be said for youth guns and winter clothing. Less hang ups and catches on clothing if you are going to shoot year round in Indiana. My daughters still use their H&R Snake Tamer 410's when we rabbit hunt as the shorter stock fits great with a winter coat even though they are 21 and 22 years old now.
    Also forgot to add, when they start to outgrow or you feel safe with them shooting more than one round at a time, going to the store for another gun is part of the equation of being a gun owner/nut isn't it???

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom