• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP. be aware that the Solo is designed to work best with 9mm loads using heavier bullets. Loads using light bullets may be unreliable. Just thought I'd mention it fwiw.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I can't recommend ankle carry enough. The trade off is access, but for comfort and concealability with my LCP, you can't beat it.

Most times, I am ready to hop in bed before I remember I have it on. I even wear it in my PJ pants on the weekends.

Finally, if you don't like to carry it, you won't. I would rather have a longer draw time and have it on me than leave it at home because I didn't feel like strapping it on.

Ankle carry is not for everyone. It has been so long since I have seen my feet I don't remember what they look like. :rolleyes:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    First, IMO there is absolutely no reason to pay the premium for the PM9 over the CM9.

Although I have a pocket holster, the CM9 is too big for pocket carry in almost all situations. If the pants are tight, it will completely fill the pocket, print, and be hard to draw. If the pants are loose, it swings and bangs into your leg every time you take a step. You really need a goldilocks situation to make it comfortable.

The G26/27's are way too thick for front pocket.

The LCP/TCP are really the perfect size for this application, but they're hard to shoot well and the round is bare-minimum power. As much as I like them for times when you just can't use anything bigger, I'd hesitate to recommend them for an EDC.

Have you considered the J-frames? The roundness makes them better for pocket carry than you might think, and the .38sp is nothing to sneeze at.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Seems poor old KelTec PF9 has fallen out of favor now that everyone and their brother makes a pocket pistol. But let me remind everyone the venerable PF9 was not only the only kid on the block for a while but the King. I still have mine and love carrying it. I also have a newly acquired Walther PPS that I think my be replacing the PF9. I have often even carried the Walther P99C as a pocket gun. Fits perfectly in the rear pocket of jeans. Pocket carry is all about what suits your needs at the time. I vest carry the PF9 because it is so slim, the P99C is bulky but much nicer to shoot with 20 +1 capacity. When I run my dog in the field in the summer I usually just throw the P99c in my rear pocket and go.

I would make sure that if you really want a pocket gun you get a chance to shoot the model your are considering first. Not all pocket guns handle the same.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I really like the CM9 as others have said, and they can be had for around $350, way cheaper than the PM9. I have pocket carried mine, but it does print. I prefer the P238 for pocket carry, but 99% of the time the CM9 is IWB at 3 o'clock. Sometimes I forget it is there. Actually Monday I accidently carried somewhere that was a no no. Fortunately no one knew but me.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I really like the CM9 as others have said, and they can be had for around $350, way cheaper than the PM9. I have pocket carried mine, but it does print. I prefer the P238 for pocket carry, but 99% of the time the CM9 is IWB at 3 o'clock. Sometimes I forget it is there. Actually Monday I accidently carried somewhere that was a no no. Fortunately no one knew but me.
    That's the thing about all these guns being discussed: they are FANTASTIC as IWB. You'll hear guys all the time here say that they carry full sized models without a problem IWB, so imagine how much better these little guns are at it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That's the thing about all these guns being discussed: they are FANTASTIC as IWB. You'll hear guys all the time here say that they carry full sized models without a problem IWB, so imagine how much better these little guns are at it.

Agreed! I like to carry a Hi-power IWB, and it's really not bad, but the CM9 is just way better.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have pocket or ankle carried an LCP daily for a few years. I have recently switched to IWB carry of a glock 19. When the weather warms up I will likely go back to a subcompact or "pocket" pistol. I might go back to the LCP, but if so I will be trying an appendix or IWB holster.

I have carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a crappy uncle mike's holster and in a Crossbreed supertuck. I have carried an XD Subcompact in a Minotaur MTAC. I have carried an LCP in a leather pocket holster and a pretty decent Uncle Mikes ankle holster. I carry the Glock 19 in a tuckable in the Waist Band (IWB) holster made by Indiana's own Henry Holsters.

What I have learned from this experience is that the concealability of a handgun depends as much, if not more on the holster as it does on the gun itself. Do not skimp on your holster. Bite the proverbial bullet and buy a good holster right off the bat.

Also, if you are carrying a gun, a good, purpose made gun belt makes a shocking difference. I used to wear a beefy looking leather belt from a clothing store. Even though it was a big looking belt, it let the holstered pistol flop and stretch down. This caused the gun to shift more and made it print more. Next I bought a "gun belt" from an NRA advertisement. I support the NRA, but I was not impressed by the belt as it was not that much better than the Khols belt. I next purchased a kydex reinforced belt from Comp-tac. It is a heck of a belt. It does not look any different from a regular dress belt, but it is very stiff (not stiff against the contour of my body, but stiff against being crushed or twisting/canting. Every gun/holster I carry on it carries day and night versus my other belts. On the occasion that I am not carrying a gun inside or outside my belt, I still wear this belt because it's just an awesome belt. Really, cannot say enough about the importance of a proper gun belt. It's amazing how much more concealable a gun is when carried clipped to a proper gun belt.

I don't really have a suggestion as to what holster would work best with any of the firearms you mentioned, but I do want to stress that, once you choose a handgun, spend some time and research a good holster and belt to go along with it. A great little gun will print like heck in a poor holster or hanging on a floppy belt.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I have a Bodyguard 380..... I find that is more comfortable and less obvious in a IWB holster at 4 oclock..... I carry it in a pocket holster alot too... but, depending on the pants I have on, even that tiny gun prints a bit..... MIKE

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    With the right holster, it's easy to conceal a Glock 19 with dress pants and a dress shirt that's tucked in.

I'd rather carry a subcompact like a G26 or M&P9c IWB than pocket carry a micro pistol.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Skinny runt chiming in here. I purchased a PM9 when they first came out, and after breaking it in and some continued good practice, I won't leave home without it.

I like skinny jeans, and carry in the front pocket using a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. I was once asked by a good friend to carry to an event she was involved with. When I told her I always carry, and in fact was carrying while we were speaking, she was amazed as it didn't show.

I have fired several thousand rounds practicing with my PM9 and it has been what a personal defense weapon should be, 100% reliable. The amazing thing is I enjoy shooting it. It has a mild recoil and I can easily keep it on paper at the ridiculous distance of 25 yards, much longer than the pistol was designed for.

It is my almost constant companion being so light and easy to hide.

I don't know how the changes that cheapened the PM9 to make the CM9 affect accuracy or reliability, but it should be considered as Kahr makes some really nice pistols.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    You will be hard pressed to find a 9mm that fits comfortably in any pocket (with the exception of maybe a cargo pocket or coat pocket)... IMHO true pocket carries come in .380.

Berreta Pico, LCP, P3AT etc....

EDIT: I'm shocked so many people above can carry a Glock or PM9 comfortably in their pockets? I can't stand **** in my pockets!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Have you considered the J-frames?

Honestly I feel like I haven't given revolvers fair consideration. I was mostly interested in 9mm as it's cheap and I actually see it on the shelves now and then. Any suggestions I should look into? I know this isn't really a fair question to ask but I know next to nothing about most revolvers so I wouldn't even know where to start. I only own a cheapo .22 revolver for plinking (when I can find the ammo for that even) but I've heard the S&W Model 36 is nice.

I've been told in the past if I were to get a revolver I should go with .357 so I can shoot .38 special as well.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    I'm in Pike Township (NW Marion County) and have an LC9 if your interested in seeing how they shoot.

Thank you! When I'm able to PM people I might take you up on that. It's been one of those months so far where I never seem to have a free minute, but when my load lightens a bit I'd really appreciate anyone who would be nice enough to let me do that.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    Lets start with what I've owned and what I have carried.
    Ruger LC9- traded my sig sp2022 for the small compact size of it, It was fantastic carry piece and after shooting it for about 2 months (3-5 range trips) I finally hit the break in period and then I liked it very much, kind of got bored with it after a year and traded it for a snubby 38.

Glock 26- Mine had factory NS and it was a dream to carry, Took me a few mags to get used to the recoil and such but I really loved that pistol, traded it for a XDS 45, not to happy with my decision, but hopefully that'll changed once I get it back from recall (its 2-tone also :):) Glock 26 might be a lil big for pocket carry, I tried it once and kept having to pull up my pants.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I have the PM40 with laser and night sights as my carry gun, ran numerous rounds through it with no issues. Kahr recommends running 200 rounds through it to break it in before it can be deemed reliable. Even through those first 200 rounds I had no problems.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    You will be hard pressed to find a 9mm that fits comfortably in any pocket (with the exception of maybe a cargo pocket or coat pocket)... IMHO true pocket carries come in .380.

Berreta Pico, LCP, P3AT etc....

EDIT: I'm shocked so many people above can carry a Glock or PM9 comfortably in their pockets? I can't stand **** in my pockets!
    Agreed. You have to think about not just carrying it, but getting at it if you need it. So really the pocket has to hold both the gun and your fist around it. Put your hand in the front pocket of your Levi's, make a fist and pull it out to see what I'm talking about.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Honestly I feel like I haven't given revolvers fair consideration. I was mostly interested in 9mm as it's cheap and I actually see it on the shelves now and then. Any suggestions I should look into? I know this isn't really a fair question to ask but I know next to nothing about most revolvers so I wouldn't even know where to start. I only own a cheapo .22 revolver for plinking (when I can find the ammo for that even) but I've heard the S&W Model 36 is nice.

I've been told in the past if I were to get a revolver I should go with .357 so I can shoot .38 special as well.

I really like my LCR. Its light, but the Hogue "recoil tamer" grips live up to their name and make it much more pleasant to shoot than other snubbies.

I did a review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For a single stack 9, the Kahr is a tough customer to beat. Someone else mentioned a PF-9 (Kel-Tec) witch would be a decent pistol is money is a concern. Another one I am surprised I havent seen listed yet that would be worth looking into, the Springfield XDs. It is a might bigger than a PF-9, but is a solid pistol available in the 9mm, or 45 ACP if you want to put really big holes in stuff.

If you are looking into revolvers, I do enjoy my J-frame revolvers, and my wife is pretty fond of her LCR. Nothing says that a CC gun has to be an auto, plenty of revolvers out there that are just as easy(or easier) to keep hidden. Might want to check out this thread if you are thinking of going whelgun...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/333690-2014-great-snubbie-shoot-off.html

Top Bottom