A POSITIVE TREND IN GUN PRICES AT AUCTIONS ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    As many of you know I enjoy attending Firearms Auctions. Over the past couple of years I have bought and sold a number of guns (and ammo) at three reputible auction houses here in Indiana. I also participate in On-Line auctions quite a bit, not necessairily to bid, but build my understanding of the value of individual guns...or trends in the sales of those guns.

Anyway, As you all know prices have been climbing big-time, especially over this past year...to the point that I watch, but do not bid much as most of the final bids are too far over my budget limits that I just can't afford to buy them.

However yesterday I watched (on-line) an auction in Mississippi that set a new LOW in the typical prices for the guns listed. I won't go into specific price detail...but I will post a link to the auction listings and their selling prices. Even the ammo listed seemed (most of it) to be a bit more reasonable. The prices on many of the guns reminded me of what we paid a couple of years back here in Indiana. If you would like to check the guns and their prices, here is a link to the cataloge--

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=67375

To second that one. Here is a link to a North Caolina Auction on the 4th of July...skipp down to the guns and see how moderate the bidding is going on them. Now that is not the final bid, for sure...but the whole level is lower by a long shot than many of our local auctions. Here's the North Carolina Catalog.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=68090

I am really hopeful that these examples indicate a change in direction for the overall pricing activities for firearms around the country.

BTW- I don't bid online as most of these activities have a high-buyers premium...but I track what is happening and then attend the ones here in Indiana to get what I am after.

AL:rockwoot:

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Some of those prices looked pretty good.

I bid on proxibid one time. The auction was in California. They stuck me with $45 shipping a and handling and a 18 or 21 percent buyers commission. It was brutal.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I track a lot of the items for sale out of state...to learn about the 'real' sale price. I don't bid on-line due to the buyers premium that forces higher prices. I do follow the online auctions in Indiana, and if I think it would be worth attending and bidding in person, then I go. No premium at most of the auction houses here in-state...but some due charge a 10%, which I considerly unreasonable. Those places are getting money on each item, from both the seller and the buyer. That is not a fair thing to do, in my humble opinion.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Somebody paid $55 plus fees and maybe tax for a brick of 22 shorts that I just bought for $32 today. I'm not crazy about the price but that's what 22 shorts cost. Even before the Great Gouge they were $3 a box of 50 at Walmart. The bayonets in that auction went for a fair price for the locals. If an internet bidder won it, Holy Lord, 18% BP plus shipping and handling and credit card fees, forget it there went the deal.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I have been to about 5x gun auctions. From what I have seen they are not worth going to for firearms. Most of the time, used guns were going for retail prices. Although accessories were fairly priced. Ammo was stupid expensive.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Yeah, I have watched some folks bid way over retail price for a gun or more often, ammo. If you do your homework prior to bidding you can avoid getting caught up in one of those bidding 'catfights'.

The reason I posted this thread was to point out that at the two very recent auctions, that I provided links to, the final prices had dropped to more realistic levels. I am hoping that will be happening here in Indiana also in the near future.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I quit attending any auctions that advertised several firearms many years ago as most of the time the prices brought were well above retail. The only firearms I have purchased at auction were at estate sales where one or two guns were listed. Apparently they don't draw the frenzied crowd that the other sales do.

However I do agree with your consensus about the prices dropping. At the last Gun Show I attended most AR's were priced within 5 to 10% of pre-panic cost. Some of the surplus Military have also dropped to near normal. Still were many that were quite overpriced - but also didn't not see ANY selling! I have noticed several of the major sellers dropping their prices - I'm sure the bubble has burst.

Ammo is starting to drop, think it will happen in a hurry once a little stock remains on the shelves for a week and the speculators dump their supplies before they get caught with their pants down (We can only hope they eat much of it and lose some money).

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Retail prices here are back to last years prices. Every gun auction I have attended was a waste of time with items going for way over retail. Add buyers premium and FFL transfer fee you may as well buy from Gander Mtn. and save some $$$$$$ :patriot:

Top Bottom