A painful reminder of tree stand safety.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've been a proponent of tree stand safety for a number of years. I ALWAYS wear my harness and ALWAYS hang lifelines. I also ALWAYS tie off while working on hanging a set. That said, today I screwed up. I'm not afraid to admit a mistake. This was a mistake.

My hunting partner and I were hanging stands this morning just like we do every August. We get to a tree we have hung in the last couple years. As a time saver, we have got into the habit of leaving screw in steps between seasons. This cuts down on work and also helps you find the exact tree you were in the previous season. The steps (4) in this tree were the foldable kind. They screw in easily and are more compact than their behemoth brothers. Due to tree growth these steps had angles upward at an uncomfortable angle. What was my solution? Turn them out a turn to level them (I knew better). Harness on, I start up the steps to hang the ladder stick sections and the stand. I'll tie off when I get to the top step. It's only 8-10 ft up. No big deal. I hit the third step and it came out of the tree (remember I just unscrewed it a turn). Down I went from 6-7'. I fell at a funny angle and couldn't get my feet under me. My left foot hit the ground with 230 lbs behind it. POP goes the ankle.

A few ex rays and a few hours later its NOT broken. But I won't be hanging stands for a few weeks by my guess. Heck I can barely hobble around without crutches!!!!!!

So, here I am typing a friendly reminder on ingo when I should be out hanging stands!

People WEAR YOUR SAFTEY GEAR EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET OFF THE GROUND!!!!

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yep... that is what screw ins do..

Climbing sticks is the only way to go and have that full body harness on and tied off all the way up, in the stand, and all the way back down.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    And that's what I preach. Too bad I don't listen to my own advice! On a positive note this is one more reason to hang stands early....I fully expect to be back 100% by sep 15th.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I love screw in steps, but use the EZY brand ;)

Climbing sticks can loosen and creak after the trees blows around a little, noisy when under load going in (when trying to be silent). PITA carrying in too.

Tree steps? Quiet.

This event was not the fault of the screw in steps, the operator used them incorrectly.

All steps must be fully inserted and at proper angle. Also, putting different screw profiles in holes made by other steps can be dangerous.
    My guess is that these things are covered in the directions.

Not slamming the OP, but rather addressing how some folks think screw in steps are dangerous by design.

Good ones, used properly, are not.

And if it matters, I weigh less than 200 lbs, so may not stress things as others might.

Glad the OP is gonna be OK.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like my climbing summit tree stand very much but their are times when i seem to have to hunt for trees instead of deer.

This year I have to hang a ladder stand on a tree with major thorns in it. That is going to be no fun. Great place for a southwest wind and the only cover around.

Top Bottom