• esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow. Just WOW.

A few thoughts:

I was surprised at how strongly he felt in his gut to not go where his "friend" wanted him to go. It was only after finally denying this feeling that he was assaulted.

His description of looking down at his mangled arm was interesting. Its a reminder that your brain is the last to find out that your body was shot. It was also interesting that when things slowed down he had time to make some very conscious decisions on whether or not to live or die.

Not to belittle his injuries, but he's lucky the would-be killer used birdshot.

Where was the shotgun? Was it in the bushes? Because otherwise the friend must've carried it with him while he got the ride.

What kind of parents don't notice when their 17-year-old kid is missing for 3 days???

His attitude during recovery was amazing. He spoke as if it was no big deal reverting back to infant-like movements and having to re-learn everything. So many in his shoes would be completely blinded by rage and revenge.

The fact that this all happened for a gang initiation is sickening. People's desire to be part of something bigger is apparently too overwhelming for some to handle. Such stalking and pre-meditation should've gotten the degenerate more than 35 years in prison.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I actually started reading that last night. I've already finished chapter four and found this video to be extremely relevant to the reading I've done.

Ignore the anti-gun BS that DeBecker likes to throw in. The rest of the book is very worth while.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Ignore the anti-gun BS that DeBecker likes to throw in. The rest of the book is very worth while.

I was well warned about it due to reading so many reviews on the book, both on here and other websites (mainly Amazon). So far very good info in it though.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The kid was resilent and did not give up after being shot. Other than that he has not done much right, but it has been enough to keep him alive.

He was not aware of the danger he faced, and igorned his gut feelings that he should not be in that area.

He was just a target left for dead and not in a gunfight at all. A great lesson on being armed all the time.

He does serve as a great example to others on what what not to do.

If my son is missing for three days I am going to be out looking for him and not washing out the garage. Call it a cultural difference.

I would hesitate to call this an example of mindset. I look at this as an example of survival despite mindset not being present. Ross seems to have had some tragic events befall him and it was not his time.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    This kid is lucky and this seems to have changed his life forever.
    The lessons that I take from this are
    If you're not supposed to be somewhere ,don't go.
    If you have to go,go well heeled.
    I have grown children and if my wife hasn't heard from them for three days(I don't like to text and they don't like to talk) I will be actively looking for them.
    The world does not have a short supply of idiots and just because this kid got lucky,what should have been a death penalty was shortened to 35 years. that is really sad.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wow. Came across this older thread today and watched the video.

Looks like birdshot on the x-ray at 3:32.

Tough kid regardless.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Amazing strength not to give up.

This kid had a very strong will to live. :rockwoot:
    It could have been easier for him to lay down and die.

Last edited:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The real lesson here is parents should screen their kids friends.

Parenting is tough, especially when your kids won't cooperate, but making sure they don't hang around the wrong element helps keep them safe.

Although I'm not 100% sure this kid wasn't the wrong element himself.

Top Bottom