• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It seems like much of what we consider politics nowadays also implicates science. Just here on INGO, we have various studies on the topics of gun control and self defense(naturally), global warning, and vaccinations. I thought it might be interesting for some people here to get some insight into what "peer review" looks like. In doing so, it may help understand why peer review, when done correctly, can be so important.

So, in the ebola thread, I stumbled upon an article submission to an online journal "eLife" related to the spread of the virus. It looks like eLife is trying to be a reputable online journal (which can be difficult, no doubt). Credit to them, they've posted an edited version of the submission and response to a proposed article.
    Mapping the zoonotic niche of Ebola virus disease in Africa | eLife

Particularly important is the feedback, in my opinion.

Anyway, people interested in why certain sources are better than others, this may be enlightening.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It seems like much of what we consider politics nowadays also implicates science. Just here on INGO, we have various studies on the topics of gun control and self defense(naturally), global warning, and vaccinations. I thought it might be interesting for some people here to get some insight into what "peer review" looks like. In doing so, it may help understand why peer review, when done correctly, can be so important.

So, in the ebola thread, I stumbled upon an article submission to an online journal "eLife" related to the spread of the virus. It looks like eLife is trying to be a reputable online journal (which can be difficult, no doubt). Credit to them, they've posted an edited version of the submission and response to a proposed article.
    Mapping the zoonotic niche of Ebola virus disease in Africa | eLife

Particularly important is the feedback, in my opinion.

Anyway, people interested in why certain sources are better than others, this may be enlightening.

That's crazy, i'm a reviewer for two journals and i've neve seen up to eight reviewers for a single manuscript.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, ok, they went kinda overboard on that. But, on the other hand, they're trying to build credibility. Plus, that's a niche of a niche kinda study! Topical, for sure, but I think it would be hard to get just 2 or 3 reviewers that knew the whole scope of the original manuscript.

Looked like some good feedback, though.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah, ok, they went kinda overboard on that. But, on the other hand, they're trying to build credibility. Plus, that's a niche of a niche kinda study! Topical, for sure, but I think it would be hard to get just 2 or 3 reviewers that knew the whole scope of the original manuscript.

Looked like some good feedback, though.

I'd have to agree on all points.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's topical as well. That typically has an effect on both the enthusiasm of the review and the scrutiny of the work.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can someone dig up a good peer reviewed study that shows how all those illegal kids are spreading the mystery illness? I'm waiting!

Top Bottom