• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    My dad and I have recently gotten back into shotgun targets. He used to shoot a lot of trap when I was a kid and reloaded his own shells. He got rid of his reloading equipment a long time ago.

I thought what a great hobby for he and I to get into in addition to the clays.

I don't know that much about what an alright press would be or what other equipment I should consider to buy.

We target shoot with the 12 gauge, but we all own all the different gauges........except 10. We primarily use lead shot, but would like the ability to load steel if needed. We both have a decent size area that we could use to set up the press.......dry and well lit.

Am trying to get my brother on board so we can set him with a good basic press and probably a battery powered trap too. He will enjoy it. Merry Christmas Pop...........you're responsible for my love of shooting ........and my affinity for Brownings.

Any help from the group is appreciated.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Shotshell presses have really shot up in price since I purchased mine, but if you're looking for a progressive, if I had to do it all over I'd probably just get something like a MEC Grabber. You said you're shooting targets mostly with the 12, so I'm guessing caliber interchangeability isn't a concern (honestly, most mult-gauge clay shooters have multiple presses, each set up for a different gauge...the changeovers are much more difficult than on a metallic press, as crazy as that sounds). I have two Ponsness Warrens, a Hornady 366, couple MECs, but I really believe you can't beat the MEC in the lower and medium price range. The Hornady 366 is a great press also, but are now hard to find and have doubled in price since I bought mine. The MEC single stages always work and are durable as heck.

Of course, if you're financially able to get something like a Spolar, etc. go for it. There are a lot of high-end machines out there but I'm guessing you guys don't want to plunge into that right away. One consideration is do you shoot autoloaders? If so, the quality of the resizing is more important for feeding. If you shoot break open guns, your shells don't have to be sized/taper crimped quite so perfectly.

Good luck with your purchase. You're doing a great thing to pay back your Dad and he sounds like he raised some excellent sons!

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Shotshell presses have really shot up in price since I purchased mine, but if you're looking for a progressive, if I had to do it all over I'd probably just get something like a MEC Grabber. You said you're shooting targets mostly with the 12, so I'm guessing caliber interchangeability isn't a concern (honestly, most mult-gauge clay shooters have multiple presses, each set up for a different gauge...the changeovers are much more difficult than on a metallic press, as crazy as that sounds). I have two Ponsness Warrens, a Hornady 366, couple MECs, but I really believe you can't beat the MEC in the lower and medium price range. The Hornady 366 is a great press also, but are now hard to find and have doubled in price since I bought mine. The MEC single stages always work and are durable as heck.

Of course, if you're financially able to get something like a Spolar, etc. go for it. There are a lot of high-end machines out there but I'm guessing you guys don't want to plunge into that right away. One consideration is do you shoot autoloaders? If so, the quality of the resizing is more important for feeding. If you shoot break open guns, your shells don't have to be sized/taper crimped quite so perfectly.

Good luck with your purchase. You're doing a great thing to pay back your Dad and he sounds like he raised some excellent sons!

I don't know about the excellent sons, but I know my dad loves to shoot, hunt, handle guns, go to shows, buy, sell and trade. I also know if someone doesn't poke him a bit to get him going then he doesnt really shoot much anymore. I can honestly say that growing up I don't ever remember him missing a dove or a rabbit. I think that's part of it, as he has gotten older his eyesight isn't what it used to be and doesn't like to miss. However, last weekend we went dove hunting and he had his limit in 45 minutes........13 shots, 12 doves. He whips my butt at trap. He's breaking around 23 or so every time......if I could get the full choke out of his hands he'd run the table from the 16.

As far as the reloaders go, I was thinking a single stage kind of like the MEC Size Master might be the ticket. I've heard it does a nice job of resizing the brass or steel if you will too. My dad uses and 870 for trap and if I can ever get him on sporting clays, he would probably use his 1100. For hunting its a 1960 Browning A5 Light 12.......I've never seen a shell that gun wouldn't cycle. For me, I have an o/u that I'm using for the clay games.....I have a BPS Trap, but that has been relegated to the safe since I got the o/u. I do hunt with a finicky autoloader though.

I agree that we don't want to plunge into the high end stuff.......if we can reload 4 boxes in an hour that's plenty.......we don't need a production line. Of course we want to reload our shells, but the primary purpose in my mind was to have an activity for those rainy or cold days when we don't get out to shoot.......kind of an excuse to sneak off and visit for a bit.

Again, thank you for your input......I appreciate your response.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The MEC sizemaster sounds like a good choice for your use. The collet sizer works great on brass and steel based hulls. I consider collet type resizing a MUST for shells that need to cycle through a semi auto. Four boxes an hour is easy on a single load MEC press. The biggest difference in loading for steel shot is the charge bar and wads. (and powder charge) Shotgun presses are not like single station metallic cartridge presses, in that it is difficult, time consuming and not really cost effective to change calibers. It is best to have a whole set up press for each gauge you are reloading.

MEC presses hold up really well. I bought my 12 gauge MEC grabber progressive from a guy that shot 20,000 shells per year in registered competition. After he used it for about 15 years, he sold it to me when he upgraded to the hydraulic pump version. I put 10,000 plus through it for 10 years. Other than a couple springs, some wad guides, a couple plastic bottles and a crimp starter, nothing needed replaced. Those parts are cheap, so it 25 years, the press needed less than $50.00 worth of wear parts replaced. No too bad.

Last edited:

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    The MEC sizemaster sounds like a good choice for your use. The collet sizer works great on brass and steel based hulls. I consider collet type resizing a MUST for shells that need to cycle through a semi auto.

Good deal. They look to be had for around $250......the 12 gauge comes stock with 1 1/8oz charge bar and three powder die. Probably need to buy a 1 oz charge bar......possibly a 7/8......don't think I need a 1 1/4. For shotguns, we're Red Dot fans so I'll have to check which dies are recommended and which ones come with.

He'll be pretty excited I'm sure.....yep, I think the MEC size master is the ticket too.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sounds like a great gift. I am sure he will be happy and it will get plenty of use.

Powder bushings for the MEC are less money than most other brands. ....another benefit of the MEC machines. MEC has a chart that tells which number bushing you need for the proper Red Dot powder charges. It has been so long since I used red dot that I forgot which bushing I used.

I only use the 1-1/8 and the 1 oz bars for 12 gauge. When you are ordering, remember that their are two different red colored charge bars for MEC products, be sure to get the right one for the Sizemaster. The red charge bars are calibrated for lead shot, the black ones are calibrated for steel shot.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I had a MEC sizemaster and it is very easy to learn and to use. It is also very forgiving of a new reloader. I have since upgraded to a MEC 9000, but I kept my sizemaster to use as a backup and to correct mistakes I make on the 9000.

Sizemaster is a good choice and will last a very long time. MEC's customer service is outstanding.

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a MEC sizemaster and it is very easy to learn and to use. It is also very forgiving of a new reloader. I have since upgraded to a MEC 9000, but I kept my sizemaster to use as a backup and to correct mistakes I make on the 9000.

Sizemaster is a good choice and will last a very long time. MEC's customer service is outstanding.

i agree.....for the number of shells we will be loading I think it will be a good one. I saw one of these loaders the other day it looked pretty sturdy.

Top Bottom