A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Welcome to the MP world. I have had mine since June (MP Pro 9mm, 5")...and I have around 2400 flawless rounds down the pipe so far. It seems to eat almost everything (though I find the Federal cheap ammo very dirty and smokey).

Just for kicks last week, I shot a 1911 .45, then picked up my MP.....and realized just how much I love shooting it.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    You made the right choice, not necessarily by choosing the M&P, but by going with what you shoot better with regardless of brand. Now I need to get an M&P and see if I shoot better with one.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Some M&P 9c love! :D

cf20207c.jpg

b7a852da.jpg

9dc53f36.jpg

And with my Glock 19.
    1380e75b.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just curious, why does the grass grow better behind where you are shooting? Is it the frequent aeration? Sulfur deposition from powder residue? Dangerously low lead levels in the surrounding grass leading to anemic growth?

Very astute observation!

During NFA Day 2011 that area was hit with thousands of rounds of .308 spit out by a Browning 1919. It dug a sizable hole into the side of the dam. lovemywoods repacked it with dirt and had recently reseeded it. What you are seeing is simply new grass growth.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rDGcxelIs&feature=related[/ame]

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Very astute observation!

During NFA Day 2011 that area was hit with thousands of rounds of .308 spit out by a Browning 1919. It dug a sizable hole into the side of the dam. lovemywoods repacked it with dirt and had recently reseeded it. What you are seeing is simply new grass growth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rDGcxelIs&feature=related

I watched an episode of sons of guns the other day and they made a browning 1919 into a shoulder fired weapon...it was ridiculous i think the thing weighed about 35 lbs when they were done with it haha

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I appreciate the . . . um. . . support? :D

I run a pretty basic system, but I can certainly shoot you a PM ahead of time before the items hit the Classifieds.

Yeah, that was my question too. Glad you like the M&P, how much for the stuff? :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have both and actually enjoy shooting the 9mm M&P over the Glock 17/19 but the Glock 21 has the M&P45 beat in just about every category except maybe looks. I get a bit of slide bite on the webbing of my hands when shooting my 9mm Glocks and the beaver tail or tang on the frame of the M&P lets me get a really aggressive grip on it without worrying about that. I don't have that problem at all with my larger framed Glocks and actually like the bigger grip on the G21 over the M&P45.

I have had more issues with the M&P than my Glocks, though. My M&P9 Pro was sent to Smith twice for rusting on the slide. I'd shoot it or wear it for a few hours and the gun would have rust all over it. This slide it wears now seems to have that problem beat though, thankfully. I do find that I will short-stroke the trigger on my M&P9; it seems the Glocks have a shorter pull or reset than the M&P but shooting one exclusively for any period of time will work that out. My other issue is with the M&P and the 'auto forward' or the releasing of the slide after inserting a loaded magazine. More than half the time the slide release but fails to chamber a round. I'm using all factory M&P mags and it's done it to me just on the static firing line while practicing, during IDPA matches and during some pistol fighting courses.

Overall they are both great pistols, 2 of the best out there no matter the price range. It's good that you made a solid decision based on your likes and didn't follow the ravings on some dedicated web forum.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Excellent report!

You made a personal choice based on your own personal wants, and needs, and came to a well thought out decision. For this, I award you 100 internets!

While I am too vested in the Glock platform to make a complete change in handguns, I did buy an M&P45 when they were first introduced. The gun performed perfectly and felt great, but I had issues getting spare mags, holsters and good sights, and at the time those issues didn't seem to be changing for the better anytime soon. So I sold it.

I am confident that your decision will work out for you.

Good work.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Glock makes a good pistol, but there are better choices out there. I have discovered that long time ago. Unfortunately most Glock owners keep drinking the kool-aid and refuse to open their eyes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Unfortunately most Glock owners keep drinking the kool-aid and refuse to open their eyes.

I resented the fact that many folks view Glock owners as blind sheep that are simply buying into hype. It just isn't true. Glocks are fantastic hard-use tools that have proven themselves time and time again. Many folks are quite effective with them.

I stayed with them so long because, despite the grip not being optimized for my hands, no other pistol could touch them where it really counts-- reliability and simplicity. I wouldn't have jumped ship if the M&P didn't have the reputation it does now.

Unfortunately Glock has stayed somewhat stagnate in this fiercely competitive market. They've rested on their reputation too long and haven't been as innovative with new products as other companies have. I believe this has and will continue to cost them in the LE market, the training market, and now the esrice market.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I resented the fact that many folks view Glock owners as blind sheep that are simply buying into hype. It just isn't true. Glocks are fantastic hard-use tools that have proven themselves time and time again. Many folks are quite effective with them.

I appreciate you saying that, esrice; nothing gets me more than everybody associating the 'fanboy' title with anybody that chooses to use a Glock. I'm not wealthy but I can choose to shoot anything that I want. Of the rounds I've put downrange in all my weapons only my Glocks have had few if any issues. I can absolutely depend on them, something that I haven't been able to say about some of my other guns. Not everybody is a mindless sheep or drunk on the Kool Aid.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I appreciate you saying that, esrice; nothing gets me more than everybody associating the 'fanboy' title with anybody that chooses to use a Glock. I'm not wealthy but I can choose to shoot anything that I want. Of the rounds I've put downrange in all my weapons only my Glocks have had few if any issues. I can absolutely depend on them, something that I haven't been able to say about some of my other guns. Not everybody is a mindless sheep or drunk on the Kool Aid.

You just said that because he said that. ;)

Top Bottom