A little demo, why it is frowned upon to shoot over water.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is a cool video of the effect of water on that path.

Ummm, you do realize that that bullet is hitting the water and the riccing off into who knows where?

Water does not generate some magic force field on a bullet.:D

Shooting over water has no impact on the bullet. It is when bullets impact the water that water has an effect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Many years ago a young man was killed 1/4 mile from my home by a friend, they were shooting frogs from opposite sides of a pond, sad but true

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    One of our neighbors S-I-L emptied his ML toward the pond a couple of years ago, the shot ric'ed off and hit on of his dogs and killed it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    8mmx57mm tracers will skip off water hit the bank go about a 100ft threw the dirty and get up and go who knows where!!!!....had a 3 acre pond.....we shot about 1k the same way w/o tracers......after firin' the tracers we stopped doin' that....sounds like in the vid the ol'boy firin' an AK....

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    You ever skip rocks on a creek or pond? THEY skip...

:D

Rocks aren't moving 3000fps though.

I don't see how it matters a whole lot. Even if the bullet comes apart and 20 grains go underwater and 20 grains go off into the woods, getting hit in the face with even 20 grains would be a problem.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've skipped round rocks. Well, more oval-like.

And I could swear I've seen a show (discovery channel?) where they skipped a car.

Mythbusters did a sequence where they tried to re-create the Lamborghini (sp) skipping across a pond in the movie "Speedzone". I think they used a Fiero. Can't remember for sure, but I think they got it to skip

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Mythbusters did a sequence where they tried to re-create the Lamborghini (sp) skipping across a pond in the movie "Speedzone". I think they used a Fiero. Can't remember for sure, but I think they got it to skip

Fiero: Yes.
    Skipped: Yes.

Pretty spectacular to watch actually.

For the skeptic, try this:
    Find a pond or pool or really any amount of water with a couple inches depth (bathtub will do in a pinch). You need enough depth so that you don't immediately hit the bottom of the "container."
    Make your hand flat (stretch your fingers straight out).
    Lower it slowly into the water. Notice there is not much resistance.
    Now SMACK the surface of the water. It will probably sting. Same rules apply to the bullet, the faster it goes, the more "resistance" the water will give, and with a shallow enough trajectory you can bet that the bullet will bounce right off and disappear into the unknown.

Heck, re-entering spaceships have to be careful about the angle they hit the atmosphere or risk bouncing off the AIR and back into space. (And that's air, not water!)

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Yep. That's the random effect of a ricochet, alright. Now is there anything special about a ricochet off of water, or any other smooth, flat surface?

Buckshot and the other projectiles that we've tried over the years have all ricocheted in a straight line. We have skipped rounds off of concrete, police car trunks, and other smooth, flat surfaces. I've never seen or heard of rounds ricocheting at an angle like this. This is pretty cool.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Buckshot and the other projectiles that we've tried over the years have all ricocheted in a straight line. We have skipped rounds off of concrete, police car trunks, and other smooth, flat surfaces. I've never seen or heard of rounds ricocheting at an angle like this. This is pretty cool.
    That makes sense though, buckshot and other projectiles from a typical shotgun barrel have no spin. I would assume that smoothbore black powder weapons would behave the same way, and the spin from the rifling is what is kicking the round off in a particular direction.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom