• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McGraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Brockton
    The new ones just have a Swiss folding stock like the picture a few posts back. The old folder was also colapsible. This is my first choice to keep it original. The DDLES adapter is used to put an M4 stock on it. The adapter looks to keep the stock fairly straight. My problem is I am tall and the stock is to short so I am looking for options to fix the length of pull.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Get a Saiga and convert it. They are relatively cheap (or they were) and I believe that the barrels are cold hammer forged and chrome lined.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    A Yugo M70 with a chrome lined barrel is the best deal on a 7.62x39 right now.
    The Yugo is built on a heavier duty frame and is solid as a rock.
    These can be had new for $5-$600 bucks.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    A Yugo M70 with a chrome lined barrel is the best deal on a 7.62x39 right now.
    The Yugo is built on a heavier duty frame and is solid as a rock.
    These can be had new for $5-$600 bucks.

Are the barrels US made or original? To my understanding the us made barrels aren't as good a quality as the original military barrels.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    To my knowledge, the only rifles to leave Zastava with chrome lined barrels are the M21's. Internet rumors on why they don't chrome line them range all over the place. Some say they didn't have access to chrome (although those ugly Yugo cars seemed to have some). Others say the Serbians thought it was unnecessary. If given the option however, I'll take chrome lined every time.

For me, the problem with American barrels is not always a quality issue. I would just rather have the original as well as factory receiver. Many of the problems associated with American AK's (canted sights , canted gas blocks, loose rivets, crappy barrels, etc...) are due to them being pieced together with US parts (to meet import restrictions) and used surplus stuff from de-milled parts guns. The fact that they still run so reliably is testament to just how great the rifle design is. The difference in quality between a CAI build VS Arsenal or VEPR is like night and day IMO.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a CZ 527 carbine in that caliber. It will shoot groups of an inch and a half with steel wolf ammo. It's bolt action, though. Still one of my favorite rifles. It's a pure pleasure just to pick it up.

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Are the barrels US made or original? To my understanding the us made barrels aren't as good a quality as the original military barrels.
    The Yugo I have is an underfolder, I think it's an AB model, it has the thick Zastava receiver and the original chrome lined barrel. It is not a pieced together CAI type gun.
    It's not as accurate as my Saiga but the Saiga has a longer barrel.
    My AMD-65 has an original chrome lined real short barrel and it is very accurate.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I like my SKS. The trading post just north of Athens, Ohio had racks of em for $300 last time I was through there couple of months ago. Hoping to build an AK in the future after I catch up on some of the other projects!
    Cheers

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    The MGI hydra. It has a modular AR lower that has a mag well that takes AK47 magazines and an enhanced bolt/firing pin combo. Great guns and come in every calibre from .22-458 socom. even have .308 on a regular ar lower. but it takes the 7.62x39 in its natural magazine eliminating the old AR15 frankenmags that feed poorly. Ive never had trouble with mine and i feed it some pretty nasty stuff. Plus you get all the modern amenities such as full length rails for all your tacti-cool stuff. a drop free magazine with a simple push of the AR style mag release, and a better ergonomic set up than the old AK. Dont get me wrong..i own several arsenals...i love my ak...but when you just have to have something a little better and easier to modify and use...cant beat the MGI Hydra.
    P.S. my hydra is for sale...i found a new toy...

Brick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    To my knowledge, the only rifles to leave Zastava with chrome lined barrels are the M21's. Internet rumors on why they don't chrome line them range all over the place. Some say they didn't have access to chrome (although those ugly Yugo cars seemed to have some). Others say the Serbians thought it was unnecessary. If given the option however, I'll take chrome lined every time.

For me, the problem with American barrels is not always a quality issue. I would just rather have the original as well as factory receiver. Many of the problems associated with American AK's (canted sights , canted gas blocks, loose rivets, crappy barrels, etc...) are due to them being pieced together with US parts (to meet import restrictions) and used surplus stuff from de-milled parts guns. The fact that they still run so reliably is testament to just how great the rifle design is. The difference in quality between a CAI build VS Arsenal or VEPR is like night and day IMO.

Zastava M-95 parts kits have chrome lined 1/7 twist bores.

Many of the problems associated with American AK's (canted sights , canted gas blocks, loose rivets, crappy barrels, etc...) are due to them being pieced together with US parts (to meet import restrictions) and used surplus stuff from de-milled parts guns.

No, thats mostly due to **** poor building practices by some here in the US.

Brick

Brick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Fort Wayne

That can depend on who made the barrel. A few US manufacturers make a very good AK barrel, but there are lots of cheap soft crap barrels flooding the market right now. Yugo made 7.62x39 barrels are not chrome lined and here is a shocker for some, NOT hammer forged. Aside from some soft US made barrels, they are the softest factory AK barrels I have ever run across. Have you ever wondered why the Yugo barrels suffer from galling so badly when pressed apart?

Brick

Top Bottom