• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I spent the day reloading my first ammo today. Took the reloading class at Profire back in early January and just recently acquired all the components to reload my own 9mm. I used mixed brass I have saved up over time and have several cases already resized, deprimed, and new primers installed while I tried to get my hands on some bullets. I picked up some HS-6 from profire a couple weeks ago and got some Xtreme plated 124gn RN bullets yesterday.

Looking at the Hogdon load data for 125gn lead bullets it said to start at 5.9gns with a max of 6.6gn. Since I was using plated I decided to start at 6.1gn. I loaded 54 cases, 9 each of 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, and 6.6. I loaded 9 because thats the magizine size of my gun. I then headed to the range and fired them to see how they worked and which mixture was best for my gun.

Here are the results (I am not a sharp shooter)

6.1gn

6.2gn

6.3gn

6.4gn

6.5gn

6.6gn

This was a pretty cool process. Amazing to see how the bullets performed at different grains as Andrew taught in the class. You can see at 6.1 and 6.6 that the group is spread quite a bit from hi to low. While I hit the bullseye more with 6.3, I decided the best load for my gun was 6.4 as the group was the tightest.

After doing this process I decided the most difficult part of reloading is getting the powder measure set to charge the correct amount of powder for your loads. Its not bad once you find the charge for your loads as you can set it and load all day, but when you testing and trying to change it every 9 rounds its a pain.

Anyway, thought I would share and maybe some other noob to reloading will find this helpful in the future.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Reloading brought a new level of shooting enjoyment for me. Not only do I like the actual reloading part, I like testing/tuning the loads. On top of all that, you save money too! Welcome to reloading.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    ....Its not bad once you find the charge for your loads as you can set it and load all day, but when you testing and trying to change it every 9 rounds its a pain.

Anyway, thought I would share and maybe some other noob to reloading will find this helpful in the future.

Watching your own reloads perform the first time is almost magic. "WOW...I hit the paper, and nothing blew up".:D

I recommend getting a powder trickler (~$15) for measuring incremental "step up" loads. Saves time and will come in handy when you start reloading for rifles.

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    Man all this talking makes me want to try n strt to reload. I'd have no room at my house for a little shop but could set up shop in my dads barn in mooresville :-)

JaySoSaySo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Camby
    Making me want to reload as well! I was a machinist in TX for quite a few years, so I am sure I wouldn't have any issues with the process - more-so just finding what I need. If I can't buy any ammo - I might as well reload it!

:draw:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What a great series of pictures, showing how the right ammo combination CAN make a difference in the accuracy of even a handgun.

Do the same experiment with a quality rifle and results are even more obvious. :)

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Looks like your pistol is liking the 6.3 and 6.4 grn loads. How far away were you shooting?

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Watching your own reloads perform the first time is almost magic. "WOW...I hit the paper, and nothing blew up".:D

I recommend getting a powder trickler (~$15) for measuring incremental "step up" loads. Saves time and will come in handy when you start reloading for rifles.

I don't have any rifles to reload for, but who knows what the future might bring.

I will pick up a trickler in the future, just wasn't in the cards at this moment with the amount of money I dropped just getting the initial equipment.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I like using hs6 powder because it flows so well out of my hornady measure. I also think it seems to burn cleaner when you start to get near the max load. If you load 38 special try hs6 with 110gr jhp because you can push them pretty fast with it and with 110gr bullets you have very little recoil out of small revolvers.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    What a great series of pictures, showing how the right ammo combination CAN make a difference in the accuracy of even a handgun.

Do the same experiment with a quality rifle and results are even more obvious. :)

Makes you realize you never really know what to expect with factory ammo off the shelf. Might work great in your gun and terrible in mine. I like the fact that now I know I have a good round for my gun, now I just need to practice more and make myself a better shooter.

Looks like your pistol is liking the 6.3 and 6.4 grn loads. How far away were you shooting?

I actually thought 6.3, 6.4, and 6.5 were decent. Thats also why I went with 6.4 because then if the powder measure throws just a tad more or less I still have a decent round.

I was probably around 10 yards.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Reloading brought a new level of shooting enjoyment for me. Not only do I like the actual reloading part, I like testing/tuning the loads. On top of all that, you save money too! Welcome to reloading.

I completely agree. I just recently got into reloading and I can't belive how much fun it is. I spent an hour at the range recently just picking up brass in the rain!

Top Bottom